Search

Spain split itinerary for 4/6 days in Andalusia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2022, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain split itinerary for 4/6 days in Andalusia

Help!
Itinerary advice needed for total of 6 days (friend will be with me 4 of 6 days.) Mid-March travel and departure airport is Madrid. Prefer to focus on Seville, Cordoba with friend (or Toledo when just me) instead of Madrid this trip. We want a mix of sightseeing, strolling through charming old town and enjoying good wine, food/tapas and views.

•Day 1- (3/17)arrive Granada (overnight)
•Day 2- (3/18)Granada>Cordoba (overnight)
•Day 3- (3/19)Cordoba (overnight)
•Day 4- (3/20)Cordoba>??? (Split itinerary begins) ARE PLACES OPEN ON SUNDAY?

Friend overnights in Madrid.
I have 2 more nights to explore, options are:
a.) go to Toledo (2 nts 3-20,21), return to Madrid 3/22 for flight home 3/23
b.) go to Seville from Cordoba (2 nts) return to Madrid evening of 3/22 for flight home on 3/23.

ALTERNATE ITINERARY WITH FRIEND
Go to Seville instead of Cordoba after Granada (will have 2.5 days (1.5 days if things are closed on Sunday??)

Old Feb 6th, 2022, 08:39 AM

What time do you arrive in Granada? It looks like you are there for only one night. Make sure you have time to see the Alhambra. Are you traveling by train?

I think you should go with your friend to Granada and Seville. Seville is beautiful and has so many important historical and cultural sites.

I have been to both Cordoba and Toledo, and I personally prefer Cordoba. The Mezquita is a must see, IMO. So, when you are alone, I suggest Cordoba and Madrid.

You should check the places you want to see online to see if they are open on Sundays. I checked the Alcazar in Seville and it is open 7 days a week in March.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 09:05 AM

I agree with KarenWoo, spend the extra time in Sevilla as you’ll already be in Andalucia. We too were there early March 2020 and really loved Córdoba, walking around in the evenings when the buildings are illuminated is lovely.

Granada is more than just the Alhambra, the climb up the Albaycin quarter, stop for a refreshing drink at a terrace with stunning views of the Alhambra. Do a walking tour of the Jewish quarter and visit the cathedral. And of course, go tapas hopping!

Sevilla merits more than a couple of days, we spent half a day just at the cathedral. But you’ll know how to work with your available time/days. See if you can fly out of Sevilla, could save time. Suggest you keep Madrid and Toledo for another trip…
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

geetika KarenWoo - thank you both for your replies. We will be in Almeria on business and the company is taking us to Granada for a day/night of sightseeing (so we will see the Alhambra)- I included that as “Day 1” since it’s our first day of exploring Andalucia. High speed train options departing Granada for Seville are 6:38am (arrive 9:07am) or 1:18pm (arrive 3:45pm.) My thinking is to explore a little more of Granada in the morning and then train to Seville in the afternoon.
I’ve read forums on choosing between Seville and Cordoba. Many mention Cordoba for shorter stay so was leaning in that direction (not knowing if we’d have enough time to do Seville justice) knowing we would like to move at a more casual pace. We would like to see the Cathédral, Alcazar and plaza and stroll the cobblestone streets, stopping for wine/tapas as we feel inclined- would these be possible? Should we plan to leave Seville on Sunday morning and together see some of Cordoba before my friend continues on to Madrid and I stay in Cordoba or should we plan to spend most of Sunday in Seville and she train direct to Madrid and I overnight one last night in Seville and head to Cordoba on Monday? Thoughts? Any recommended hotels in old town Seville or Cordoba? The Hotel Cetina and H10 Case de la Plata both look good in Sevilla. Cordoba? I’m open to suggestions in old town- Airbnb or hotel. We are completely flexible, just wanting to maximize our time.

Last edited by jcole77; Feb 6th, 2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 02:58 PM

jcole77,
I would take the later train from Granada to Seville to give you time to see Granada's center city top sights: the Cathedral and wonderful Royal Chapel (combo ticket) and to walk a bit into the evocative former ancient Arab quarter of Albaicín up to the Mirador de San Nicolás, as geetika suggests, for the stunning views of the Alhambra. The minibus 32 will also take you from the Gran Vía to just below the Mirador, where many passengers will get off to snap their photos.

Monument-filled Seville certainly requires more sightseeing time than Córdoba. Yes, Córdoba is the best of the two for a shorter stay.

We know Seville's H10 Casa de la Plata very well and spent 6 nights there on our last trip and will return there on our next. It's a lovely hotel with caring service (book the superior room).
In Córdoba in the old quarter, La Judería, I can recommend the lovely and small Balcón de Córdoba. We've also stayed at the Casas de la Judería, which is larger and rooms vary in size (deluxe doubles are more spacious) but also nice.

The only disadvantage to Córdoba on a Monday would be that Mon is the closing day for the tiny synagogue, the Alcázar (the gardens are lovely but Seville's Alcázar is far more stunning and takes a good 2 hours to see), the Arab Baths, the Palace of Viana, which isn't located in the Judería, and you most likely wouldn't have time to see in any event. But the Mosque-Cathedral is open on Mondays. You can download the March visiting hours for Córdoba monuments at the beginning of next month here (they vary from month to month):

https://www.turismodecordoba.org/mon...-opening-hours
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

@Maribel- sounds like we have similar lodging styles! I had those 2 hotels saved in Cordoba that you mentioned!

So it sounds like Seville is where we should go! Please see below itinerary make any suggestions/comments/critiques. I’ve never been to Andalucia and really not sure the best way to maximize time and sights- which is the goal.

•Day 1 (3/17)Granada (overnight)
•Day 2 (3/18)Granada>Seville (overnight)
(Train 1:18-3:45pm)
•Day 3 (3/19)Seville (overnight)
•Day 4 (3/20) **SPLIT ITINERARY BEGINS**

Option a.) Seville>Cordoba (overnight for me, friend goes to Madrid.)
Option b.) Seville (overnight for me, friend goes to Madrid- skips Cordoba.

•Day 5 (3/21) Cordoba* (overnight)
*If overnighted in Seville, go to Cordoba today
•Day 6 (3/22) Cordoba>Madrid (overnight)
•Day 7 (3/23) fly home from Madrid

Thank you in advance!

Old Feb 7th, 2022, 10:36 AM

jcole77,
For the SPLIT ITINERARY BEGINS
I would choose option b so that you can spend an extra night in wonderful Sevilla. While it's very nice and a luxury to have 2 nights in Córdoba, with your short itinerary, I would spend 3 nights in Seville and just 1 in Córdoba (if I'm understanding this correctly, which may or may not be the case!).

In Córdoba, in addition to the day visit to the Mosque-Cathedral there is also a special and popular one hour night visit, a type of sound and light show, "Alma de Córdoba" with audio guide--limited to 80 ticket holders. In March it occurs on Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays (on Sat there are 2 shows), but online tickets aren't available yet for March.

https://tickets.mezquita-catedraldec...f-cordoba/info
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

@Maribel- Thank you for this! Sigh….I found an amazing Airbnb with the most beautiful views of the city and the La Giralda tower but it’s not available on Sunday 3/20 so sounds like I have a decision to make! Either way, sadly we will miss the light show in Cordoba but our timing isn’t right for it. I do want to ask about the Seville card- Is it worth getting? Are skip the line day tours worth getting or should we book just tours directly online? Now for the train/bus scheduling! Debating the eurail pass since the Spain trains (even in advance) seem pricey!

Last edited by jcole77; Feb 7th, 2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 04:55 PM

The Eurail pass is never a good bet for Spain if one can book point-to-point tickets on www.renfe.com in advance. Renfe does accept Pay Pal.

Ditto to the city cards (Seville Card, Madrid Card, etc). I've never bought one of the ubiquitous city cards in Spain, as I feel they're overpriced and one would have to do a great deal of running around to reap maximum benefit from them..

I book the Alcázar tickets directly online (they can sell out and lines can be long after 11 am).
https://www.alcazarsevilla.org/en/schedules-rates/

If you want, you can buy Cathedral tickets online as well.
https://www.catedraldesevilla.es/cultural-visit2/

If you don't, and if you see that lines are long (can't be predicted) at the Cathedral, one can go first to the Iglesia del Salvador (which is magnificent and one should see it anyway) and purchase a joint ticket, Iglesia del Salvador + Cathedral (in Spanish, Entrada Conjunta Catedral) to skip the line. Both churches don't have to be visited in the same day. You have 2 days to use it, if memory serves.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

@Maribel- after all that worrying about split itinerary, our work trip isn’t happening but bc I’m going to visit my daughter in Valencia on front end- I’m still going to visit Andalucia- I’ll just be going solo for that part of trip now. Soooo…..here’s my thinking (and my dilemma- 2 nights in Cordoba or Ronda??) I will be renting a car in Granada to drive to Ronda so I can see some of the smaller white town villages en route (returning car upon arrival to Seville.) Also, should I book a tour to visit the Alhambra, Alcazar in Seville/Cordoba or do audio guide at own pace? I’ve never traveled solo (let alone in foreign country) and don’t speak Spanish so want to be smart about how I see/do things. I’m not on anyone’s time now but my own - there’s freedom in that but also some nerves too. I’m also open to hotel/Airbnb suggestions in Granada & Ronda.

