Reload this Page >

KLM Ticket cash refund struggle - changing the bank account

Old Jan 21st, 2022, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

a few years ago my boss bought me a plane ticket from KLM for a business trip that was later canceled. I recieved a travel voucher for it. I ended up paying him the cost of the ticket and keeping it for a personal vacation sometime later. Then, I booked the vacation, canceled again due to Covid, got another voucher. This month was my latest attempt and my flight was once again canceled. This time, KLM offers me a cash refund. The thing is, though, that the only available option is to send the money back to the credit card that it was paid from all those years ago. That would mean sending it to my ex-boss, which we didnt end up on the best terms with and havent talked in years. I really don't want to go through the struggle of getting the money out of him. When I via Messenger asked for a travel voucher instead, it was denied, when I asked for an option of sending the money to another account, it was also denied. Anyone that experienced something similar and could help?

Thank you.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 07:58 AM

I suspect no one has ever experience something similar because it is rather odd. this was your own fault, I don't understand why you kept your business refund as a personal travel voucher instead of just taking it as cash. If you wanted to buy a plane ticket, why not just use your own funds? I would not expect KLM to refund the money to a different card than used to buy it, they can't do that.

I am surprised they aren't willing to issue you another travel voucher, but could be they want to clear their books of this debt. But that would be your best bet, not trying to get them to send it to a different credit card which would have red flags of fraud all over it.

Why don't you use some method of communicating other than "Messenger", even though they suggest it. Who knows, it could be a bot or also just a customer service agent who is going by the book. Have you even tried another method? I know they have a place online to request some refund if you fill out a form, and of course you can try to call. They don't seem to list a general email address but the issue is you have created a problem that isn't really their doing.

I think you never should have used that money to buy a ticket when it came from someone else's account and may just have to eat this.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 08:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Not sure what Christina is throwing around 'It's your own fault" "you never should have . . ." etc. I really see no fault here - just a confusing/unfortunate mix up.

I do doubt that anyone here on Fodors would have experienced such a specific problem/set of circumstances. This is a case where I strongly suggest you register and ask your question on FlyerTalk. It is run by the same folks as Fodors and while it does have general forums like trip reports, etc, it mostly targets at Airlines/Air Travel. Every airline has a very busy forum of its own and I'd be someone there actually has experienced something similar to your problem. Plus representatives of many of the airlines actually participate in the discussions so you may get specific contact information and what to say when you contact KLM customer service again. If the discussion on Flyer Talk ends up telling you you are out of luck . . . you likely are
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 06:47 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I also don’t understand Christina’s thinking. Who could have predicted this situation?

I do recall a similar situation and doubt I will find the advise and outcome. It had something to do with the original credit card no longer being valid. If the card isn’t valid for any reason this situation exists so there has to be answer that helps. Perhaps go that route and maybe someone else will also remember and post a possible way to handle it. I mean what if the credit card person died? It happens.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 11:41 AM

KLM aren’t going to refund the money to anywhere else but to the original form of payment. They can’t refund it to an account that didn’t pay for it in the first place. There is always a way to refund to an expired credit card so that doesn’t help.

FWIW Messenger,twitter, FB etc are really good ways to communicate with KLM, I fly KL frequently and if I need help with something, I mostly send them a WhatsApp message and they are very responsive.