Seattle in September

Old Feb 5th, 2022, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle in September

Hello All, I am trying to plan a September 2022 trip to Seattle WA. It will be first visit. The anchor of the trip is attendance of a live show on Sat eve 9/8. I haven't purchased airfare yet. My plan is Sept. 1-8 Seattle & area, and then on to San Francisco. May sound like an odd combination. A favorite show listed these two locations as their farewell. I've never been to either state , so it sounded like a fun opportunity to just see a bit of each.

Any suggestions for a week in Seattle would be appreciated.I travel solo, like museums, music and performing arts, parks, food including street food. I need the change of scenery and love to walk. I have had 2 complete knee replacements so would look for gentle to intermediate activities. Also, I am tired, meaning I want to relax and enjoy, rather than run, run run. From what I've researched so far, 1 week seems a good choice.
What do you recommend that is close enough that I can explore on a day trip? Not averse to an overnight stay. If possible, if like to use public transport and avoid car rental. Until I book my air I would consider going directly to some destination, like Orca or San Juan Islands but, where I can walk or use shuttles and public transpo to get to Seattle...but I'll be arriving before Labor Day, so I don't want you to get clobbered on hotel rates. It looks like Mt. Rainer and Mt. St. Helen's are too far for this trip, and require a car since the rail stopped due to COVID.

The event is at Town Hall. I've been looking at hotels if anyone has a good experience to share, that would be great.

Thank you!
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 04:42 AM

It will be a longish day but if you are able take an early ferry to Butchart Garden in Victoria, You can then catch a bus to the garden. Lots of walking and beautiful flowers. I like to go one way and then walk it the other direction. If you wanted to stay overnight in Victoria then do it. We loved the area. There is a shipping container on the warf the has excellent sea food. https://www.redfish-bluefish.com/. The harbor is really pretty and has lots a sailboats. * Covid might make it hard to do this…or it might not.

The Seattle Japanese Garden is really pretty.

Chihuly Garden and Glass https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/

San Juan Islands is a ferry ride. When you come on the ferry, you’ll be in the town of Friday Harbor. There are many cute boutique shops to visit and restaurants with a view of the water. A popular activity is to go whale watching at Lime Kiln Point State Park. Since this is one of the farthest Seattle day trips, you may decide to extend it into an overnight trip.

Another day trip option is the ferry to Bainbridge. We walked all over and then had lunch outside before taking the ferry back.

Food Trucks in Seattle:
https://seattle.eater.com/2015/6/10/...le-food-trucks

I would look at Booking.com for hotels.
I did see this one and is a neat old building. https://www.palisociety.com/hotels/seattle

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 08:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Ordinarily (i.e. pre-Covid) this would be easy as Labor Day weekend is when the wonderful Bumbershoot music and arts festival takes place at Seattle Center (Space Needle, Chihuly, MoPop etc.) Sadly, the pandemic coincided with the previous production company's removal as the festival's manager, and the City has announced that a new production team is "re-imagining" Bumbershoot with the aim of launching the new and improved version next year (2023.) So it's off the table, apparently.

Which is not to say that this is a desert for music and arts in the meantime. I'd look at The Stranger - The Stranger: Seattle's Only Newspaper - for updated listings of arts and music activities across the city.
I travel solo, like museums, music and performing arts, parks, food including street food. I need the change of scenery and love to walk.
There's certainly no shortage of museums - the Seattle Art Museum and its art deco sister, the Asian Arts Museum in Volunteer Park are certainly worthy targets - check out their exhibit pictures closer to your travel dates. But there are several other museums worth noting, especially the wonderful Museum of Flight at Boeing Field just south of downtown, the Museum of Pop Culture (aka MoPop) at Seattle Center, the Chihuly exhibit at the foot of the Space Needle, the Olympic Sculpture Park, the (quite fab IMO) Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI) on Lake Union, a couple of terrific art and history museums on the University of Washington campus, the Museum of Glass, LeMay Auto museum and State Historical museum in Tacoma, and on and on.

For out of town excursions, the ferries have already been mentioned. I would caution that without a car some of the island destinations might be difficult - the ferry docks can be some distance from the key sights (e.g. Lime Kiln Point) and local transport options can be very limited. There are plenty of local tour companies that will take you to Mount Rainier or Snoqualmie Falls (not a lot of water in September) as well as other destinations.

One thing you might consider is an overnight trip to Vancouver BC, assuming cross-border travel is "normal" by September. Amtrak runs two trains daily (early morning and late afternoon) in both directions. The four-hour trip is quite scenic in parts, and the fares are quite affordable. In Vancouver there are scads of things to see and do, such as walking through iconic Stanley Park, or if you're interested in gardens, those in Queen Elizabeth II Park rival Butchart's (except they're free, unlike Butchart's $$$ fees.) And of course Vancouver is well known for its vibrant arts scene as well as being one of North America's most beautiful cities (like Seattle.) You might have a look at Bard on the Beach, Vancouver's annual Shakespeare festival, a family favorite - make that favourite - of ours. https://bardonthebeach.org/

Mainly, though, I'd poke around town and enjoy late summer in our fair city. See the houseboat jungle on Lake Union, eat great Mexican food and maybe rent a kayak at Agua Verde on Portage Bay. Hit a baseball game, ride the West Seattle water taxi over to Seacrest Park, walk (2 miles) around Duwamish Head to Alki Beach (with our own wee Statue of Liberty) then back to the water taxi dock for drinks and sliders at Marination Ma Kai. https://goo.gl/maps/kuTRj5kzEbybfkMF6

Or walk (or canoe) through the Union Bay wetlands, right next to the UW campus but feeling like you're in another world. Play "name that vegetable," then nosh at the food court at the wonderful Uwajimaya Asian superstore in the International District. And of course, hit the Pike Place market - early in the morning is best before the masses arrive.

The first week of September is still deep in the Alaska cruise season, so hotels in central Seattle are going to be pricey, full stop. I would make finding affordable lodgings a top priority.

Happy planning!
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 04:48 PM

Hotels will likely be very pricey at that time of year. We’ve stayed at the Kimpton and the Marriott near Pioneer Square. Prefer the Kimptons.

Favorite restaurants: Matt’s in the Market (have loved since we lived in Seattle 18 years ago), Jack’s Fish Spot (take away and the best cioppino in the Market), Emmett Watson’s Oyster Bar (casual oysters in the Market), The London Plane (Pioneer Square and such a pretty restaurant), Delancey (wood fired pizza in Ballard), The Walrus and the Carpenter (one of my favorite restaurants anywhere, oysters in Ballard), Ba Bar (a few locations but like Capital Hill), Xian Noodles (pulled noodles in the U District), Champagne Diner (great brunch spot sort of near the Space Needle).
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Great informatiom. I will start on lodging and let you know how I do. I am still mapping out transportation. Will update here as I go. I was actually looking at the Kimptons, as they came up in something I was researching in another state. If anyone has a good airbnb or other experience, please share.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:28 AM

We stayed at a small hotel called the Mediteranean inn last summer and id recommend it. It's in the Queen Anne neighborhood which is a pleasant area. There were lots of restaurants nearby and the rooms had a small kichenette area. Let me know if you have any questions
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 10:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Sorrento Hotel is right by Town Hall - a 5 minute walk.

This B&B is in my neighborhood (I live on Capitol Hill near Volunteer Park) - https://www.sbmansion.com/

ninasdream - Gotta run this morning but will get back to this thread this afternoon with some more input on what I'd do with one week here.

btw ~ Nothing odd about Seattle and San Francisco for a trip!
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Vt- great I am going to check it out!

Suze - thanks for the tips, and re: Seattle-San Fran combo, as Bartles & James ads used to say, "Thank you for your support". Does this mean there is a possibility we can meet up while I am in Seattle?

I need to check who our Seattle Fodorites are and connect!
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:17 PM

The Argosy Boat tours are fun, relaxing. I have done the waterfront tour but I think there are other ones- Lake Washington maybe. Mt Ranier is so beautiful. Maybe yo could catch a Greyhound Tour from your hotel.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Sunburn - the boat tour sounds great. I will check out a few, and I have been looking at Mt. Ranier and Mt. St. Helens to see if I could manage a trip to either. I am trying to avoid a car, so a bus and shuttle or local day/overnight tour would be great. Thanks for the vote - it does look stunning.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 02:26 PM

I agree 100% about Argosy for some kind of a cruise on the water!! The Bainbridge Island ferry is another good alternative (cheaper) because you walk on in downtown (Pioneer Square-ish) and it's a scenic (if the weather is clear) 1/2 hour ride each way. 10 mins. walk up to a little 'main street' area with some shops, bakery, pubs, restaurants.

You don't need a car if you fly in - stay downtown or on Queen Anne or Capitol Hill and do things in or near the city. If you want to start heading out to the national parks and hiking etc. that's another story.

If I were in Seattle for a week, I would stay at Shafer Baillie or Gaslight Inn. Really easy transportation on Metro bus or the Cap Hill Light Rail (John & Broadway).
https://www.seattlegaslightinn.com/

And go to:
the Pike Place Market
Space Needle
Chihuly Glass Garden
Pioneer Square Underground Tour
Seattle Art Museum (downtown SAM and the Asian branch in Volunteer Park on Capitol Hill)
if you are museum crazy there's also: MoPOP, the Frye, NAAM, Wing Luke, the Henry, etc.
Somewhere up high if the weather is clear - Space Needle, Sky View Observatory, and Smith Tower are all interestingn in their own ways.
Japanese Garden in the Arboretum (isn't open quite yet, hopefully soon)
the Pike/Pine corridor include the Elliott Bay Book store.
Madison Park is nice. End of the #11 Metro bus line. On Lake Washington with a beach/park, restaurants, shops, etc. just a couple miles east from downtown.
Chinatown/International District

... oh dear the list is endless!

I'll have more to say as you pin things down

Last edited by suze; Feb 9th, 2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

One question: is it too early to book the airfare? I'd be looking at 3 one way tickets here to Seattle and San Fran to home, right now just over $300 a piece with one stop from the local airport, and I can get the times I want for departure and arrival. A flight Seattle to San Fran will be @$80 right now..

Thing is I haven't really started on my itinerary yet. I figure I can pin down the flights and then filling around the dates. My only concern is that if I don't set things up a bit I may wish I had waited

Suze- you're hired! We've chatted here many times over the years. This info is amazing. You've hit on many things l like to do. And I am a museum nut, so I'll have to strive for balance. I think, for the most part, I'd like to keep it local. I will probably check cancel policies and start to look at hotels and book. It's been a full day. Sweet travel dreams all.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 08:57 PM

Happy to help (and chat again). I'm not native to Seattle but have lived here for many years. And in my office career did quite a bit of event planning, so know hotels and restaurans from that as well.

Have you looked at booking a multi-city plane ticket instead of 3 one-ways? I have no experience with that, just wondering what the best option would be. You don't really need an "itinerary" for a week in Seatle if you are just staying in the city.

Please do run your hotel choices by us here. What you don't see on a map are the hills (!!) and some areas of downtown are a bit rougher than others as we ease thru the covid pandemic recovery.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 10:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Amtrak Coast Starlight leaves King St. station every day. I would not spend more than 4 days in Seattle before moving southward. Take the train to Portland. Visit the rose test gardens and maybe the zoo.
The Coast Starlight has a stop in Emeryville with a bus over to San Francisco.
Seattle's King Street station is within walking distance of the football stadium where the Seahawks play. Check their schedule. Traveling solo, you might be able to stay in the HI hostel (former American Hotel) which is also within walking distance of the train station and the football stadium.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 10:06 AM

The train is an interesting idea. But would take a lot longer than flying Seattle to San Francisco. I don't see why you'd want to cut Seattle short to do this. And I personally do not recommend staying in a hostel here. And she didn't say anything about wanting to include Portland
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 08:29 AM

Hello,
My sister and I just took our 1st trip last Aug. & you will love Seattle! We only stayed 4 days & wished we had more time. The time we did have though, was well planned & everything worked out great. We stayed at the Paramount Hotel, which we got a reasonable deal on & was very nice. From the airport, we took the light rail & the stop was near our hotel. We walked or took public transportation everywhere, only splurging on an Uber once to get to Gasworks Park which you could really miss. We were within walking distance of the Pike's Place Market, and Alaskan Way. You can spend a day in this area checking everything out. Plenty of places to sit by the water, but you must take the Argosy Harbor Cruise to see everything. We got the City Pass before we went and got good deals on the cruise, space needle & Chihuly Glass Museum which were all amazing. The monorail ride takes you right to it & it's only a 2 min. ride & runs all day. We also went to MoPop which you would like if you're into Pop culture & music. Enjoy! and if you have any other questions, let me know.
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 09:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=suze;17332889]The train is an interesting idea. But would take a lot longer than flying Seattle to San Francisco. I don't see why you'd want to cut Seattle short to do this. And I personally do not recommend staying in a hostel here. And she didn't say anything about wanting to include Portland [/QUOTE/
The Amtrak Coast Starlight travels overnight to Emeryville. The fare is quite likely to be less than a night in the Kimpton. If you fly, you will be paying for the flight and a room in San Francisco. If you book a Roomette, you don't have to wear a mask in the room and you can get breakfast between Sacramento and Emeryville. The sleeping car attendant can set up the room from bed to dining table and then bring you food so that you don't have to go to the dining car.
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 04:38 PM

michelle/#16 ~ Thanks so much for posting about Seattle. Nice to see someone new on these forums. Glad you enjoyed our fair city. And I agree, I don't get the buzz about Gasworks Park (ha-ha).

tunfuller ~ Yes I know all that. Wouldn't be how I'd spend my time. But like I said... interesting idea.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 04:44 PM

Gosh Seattle sounds amazing! What Is Orca Island and San Jean Island?
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 08:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lrice
Gosh Seattle sounds amazing! What Is Orca Island and San Jean Island?
Orcas and San Juan Islands are two of the major islands in the San Juan Islands group, in the Salish Sea between the mainland and Vancouver Island (BC.) Both are accessible by ferry from Anacortes, WA, which is on Fidalgo Island but accessible by road. https://goo.gl/maps/wLjGQzzVFycR1cTk9

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -