April or May in Tuscany and Umbria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2022, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to Tuscany and Umbria for next spring 2023 and wondering if there's much difference in the weather in that area for April or May. Will flowers be blooming in April? Any other thoughts about one month over the other. I would imagine by June that it's getting hot and more crowded?

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 01:10 PM

Welcome Clousie. In the most general terms, April has a tad more rain than May and is a tad cooler. My husband and I usually traveled in March and the weather ran the gamut.

Here's my Perugia trip report:

Perugia and Rome by train and bus

If you specify your interests, others will be glad to share.

Old Jan 27th, 2022, 02:51 PM

We have been to Umbria three times in May. The same two weeks, in 2015, 2016 and 2019. The first time is was warm/hot and dry. The second year was cooler and wetter. The third year was cold and rainy. Rome set a record cold temperature during this same period. I only share this because it is impossible to predict what the weather might be in the spring. The flowers will be in bloom in May, regardless.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 05:52 PM

My wife and I spent a week in Tuscany during the second week of May in 2012. The weather was perfect - - 70s and blue skies most of the week with some white puffies. Great for pics!

We stayed in San Gimignano with a rented car out of Rome, and explored outward each day. One day in Siena, one driving in the Val D'Orcia (Montepulciano, Pienza, La Foce gardens), one driving to the Chianti region (Greve, Radda) after a sunrise hot air balloon ride, and a day at Montalcino along with a nearby winery. Another day we spent at an estate outside San Gimignano at a cooking class. Fun trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 12:42 AM

Italy goes from sealevel to thousands of metres above. There is almost always something in bloom somewhere. At the moment my rosemary is in bloom. I've got tulips in bud.

I'd pick May just because April will be busy. The month has Easter. A major holiday on the 25th and it ends with the May 1st holiday. May OTOH will be much quieter. Maybe even cheaper for lodging.

June will be less crowded than April.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 01:06 PM

We were there in May and it was wonderful. Trip included Venice, Cinque Terre, Tuscany renting a car out of Siena. It was a perfect time/fabulous trip.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 07:36 PM

We spent the month of September last year in Umbria. Here is our trip report: Ultimate Umbria in 4 Weeks

There are two things that would bring us back pre-summer, but I think both are in June:Fiorita, the spectacular flowering of the fields (lentils, poppies etc). below Castelluccio, late May to early July.

Infiorata of Spello, June, where the streets of the old town are carpeted with zillions of flower petals.

Google each. You might want to go in June.
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. I realize weather is very unpredictable, but just wanted an idea if April is too cold or June is too hot. One of us likes it colder, the other warmer, so maybe May is the time to consider. We do have options for all 3 months. I had previously been through this area in August...never again.

Several of you mentioned flowers, so I googled it a bit, especially around Castelluccio, as Whitehall mentioned. Beautiful! Is it likely to see flowering fields throughout Umbria?

I would love to do this on my own, but my friend prefers going with an OAT tour that would roughly include the following places. Carrara>Lucca>Florence>Chianti Valley>Siena>Montepulciano>Perugia>Trevi>Spoleto>R ome

Any further comments appreciated.. Although lodging is set, we do have ample time on our own to see sites and have meals.

Old Feb 5th, 2022, 12:29 PM

We have been to 2/3s of those locations and it sounds like a great trip. We have traveled with OAT and enjoyed their trip. With COVID issues, it may be good to be with a group and the protection it provides.
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 01:50 PM

While it may be warm or cool, every single time I have been to Italy in April, there have been more rainy days than we liked.
We had absolute downpours in Rome and, on different trips, Lucca (had to cancel the CT), with chilly rain (and some flooding) in Venice, and a storm while crossing to Capri. We needed jackets nearly all the time each trip. If I had no choice, then I would still go in April, but would always prefer May.
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 02:04 PM

Just noticed your post about the tour.
First, if any of the tour is using a big bus, I would not do it. I have taken a couple of bus tours in Italy and there is no comparison with how much more fun it is to do it on your own. Even with time on your own to explore, you are still on a group schedule, staying in a hotel for groups, etc.
However, TBS, it were in my budget, I might consider a Rick Steves’ tour if it was one of his small groups, just because he seems to use more interesting hotels and small, local restaurants where there is more interaction with local people.
That whole area of Italy, with perhaps one small exception, is so easy to do on your own, there is absolutely no need to have someone else do any of the planning/arranging for you.
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Clousie
Thanks for all of your replies. I realize weather is very unpredictable, but just wanted an idea if April is too cold or June is too hot..
Define too cold or too hot?

April here in Rome is often beach weather. But then in warm years so is March. Personally I wouldn't call June hot. It's nice and consistent. Sunny and warm for 30 days.

But then I remember a few years back some one claiming 25C was outrageously hot and people must melt. I didn't have the heart to tell them some of my neighbors are likely wearing fall jackets at 25C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -