Osa Peninsula early stage planning

Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osa Peninsula early stage planning

I am tentatively thinking of going to Osa in March. (We are still watching the Covid numbers--and probably everything will be booked by the time we feel it is ok to travel).

I have been to Costa Rica twice and love it but now that my kids are in college I want to go to Osa (one of my sons has a medical condition and I didn't feel comfortable traveling so far from a hospital with him).

What part of Osa would be best to stay:
We are interested in just being outside and with nature. We like to hike but are not going to be taking 20-mile hikes. We would like comfort but not luxury. Love the beach but not lying on the beach. Not interested in a ritzy lodge with morning yoga and massages but would love to end the day, sitting on a porch with a glass of wine or a beer and watching birds. My husband likes to photograph them and I paint them.
Also, we have driven in Costa Rica so we could drive from the airport. Not sure we need a car in Osa? Wondering about the safety of those puddle jumper flights.

Thanks for any insight. I know I should buy a book and I will... but afraid to plan too much and get disappointed again.
And if anyone stayed at a lovely eco-lodge that is not a luxury place... would be interested too.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 01:31 PM

We love Bosque del Cabo. Tons of wildlife there and beautiful ocean views. We saw all four species of monkeys, scarlet macaws, toucans, coatis, and an anteater while we were there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Looks lovely but seems like only 3 nights in a row are available. I guess this is what I get for being Covid careful and not thinking ahead.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 09:44 AM

We've felt safe on our puddle jumper flights. Sansa is the airline that we've used. We did not have a car on the Osa. Most of the lodges are isolated, so people tend to eat their meals on site. Are you wanting to stay on the Osa for your entire trip? We only spent three or four nights there when we went.
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Drakes Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Where on Osa do people recommend? Drakes Bay or Puerto Jimenz. We really are interested in just watching animals, hiking, poking along the beach, birdwatching? Not that I have a ton of options open to us planning so late. We aren't looking for LUXURY... we are just looking for some comfort at the end of the day. Thank you
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 02:45 PM

We flew into Puerto Jimenez. The airport consisted of a gravel road right by the cemetery. Kids were riding their bikes on the road as we were landing. I wonder if they've changed that.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 02:46 PM

We haven't stayed there, but you could take a look at Iguana Lodge. It's another popular spot. Better beach access from what I hear.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 06:49 PM

We stayed at Bosque del Cabo and spent a few days in Puerto Jimenez also. So you can combine the two for a longer stay. In PJ we took a boat ride, saw dolphins, kayaked in the Mangroves, took a coffee tour, enjoyed being in a small town. Walking around town we saw caiman, tamandua, frogs, scarlet macaws. Some people took tours out of Bosque del Cabo but we stayed there, so much to see. You can hike with a guide and on your own, we did both.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

We stayed in Drakes Bay and had a wonderful time. We hiked in the park with a guide but took a 10 mile hike alone as well as the daily short hike to town over the suspension bridge. Also kayaked a little. Really wonderful place.