Cordoba (1 or 2 nts??) arrive 5pm.
Granada (2 nts)
Ronda (1 or 2 nts?)
Seville (3 nts)
Madrid (1 nt before flight home)

Last edited by jcole77; Feb 10th, 2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 05:16 PM

jcole77,
So nice that you'll be able to visit your daughter in Valencia!
Just want to clarify--is it either or, Córdoba OR Ronda? Or is it what I think: 2 nights, as opposed to 1 in Córdoba OR 2 nights as opposed to 1 in Ronda?

I'm assuming you'll take the train from Valencia to Córdoba? You'll have a train change from AVE to AVE in Madrid's Puerta de Atocha station.
Then the AVE train from Córdoba to Granada?

Whether it's 2 nights in Córdoba or 2 nights in Ronda, it depends on how many of the white towns you wish to visit from Ronda.
We've based in Ronda for several nights to do that very thing, but to see 3 or 4 of them is more time consuming than one might think.
If you stay just 1 night you can tour Ronda (very pretty at night) and on the drive to Sevilla, stop in one of the prettiest pueblos blancos, Zahara de la Sierra or detour southwest to Grazalema then up to Zahara and then on your way to Seville. That drive, without stops, would take under 3 hours.

Córdoba is a lovely way to start your Andalusia tour and is beautiful at night with the Mosque-Cathedral illuminated and the tourist trinket shops in the souk-like Judería closed and with the departure of the bus loads of day trippers.

The Alhambra now has an excellent audio guide, so you may just want to use it and go on your own, although some prefer to go with a professional, licensed guide. It's a matter of personal preference.
Ditto to Seville's Alcázar, which is time consuming to see fully (allow 2 hours), and ime, you can skip the Royal Apartments, el Cuarto Real (we found that obligatory 30-minute guided tour underwhelming). What is most important is securing your entrance tickets in advance ASAP online.

We've stayed over the many years in lovely hotels in Granada and Ronda, and I could advise better knowing your personal preference (boutique with Andalusian cham? and more importantly, your budget. We don't use airbnbs in those cities.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

@maribel- Thank you for your quick reply! You understand correctly, I need to choose how many nights in Cordoba vs Ronda. I have 3 nights between the 2 cities. I haven’t decided on train vs plane yet- I’ve been looking at both. I’m also wondering if it doesn’t make sense to just go straight from Valencia to Granada>Ronda>Cordoba>Seville. I’d like to see Frigiliana and Osuna while I have the rental car and Osuna is on the way (between cordoba and Seville) so am wondering if maybe better to leave cordoba for end of week instead of beginning? This gives me time to see Cordoba without feeling as rushed since it’s only 45 min from Seville (by AVE.) Ive already booked a train and Airbnb in Seville so that will be my last stop before going to Madrid to fly home. As for hotels, I love boutique but regular hotels ok too- prefer cozy and home like (too formal) in old town with cobblestone streets and centuries old architecture. Balcon de Cordoba is perfect example! I love everything about it and plan to rebook for different days once I nail down my cordoba itinerary. A room view is nice (esp in Ronda and Granada) but a hotel that has a roof top balcony to enjoy is fine too.I’m definitely not much on big cities and prefer a place that is quiet for sleeping. I’m in good shape and don’t mind walking (hills/steps) but since I’m solo on this trip, I don’t want to have to walk a long way to get back to hotel at night. Good to know on tickets for sightseeing. I’ve looked at Alhambra and they are available (the reality of Covid & tourism I guess?!) We got lucky over Christmas seeing Neuschwanstein Castle last minute in Germany for that very reason. I also should mention that I’m going to Cuenca while in Valencia for a night so don’t know if that factors into the Ronda equation? I booked an Airbnb with Huecar view but am debating the Parador there instead- mostly for the experience, I prefer the Airbnb room better (and it has a fireplace if cooler at night.) ok-lmk ur thoughts!! Thank you in advance. You’ve been so helpful!
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 06:55 PM

To go from Valencia to Granada by train will be a very very long journey with connection through Madrid's Atocha station. By plane from Valencia to Granada you'll have a connection in Madrid and the best connection will take 3 hours, 35 min.
I would start in Córdoba if you choose to go from Valencia by train. Córdoba doens't have an airport.

Personally, I would skip Frigiliana as a not convenient detour from Granada, as there are other white towns (Grazalema, Zahara) that are as pretty, more authentically Spanish and Spanish speaking and not as much of an expat community attracting foreign residents (just a very personal feeling),
Osuna is beautiful (and very authentic), but you don't need a car to travel between Seville and Córdoba when the AVE is so convenient and quick.

As for small, cozy and intimate boutique hotels, I do love the Balcón de Córdoba, and I love the Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol in Granada (some rooms have private terraces and wonderful views of the Sierra Nevada--but it's hard to book due to popularity and the 2-night minimum), and the Santa Isabel la Real in the Albaicín is also lovely. The Gar Anat in the city center, tucked away on a square, is also quite nice, as is the Casa 1800, if you book an Alhambra view room.

For Cuenca--I've stayed at the Parador and the views are wonderful. What is important in a Cuenca lodging is that it be in the upper, atmospheric historic quarter and with gorgeous views of the gorge.

Last edited by Maribel; Feb 10th, 2022 at 07:04 PM.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Maribel- this seems to be my best option and fastest way to get to Cordoba from Valencia:

•VLC>SVQ nonstop, train to Cordoba (2 nts)- arrive 5pm.
•Cordoba>Granada (2 nts)
•*Granada>Ronda (1 nt) *p/u car in Granada
•Ronda>*Seville (3 nts)- *drop car in Seville. (Explore blanco pueblo towns on way to Seville.
Seville>Madrid (1 nt to fly home.)

Other option:
VLC>SVQ (non stop flight)- hire car in Seville
Seville>Ronda (1 nt)
Ronda>Granada (stopping in Antequera) 2 nts- return car in Granada
Granada>Cordoba (2 nts)
Cordoba>Seville (3 nts)
Seville> Madrid (1 nt before flying home)

Last edited by jcole77; Feb 11th, 2022 at 04:54 AM.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 11:59 AM

jcole77,
For option 1:
From the Seville airport to Seville's Santa Justa rail station to catch the Avant to Córdoba there is a flat taxi fare and also a line EA bus that runs straight from the airport to the rail station. There is an AVE that departs Santa Justa for Córdoba at 5:43 but not another one until 6:43, arriving Córdoba at 7:25. Will you carry on or check bags? That will slow you down at the airport.

(The quickest train connection, AVE-AVE, departs Valencia at 3:10 and arrives in Córdoba at 7:19--a ride of 4 hrs. 9 min.)

For option 2:
The drive from SVQ to Ronda should take a bit over 2 hours, w/o stops.
This option seems simpler to me with the need for the rental car only on Seville to Ronda to Granada portion.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

@Maribel- I started this 2 days ago and thought I sent but since I didn't, here's my final itinerary, thoughts?
My itinerary starts at end of my trip to Valencia (visiting my daughter who lives in the Region).
2 nts Cordoba, 2 nts Granada, 1 nt Ronda, 3 nts Seville, 1 nt Madrid (traveling mid March)

•Day 1 Valencia*>Cordoba (overnight) *decided to train -easier and earlier arrival than flying.
•Day 2 Cordoba -Mezquita in morning (overnight
•Day 3 Cordoba >Granada (train, overnight -Albaicín)
•Day 4 Granada -Alhambra in morning (overnight)
•Day 5 Granada*>Ronda (overnight Ronda)
*pick up rental car at Europcar @ train station (booked w/Autoeurope) Stop in Antequera on way?
•Day 6 Ronda > Seville -stopping at white villages on way (overnight)
•Day 7 Seville (overnight) *return rental car in morning-need safe, overnight parking recommendation
•Day 8 Seville (overnight)
•Day 9 Seville>Madrid (overnight near airport)
•Day 10 Fly home to USA

Few Questions:
Itinerary ok or need tweaking?
Looking for Covid (antigen) test site recommendation in Seville (not at airport)
When is the best time to visit the Mosque in Cardoba (morning or afternoon? Climb the tower before or after Mosque?
Best time of day to visit the major sites in Seville (morning or afternoon?)

As always, thank you in advance!!!

Last edited by jcole77; Feb 13th, 2022 at 05:06 AM.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 01:15 PM

Hi jcol77,
Day 5: the drive from Granada rail to Ronda--yes, Antequera makes a very nice stop. It's a lovely town.
https://www.antequera.co.uk

Day 6: A nice and picturesque drive from Ronda to Seville would be to take the A-372 down to Grazalema (charming white town, Payoyo cheese and blanket makers), then from Grazalema take the winding CA-631 through the Puerto de Pajares pass up to my second favorite white town, Zahara de la Sierra, with castle ruins atop the town, sitting on a lake, then from Zahara back up to the major highway A 376.

Day 6: rental car return-- can you not return the rental car at the Europcar location at the Santa Justa rail station at Avenida Kansas City upon your arrival in Seville? The office there stays open late.
Secure car parking for overnight--there's the underground garage at Cano y Cueto, close to the Murillo Gardens, before entering the maze of the Barrio de Santa Cruz.
https://www.interparking.es/en/find-parking/CanoyCueto/

Day 9: we *almost* never stay at airport hotels near Barajas but we're making an exception next month (getting in very late, flying to Lisbon the very next morning) and will stay at the Hilton Airport (we're Hilton Honors members). It's very comfortable, as we have a friend who stays there regularly.

Seville: Rapid Covid antigen test- There' the Centro Médico MAFRE at Luis Montoro 25--costs 25 euros. But I've never used it.
https://www.saludsavia.com/servicio/...mapfre-sevilla

Córdoba Mosque/Cathedral best time: I don't know if it's the best, but we go when it opens before the day trippers arrive on the train from Seville or Madrid. It can (or could, pre Covid) get very crowded by mid-morning. Then I would visit the tower afterwards.

Seville best time to visit sites: Again, pre Covid we always visited in the morning, as the Alcázar and Cathedral can have very long lines by mid-morning. That's why we purchase our Alcázar tickets online in advance. Again, if you don't want to purchase a Cathedral ticket in advance, you can go first to the magnificent Baroque Iglesia del Salvador when it opens at 11 and purchase a joint ticket there, which is valid for 2 days for both monuments.
Hope this helps!

Old Feb 15th, 2022, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi @maribel-
Having trouble with my posts showing up for some reason?! Anyway, please know I always appreciate your helpful info! Thanks for answering all of my questions-I truly appreciate it and hope it helps others wondering the same. I did ask about an early drop off and found out I can so will definitely plan on that.
(I got a good rate so didn't know if I could.) I've re-read some of this thread again and have a few questions and comments based on my itinerary and looking up some your boutique hotels & white village recommendations.

•On Cuenca, the Airbnb I'm currently booked for is directly across from the Parador (with Huecar views.) I'm having a hard time deciding between the "experience" of staying at the Parador and the Airbnb (which feels cozier but has equally impressive views.) Price is basically the same. Thoughts since you've stayed before? Here's a link to Airbnb:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4562045...8-afe1a3af0b3d

•Granada- I'm booked to see the Alhambra at 10am. I'm currently staying at an Airbnb in Granada for 2 nts with beautiful views of the Alhambra in Albaracín (2 minute walk from Casa Bambo or 5 min from Hotel Casa 1800.) I also love the quaintness of the Carmen de la Alcubilla delCaraco- it's definitely closer to the Alhambra than my airbnb but now I'm questioning if I even want 2 nts in Granada OR 1.5 days (1 nt) and then start working my way to the white villages. I truly LOVE quaint and charming more than I do a bustling or crowded city so therein lies my struggle. I've researched other forums and am leaning towards 1 night in Granada (this way, I can see the Alhambra lit up at night and explore it and the town by day.) This itinerary also give me extra time to see some the other Pueblos Blancos. I'd love to hear from you and others on this. From what I see in pics- Granada looks great (I'm a mountain lover) but the villages REALLY are speaking to me more. Hard decision. I will say it was easy for me to know I wanted to stay in Cordoba for 2 nights (when most people say to day trip) because I love the quaintness of it (and I've not even been yet!) Granada isn't exciting me as much as some of the smaller villages but definitely a place I want to go for a night. My biggest thing about where I lay by head (besides charm and a lovely views) is that it be quiet at night. Ronda (and the surrounding white villages) seem to be small slices of heaven- some much needed peace and quiet with beautiful scenery while also providing some much needed down time in the middle of a 2 week trip. Thoughts on any of this and why are much appreciated.

Thanks for info on booking sites in Cordoba/Seville. I'm not opposed to buying early- just didn't want to buy until I had an idea of ideal time bc you have to purchase a time (maybe that's a covid thing now?) I did book the Alhambra for the morning (as mentioned) early bc I had bus tourists in mind. I do like the idea of not always rushing out the door every morning for sites I can see just as easy in the afternoon but wasn't sure "siesta" impacted these things.

Curious, if I decided to hike El Caminito del Ray one day- any recommendations on best time to do that (given my itinerary?) I love spending time outdoors and in nature (hiking, skiing) and the beautiful thing about being a solo traveler on this trip is that I can be flexible with my days so wanted to ask.

Thanks again!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 03:28 PM

Hi,
I'm happy that you'll be able to drop off your rental car upon arrival in Seville--just saves so much hassle.

About Cuenca:
I like the looks of the loft and it's an easy walk from the Plaza Mayor. Is the entrance at street level? If it has the same Huécar views as the Parador, and a view of the Casas Colgadas, and you like the cozy look of it, I'd say go for it.

We stay in the historic Paradors (aren't super huge fans of some of the purpose-built, modern ones) because we find them really atmospheric and often with huge rooms, plus we're Amigos members and use the points built up for free stays.

Granada:
the Carmen de la Alcubillo del Caracol is very quiet, secluded, with a pretty lemon tree-filled garden and away from the hustle and bustle of downtown, yet one can walk downtown from there and walk up to the Alhambra Entrance Pavilion. It feels very much like an elegant art-filled private home. We like sitting out on our private terrace at night to soak up the beautiful views of the city below and the Sierra Nevada in the distance. But...it does have that 2-night minimum.
The airbnbs in the lower Albayzín are fine so long as at least one of the rooms has a frontal Alhambra view, which is the whole point of stay there.
It sounds to me that you'll be happier with just one night in Granada.
If so, you'll want lodging that's very handy and not in the upper reaches (the more scruffy parts) of the Albayzín and again, with those Alhambra views. And you'll want quiet at night, so something not on a major street constantly busy with passing pedestrians and lots of nightlife, so I would eliminate anything on the Plaza Nueva.

About the white towns:
Some here would say that Ronda wasn't their slice of heaven or their cup of tea because they only know it from a high season day trip, when it does (or did, pre-Covid) get clogged with day trippers and bus tours up from the coast.
We go in the off season and stay several nights so to enjoy the peace and quiet and magic of La Ciudad (the evocative former Arab quarter) relatively to ourselves. I fell in love with Ronda in 1971 when I stayed at the Reina Victoria and had the most spectacular views from my terrace (it's now a very contemporary Catalonia hotel). Because of this I've been returning ever since, but I have the advantage of being able to give it time, so as to soak up the atmosphere, and we take lots of day trips into the mountains. The same goes with Arcos--don't enjoy it as much on a day trip but love it at night. We stay at the Parador there (modern style but with great views). I haven't spent the night or nights in Zahara de la Sierra or Grazalema or Olvera. I would do so but the lodging choices there are more limited and there's less to enjoy at night.

Pre-booking monument visits:
You don't need to pre-book days in advance. Once there, you can judge what the lines look like, and even book online the night before or morning of.

I can't give advice on El Caminito since I've never hiked it, but I do know that you need to book in advance and plan on plenty of time to do this. I'd look on the TA forum for advise because posters there have shared their experience.

Hope this helps!

Old Feb 15th, 2022, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Once again, so helpful Maribel! I trust your sense because I think we have similar travel styles and likes. This Airbnb in granada appears to have amazing views of Alhambra, white village and good reviews too but looks pretty close to Plaza Nueve. Since you know the area - would this be a good choice or too noisy? https://abnb.me/5kdtpekiGnb.

La Escondida B &B in Ronda looks relaxing. It has sweeping views of the valley that look amazing and the reviews are spectacular- breakfast in the garden sounds like a nice way to start any day! The Parador in Arcos looks great too but may be too far west given the other towns (Zahara and Grazalema) you mentioned??? Especially since I only have 2 days and definitely would like want to see Osuna too.

In reality, if I left Granada after my Alhambra tour at 10 (not sure how long it takes to tour and then get car?) what is my best route for that first day of driving and where should I overnight? I’m thinking I may want to base in 2 different locations to see more (or should I just base in Ronda for 2 nights and explore from
there before I work towards Seville?)

I’m good on my itinerary except for the white village days (and where to stay there and in Granada.) As always, welcome any expertise or thoughts!

Last edited by jcole77; Feb 15th, 2022 at 06:13 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -