Ljubljana or Zagreb?

Search

Ljubljana or Zagreb?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2022, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ljubljana or Zagreb?

I will be travelling from Istanbul and have a chance to stop in either Ljubljana or Zagreb for a few days. Any recommendations on which to choose? (Interests are in history, architecture, culture).

Thank you!
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No contest, Ljubljana, every time.

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ing-ljubljana/
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 11:15 AM

I loved both Zagreb and Ljubljana, but I do agree with thursdaysd. I would choose Ljubljana because while I think Zagreb is very interesting and an under-rated city, I think Ljubljana is prettier with its gorgeous architecture, the river and the bridges. Additionally, depending on how long you are going to be there, you can take a day trip to Lake Bled from Ljubljana. We also had better food in Ljubljana.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 04:57 PM

I agree with the recommendation to go to Llubjana and I wasn’t there! But we were in Zagreb this past fall and, though there is a charm to it, the city has been badly damaged by an earthquake over 2 years ago, and many of the buildings, including museums, in the lower town are closed. Llubjana looks like it’s a much more attractive city and will be more pleasing to spend time in.,
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 07:57 AM

The earthquake in Zagreb was not over two years ago, it was March 22, 2020. Some of the bigger museums are closed but many others are not. Zagreb is more cosmopolitan than Ljubljana but for sure Ljubljana is prettier. Also, there are plentiful easy day trips out of Ljubljana, not just Bled but others like Vipava Valley or Piran.

With several days you could manage to see both.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone!
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 03:37 PM

Ditto for Ljubljana. It's cuter than Zagreb, sort of like a mini-Vienna. We were in both cities in 2017. Ljubljana has architecture and food going for it, Zagreb might have more history. Both cites have good side trips but those from Ljubljana are closer and easier. If you plan to take side trips to the countryside I recommend renting a car. Highways are good in both countries and both cities are relatively car friendly.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 04:00 PM

I agree with MichGuy about renting a car for day trips. That's what we did when we were in Ljubljana for 3 nights. We rented a car for a day and drove to Lake Bled. We took a route that brought us over the mountains (not the highway) and we saw some spectacular scenery! I also recommend a "free" walking tour of Ljubljana. It was very interesting and well worth it, about 2 to 2.5 hours long. We tipped the guide, of course, which is probably expected which is why I put free in quotes.

If you wish, you can click on my name to read my trip report from September 2019. You will have to scroll down to read about Zagreb and Ljubljana. I describe the route we took to Lake Bled. Andrew, who used to post on this forum, detailed the route he took in one of his reports, and it was so spectacular.