Where to spend five nights in the Dolomites this September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2022, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are spending two weeks in Italy this (early) September and have five nights at the end of the trip to spend in the Dolomites. We’ll have a car, driving up from Venice. When we leave we have to return the rental car in Venice and then immediately catch a train down south, so I was thinking of splitting up the time between two locations so we could end closer to Venice since it’s a long day of travel.

We’re in our 30s and mostly looking for shorter hikes, generally 8km or less, and just enjoying the alpine towns and villages. Horseback riding in Alpe di Siusi would be fun too. If there are areas that are less touristy we certainly wouldn’t mind that. Many people seem to recommend staying in Val Gardena - is three nights enough to enjoy it? For a second stop I was thinking about Belluno, as it has great hiking and close proximity to Prosecco country/Venice, so I would have two nights there.

Is this too rushed, or does it allow me to cover a lot of ground? Any alternative suggestions? Am I missing out on Tre Cime?
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 08:06 PM

That area has one of our favorite hotels in all of our travels...https://www.uhrerhof.com/en.html . Wonderful views, incredible food and it appears they've recently added an infinity pool. The place isn't cheap but comes with 2 meals and access to the spa. Came a 2nd time to bring our kids and they loved it as well. Truly a wonderful experience and a great place to wind down after a day of hiking, skiing or just driving around that beautiful area.
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 09:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Three nights is two full days. You wouldn't see a whole lot of the Dolomites in 2 days. Distances aren't that great, but road speeds are low. I would want to spend all 5 nights in the Dolomites.

We've stayed in Bolzano, Ortisei, Cortina, Brunico and San Candido and until Covid had been planning another trip staying in Bressanone, Merano and Madonna di Campiglio. All of our trips have been at least a week, and each time we've left knowing we wanted to see more.

You should do some research and develop a list of what you want to see in the Dolomites. There are hikes everywhere and some of the cable cars may still be running, but you might also want to drive over particular passes, see some lakes, visit some smaller towns, explore a World War I site, etc. Once you have a sightseeing/driving list, find a central location or two. It definitely feels less Italian the farther north you go.

https://inafarawayland.com/mountain-...-stopping-for/

https://www.dolomites.org/things-to-do/lakes/

If time allows (which I doubt it will), I highly recommend the Otzi exhibits at the South Tyrol Archeological Museum in Bolzano.
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 10:54 PM

Look at AlpenHotel Panorama in Alpe de Susi or Hotel Feichter in Bolzano! Nice couple runs the hotel in Bolzano and will help you with buses to hiking. Plus the gondola in town takes you up the mountain in town.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 10:24 PM

We have stayed in Ortisei many times and love it.
We do not drive and happily use public transport.
Our favourite hotel is https://www.hotelgrones.com/en/

It is not as big or grand as Wekiva's suggestion, but the views are magnificent, the food is amazing and is it a lovely and relaxing place.
We are eagerly awaiting the chance to return!