Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best town in England for 60 yr old couple-1st time traveling-40th Wedding Anniversary

Search

Best town in England for 60 yr old couple-1st time traveling-40th Wedding Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I am planning a surprise trip for my parents 40th anniversary / my Mom's 60th birthday. They have both dreamed about traveling to England for such a long time.

What I'm looking for is a great small town for them to stay. Here is what I'm looking for.
-Town that's easy to travel around-They are going to be there for around 3 weeks.
-Lot's to see and do in that town but not a big tourist town-want the authentic feel
-Affordable but nice rental houses (I'm thinking from the movie "The Holiday")...I know.
-Be close enough to a bigger city-Maybe no more than 1 to 1.5 hours from a big city-have train near by?
-Have local plays/live entertainment
-I'm not sure which airport they will fly in to but a town that can easily be reached or traveled to from the airport
-They love castles so a town near one would be amazing.

This will be my parents first ever trip out of the States and first ever trip on a flight.
I would love to find them a great little town where it isn't too daunting for first time ever travelers. I want a town where they have lots to do in that town, they love outdoor venues, but can take a nearby train to another town to visit while they are there.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, tips, travel advice, and experience from anyone who has traveled there or from someone who lives there.
Thank you.

Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It depends on what size is a town or city for your parents.

I might look at Cambridge or Ely or Bury-st-edmunds (big to small)
or
York (might be too big)
or
Oxford depends a bit where in town you choose Jerico might be good but not sure about summer rent availability
or
Oakham, Stamford and Peterborough (small to big)
or
Truro

Interesting question, I'll think, could you have a look online at some of these and feedback your views?

Last edited by bilboburgler; Feb 3rd, 2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 10:04 AM

When we are back in the U.K. we house and pet sit for a number of people in different locations around the country.

As it is your parents first trip out of the US I would strongly suggest somewhere within easy reach of London as their will be many, many sights there that they would/should want to see. The chances are that they will fly into Heathrow so perhaps somewhere on the Heathrow side of London.

Small towns that would be high on my list include;

Henley on Thames
Marlow

Spend a fair amount of time in both of those places, usually for around a month at a time. Both are right on beautiful stretches of the Thames, have plenty of wonderful walks close by ( you can even walk between the two towns alongside the town. Both have a plethora of nice pubs, independent shops etc. My wife prefers Marlow but I prefer Henley. Henley has the edge on pubs and has a great theatre. Marlow has the edge on restaurants including the 2 Michelin starred pub, The Hand and Flowers which would make a terrific venue for an anniversary dinner. Great atmosphere and incredible food.

Marlow I think has direct trains into London, Henley requires a change in Reading. We usually drive into London but I think the train takes around an hour from both.

Other nice small towns that spring to mind include Oakham or Uppingham in Rutland . Both great traditional market towns but more difficult to reach a large city.

Somewhere in the Cotswolds maybe? Broadway, Stow on The Wold, Burford, Cheltenham, Winchcombe are all places that could suit.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 10:31 AM

This is the sort of thing the Daily Telegraph does - best towns for nice, posh people etc., = twee cathedral cities.

Anyway, try Skipton or Beverley in the north
https://www.welcometoskipton.com/
https://www.yorkshire.com/places/eas...shire/beverley

St Albans or Winchester in the south
https://www.enjoystalbans.com/
https://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 10:41 AM

How about Rye in East Sussex. It is still unspoilt with narrow cobbled streets lined with old houses and oozes charm and character. It is quintessentially English. It is sufficiently small to be able to walk everywhere. It has a railway station, so is in easy reach to London for days out as well as places along the south coast. Have a look here for some pictures and things to do
https://sussexbloggers.com/tips-for-...e-east-sussex/
and also here.
https://www.visit1066country.com/destinations/rye
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 10:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The problem with the Cotswolds is accessibility to trains and convenient buses.

Question . . . just how 'surprise' is this trip?? Because do you know for sure a small town is what they'd want? Visiting small towns/villages is great, and a a few nights in one can be relaxing. But for three weeks and for first timers (not just 1st timers in England, but 1st time traveling any distance). Also WHEN is this trip - time of year can make a difference re where one might want to be.

If it was me on a 1st trip to the country, I'd want a 'full service' city -- not London or other huge place (though in fact London would be MY first choice for a 3 week stay if it was going to be all in the same location). But a true city with lots to see and do, including cultural events, and good rail connections. . . . AND medical facilities. Several already mentioned . . . York - an amazing city with the glorious Minster, great museums, 2-ish hours by train from London, Medieval city center, convenient for day trip by train or bus to places like the coast, Durham, the Dales; Oxford or Cambridge - Very similar cities on opposite sides of the country. Beautiful collegss, great museums, good rail connections, lots of cultural opportunities, convenient for London; Bath - Pretty Georgian architecture, the amazing Roman Baths, good day trip options with Mad Max and others, lots of parks, 2+ hours from London by train. There are lots of other similar destinations/cities.

All of these cities are 'large' but the historic/scenic centres are compact and don't 'feel' like big cities.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 10:45 AM

Oh. . . . and Welcome to Fodors
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 11:18 AM

OK, you asked for advice, so here goes.

Having an apartment or house is so they live local? Have privacy, save money? Shopping for food, etc.? On a first trip, that may or may not be fun. It takes time away from sightseeing. We have done it a few times (in France) where markets were a sightseeing event, and where we were just relaxing, having breakfast on a terrace and not much concerned about early seeing. Usually though, we enjoy having breakfast served to our room or sitting outside at a cafe for coffee and rolls.
Do they understand what they are getting and what they are missing?

We have become very slow travelers, and usually do stay a week or more in one place or city, but I am going to say flat out that three weeks in one small town in England, when there is so much to see in England and in Europe would be a great disappointment to me, much more so if it were my first trip. Even now, I would not do it and do not recommend it for such “young” people.
Two nights in Cambridge was fine. Three would have been Way too much. I could probably do a week in Bath, though four days with day trips was enough. A couple of days in Oxford was plenty. To miss out on three or four days in London would be a real crime, IMHO.

Just because someone has never been out of the country does not mean they would find it daunting. I bet they have traveled to new places within the US and managed just fine, not much difference except that many places in Europe have better transportation and tourist help. Your parents are many, many years younger than me. Many people, due to work, lack of money, family, etc. do not get to start traveling until in their 60’s. Now, truth is, even with the “same?” Language, I find public transportation and rural travel within England to be a bit more difficult than in Italy or Spain, so they may need more detailed information and planning for that.

If they have long dreamed of England, then go for it, but let them have a week in each of three different places, including one in London. Since they like outdoor events, they might enjoy Shakespeare at the Globe, but spring for seats, not standing with the ground audience. There are plays and other entertainments in the parks in Summer. Of course, there is regular theater and music in churches. Consider at least five days in London (day trip to just out of the city places like Hampton Court), five days each in two different places in England and another five days in either Scotland or Paris, departing from the last city, not returning to London. I am including the idea of Paris because it is so easy and quick to get to, fun, easy to navigate and would give them a taste of another country.

Yes, I do realize this is not specifically what you asked for, but it is the opinion of an “older” traveler.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Great. Thanks, I'll take a look at your suggestions.
Also, I should have added they will be traveling there around August or September.
They are from a small town so I think a not too big town would be best.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Crellston,
I will do some research on your suggestions. This is a big help. I was feeling very overwhelmed as every place I look at is so beautiful.
Appreciate the help.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by MrStanford
Great. Thanks, I'll take a look at your suggestions.
Also, I should have added they will be traveling there around August or September.
They are from a small town so I think a not too big town would be best.

OK put on a different hat . . . If a visitor from the UK was visiting the USA for the very first time -- would you recommend they stay three weeks in your Parent's small town? Unless it is a pretty special place, probably not. Asquithfamily's suggestion to stay in a London suburb would be a great idea IMO/IME. Someplace like Richmond, or Greenwich, or Putney, or Hammersmith, or Kew They'd be IN London but not really feel like it. Some of those even have a village-y feeling. They'd be close to the river, lots of parks, good restaurants and pubs, good local buses, markets, easy access into the city (by bus/tube/train/boat depending on where exactly they stay) and from London they could easily travel almost anywhere for day trips or overnights.

Kew has the amazing Kew Gardens; Richmond has the enormous Richmond Park (full of deer), Ham House, Strawberry Hill; Greenwich -- The park, the Prime meridian/Royal Observatory, Cutty Sark, National Maritime Museum and lots more.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 01:06 PM

Another vote for Richmond. Nice town with good shops, pubs, and restaurants, walks along the River Thames, Richmond Park, and easy access to London.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 05:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Heimdall
Another vote for Richmond. Nice town with good shops, pubs, and restaurants, walks along the River Thames, Richmond Park, and easy access to London.
One more vote for Richmond.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=janisj;17329522]OK put on a different hat . . . If a visitor from the UK was visiting the USA for the very first time -- would you recommend they stay three weeks in your Parent's small town?

Janisj, That is an absolutely great analogy.
Many Americans live in small towns. That does not mean they can’t navigate or enjoy cities with great sights. They may not want to live in a city, but they may surprise you and love them - for vacations and culture. I grew up in a tiny mid-western town and went to college in another town so small you could easily walk one end to the other in a few minutes. I had been to Chicago and St. Louis for a day or two to visit family, never on my own and no sightseeing. My first time in Europe was to move there - to Frankfurt, Germany, and a month later to visit Paris. There are maps and guide books. People are helpful everywhere. It was easy and that was long before the internet with information at your fingertips.

Of course, you know your parents, but you may be underestimating them. Have they never traveled anywhere in the US? Have they never been to any major city in the US? Ridden a train or bus? To a young person, 60 may not seem young, but if there are no health issues involved, it is actually very young now-a-days. My son-in-law is 60. LOL

This is a couple celebrating forty years of marriage. It means they are probably pretty tough and resourceful. It means they have endured good times and bad, even if they didn’t talk about them. Perhaps they do dream of the Cotswold villages, and should go, but don’t let them regret not seeing Big Ben, Westminster, etc., etc., This trip will cost a lot. I say don’t relegate them to lesser sights. Reward them with the most “wow” sights England has to offer, if England is their choice.

OK, off my soapbox - for now. . . .

Last edited by Sassafrass; Feb 3rd, 2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

JanisJ,
You make great points. We have done family trips around the U.S. in the same amount of time actually. It was great, but so rushed. The most we spent in one area was 3 days and the rest was around a day each. We never got to enjoy one area because we were rushing to the next. I don't want that this time. Knowing my parents, they want to see a lot for sure, but they also appreciate peace and quiet. Again, coming from a small town, they have come to respect trees and scenery more so than hordes of people, especially during a pandemic. I will research the areas you suggested. My plan was never for them to stay in one area for 3 weeks, that's why I wanted an area close enough to a big city without having to be in one the whole time. Appreciate the feedback.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 08:26 PM
mjs

I am in complete agreement with Sassafras.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 09:02 PM

To give you some ideas of the areas - here are google images of a few of those London suburbs:

Richmond https://www.google.com/search?q=rich...&bih=618&dpr=1

Greenwich: https://www.google.com/search?q=gree...w=1295&bih=618

Kew (many of the photos are of Kew Gardens but a few are of the village itself): https://www.google.com/search?q=kew+...w=1295&bih=618
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 09:58 PM

I was brought up in Putney, so I'm biased, but I second janisj's suggestion of there or Richmond. Both have the river and easy access to surrounding extensive green spaces, along with excellent public transport (by faster suburban trains to Waterloo as well as the tube) for access to central London. Both are on the line to Windsor. Richmond has professional live theatre, Putney has the Half Moon pub for live music and comedy.
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 03:17 AM

My suggestionwould be Winchester. It's a proper city with all the facilities and a cathedral to visit as well as other local sights. It also has good links by train to places like London, Portsmouth, Oxford, Salisbury, Bath, etc so plenty of scope for days out. There are even more places to visit if they have a car.
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 04:01 AM

Years ago we performed a community theatre exchange with a group in St. Albans, spending two weeks there rehearsing and performing. It's a great town with cute shops, nice main street, beautiful cathedral and a spectacular park. It's also very arty with various groups, galleries, performances, and concerts. And the best part, you can hop on a train and be in central London in something like half an hour!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -