Search

Utah - May

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah - May

I am looking to spend a week in Utah in June but changing to May because of the temperatures. Reading it could be in mid 90s in June. Will be traveling with husband and 2 sons (25+). Would like to do hiking (not extreme). Arches is on bucket list along with Goblin. Would also like to visit Canyonlands. Would like to limit the number of different hotels. Suggestions on where to stay and what to do. Pretty vague but trying to get ideas. Planning my own birthday trip!
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 03:55 AM

I would stay in Moab for this trip. There are no hotels in any of these parks and there are lots in Moab, unless you plan to camp in the park. Several years ago we stayed at a B&B called Cali Cochita which was a very short walk from town and had awesome breakfast. I do not know if they survived covid but there are hotels and motels all over the place and as close to the parks as you are likely to find.
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 07:32 AM

Moab is the logical place to visit those two national parks.

https://flic.kr/p/vngDDR
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 10:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldemalloy
I would stay in Moab for this trip. There are no hotels in any of these parks and there are lots in Moab, unless you plan to camp in the park. Several years ago we stayed at a B&B called Cali Cochita which was a very short walk from town and had awesome breakfast. I do not know if they survived covid but there are hotels and motels all over the place and as close to the parks as you are likely to find.
Many (most?) of the hotels and other lodging in Moab are quite expensive IMO. A few years ago, my DW and I took the California Zephyr to SLC and rented a car to see Arches and several other places in southern Utah.
It was a bit of a drive every day, but we stayed 7 nights at the Robbers Roost motel in Green River. We did one long day trip to the west and saw Capitol Reef NP and stopped for about 2 hours at Goblin Valley SP to see the hoodoos. I even used my GPS to go find a geocache among the hoodoos.
About 25 miles north of Moab I found an Earthcache on Copper Ridge that had dinosaur tracks in stone.
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 11:13 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Moab definitely makes more sense for Arches and Canyonlands. Note that it's a 1:40 drive from Moab to Goblin Valley State Park. Also note that Arches now requires timed reservations. You'll need to book post haste.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/13/10637...rvations-covid

We were in Moab a few days ago. Just checked rates for the hotel we stayed in (Hyatt Place) for mid-May and about fell over. Member rates start at $284 and it goes up from there. Don't suppose you have any hotel points tucked away somewhere?

Can't imagine staying in Green River though, which is almost an hour's drive away. Very few services in Green River. Not much on offer food-wise. Just looked at rates for random rates in mid-May at the Robbers Roost, suggested by tomfuller. They're about 1/4 of the price as the Hyatt Place. Also did a Hotels.com search for mid-May just out of curiosity; cheapest is $161 a night for the Days Inn.

Weather-wise, yes May will be slightly cooler (average of 83 vs average of 95) than June, but still too hot for the likes of me as a hiker.
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 06:34 PM

If you click on my user name you will see trip reports for Moab, Arches, and Canyonlands. With info on dining and lodging. Goblin Valley is closest to Capitol Reef NP-there are trip reports on that park as well. Also, do a search of the Utah board--there are so many inquiries just like yours where folks have provided great info and lots of other trip reports as well.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 08:31 AM

For a one week trip to Moab I would check out condo/house rentals on VRBO or AirBnB. Checking VRBO there were many listed under $250 a night for a 7 day stay. Years ago we did a group trip to Moab and rented a 4 bedroom house. Had a great time and one day rented a jeep and drove the Shaeffer Trail. You Tube it for an adventurous ride.
Enjoy your visit.