Trains from Paris to Avignon, Provence to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the scenery on the train from Paris to Avignon and Provence to Paris? Picturesque?
We're trying to avoid renting a car as our time is limited.

Thanks for your input!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 12:38 PM

Quite scenic - compared to other routes we've taken (many). Especially when crossing the Rhone near Avignon. Where is Provence to Paris???

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 10:48 PM
mjs

I am not sure I understand the intent of your question. Are you talking about driving from
Paris to Avignon vs driving? The drive is not much different from driving on a US freeway except the speed limits change a lot. Train is much faster, can’t say the scenery is that remarkable but it is pleasant.
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 04:11 AM

Especially if your time is limited, I would take the train. I'd take the train even if my time wasn't limited. The scenery is pleasant enough, not spectacular. The real difference is 7 +/- hours on a boring autoroute vs 3 +/- hours sitting back in your train seat watching scenery whizzing by with the ability to walk around, buy a beverage and just generally relax. I did the drive once with a couple nights stopover in Burgundy. No way I'd drive again if I can take the train.

Don't forget to buy your tickets 3 months out to get the best price. It helps me justify going in first class.
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 06:54 AM

I would agree that I would take the train to Avignon and save my driving time for going around the region itself which is much more scenic that what you will typically see from the highway on the way to and from Paris.

Also, be aware that there are 2 TGV stations in Avignon, one in the city center and one called Avignon TGV. Most people renting cars IME prefer to go to Avignon TGV and pick up their car there. It is a station with lots of car rental agencies and car choice, and outside of the city. We always pick up our car and usually head some other place than Avignon from there. The station itself is also really interesting from an architectural standpoint if you like modern architecture:

Inside of Avignon TGV station
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 09:01 PM

It’s pretty but more than that it’s easy. Are you going straight from CDG?