Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does Air France accept negative Rapid Antigen test?

Old Jan 18th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused by this statement describing acceptable tests on Air France. Does a Rapid Antigen test result meet the qualification if it is not an at-home test, but administered at a testing facility? We are making a 3 hour drive and then flying out of LAX to CDG on a Monday evening, so our testing options are limited.
Test: Passengers aged 12 years and older must hold a negative result of a biological examination of virological screening (RT-PCR, PCR, qRT-PCR, qPCR, RT-LAMP, LAMP, TMA, antigen or detection of RNA only) or a biological test enabling the detection of the N protein of SARS-COV-2 where the test is carried out less 48 hours prior to boarding.”
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 11:34 AM

My husband flew Air France earlier this month and they required an RT-PCR, don’t know if it has since changed.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 02:08 PM

AF does not determine which tests are necessary to enter France, France does and AF follow those rules. I'm having an antigen test taken 24hrs before departure for my trip to France later this week.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 02:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by balthy
AF does not determine which tests are necessary to enter France, France does and AF follow those rules. I'm having an antigen test taken 24hrs before departure for my trip to France later this week.
^^^
Ditto. It has nothing to do with what AirFrance will accept. AF merely looks at what France requires - if one meets the French government's criteria in effect on the day, they allow boarding.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 03:14 PM

If the "48 hours before departure" is similar to the rules for returning to the US - then it is really the 2 days before departure. When we were following this closely for our return from CDG to SFO in mid-Dec (test was needed 24 hrs before departure - per CDC), everyone (travel publication, authorities, etc) clarified/interpreted this to mean the day before - not 24 hours. In the OP's case, if they depart at 3PM on Wednesday, they can get the test anytime Monday or Tuesday . If the flight is cancelled for Wednesday - another test is needed if they got the test Monday.

Please let me know if my info is incorrect - and supply supportive source. We have 2 trips planned to Europe this year.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 03:29 PM

Hi Stu:

I've been combing through various threads since we also have a trip planned for May. This link states it was updated on 1/10/22 ... you have to scroll down a bit to find the section on entry/exit from/to US.

https://fr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

We will be attempting to stay within the 24 hours rather than assuming 1 day will be okay, just my personal comfort (or discomfort) level. It appears that either PCR or antigen tests work.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 04:26 PM

Here's more re. entering France from a red country including certificates to enter and exit metropolitan France:

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...-travel#from4a

Note: you'll need to scroll down and click on the correct country color link.

Last edited by Trophywife007; Jan 19th, 2022 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Trophywife007
Hi Stu:

I've been combing through various threads since we also have a trip planned for May. This link states it was updated on 1/10/22 ... you have to scroll down a bit to find the section on entry/exit from/to US.

We will be attempting to stay within the 24 hours rather than assuming 1 day will be okay, just my personal comfort (or discomfort) level. It appears that either PCR or antigen tests work.

Your link did not work for me.

The link to the France rules for admission into France was OK & states 48 hrs before departure. For our Paris trip, we departed on 12/1 and did not need any Covid test. Our friends we met departed on 12/3 and were running around in NYC trying to get a test because France introduced new requirements between our 2 departure dates. So I have no first hand experience with the 48 hrs or 2 days ahead.

The "problem" is the return to the US. The "rule" was 24hrs/1 day when we departed (changed from 3 days while we were there). Our AF flight was scheduled to depart France at 10:45am and we obtained the Covid test when the pharmacy opened at 9:00am. The person who checked our "paperwork" did not have a problem with our 26 hours in advance test. There is another AF flight that departs CDG at 3:50pm. If 24 hrs is the "rule" - I would be really worried about having to obtain a test later than 3:50PM (on a Sunday?).

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 05:20 PM

The Interior Ministry website says you can use a PCR test or an antigen test. You need proof, so you will have to show officially monitored results. Published as of Jan 6, 2022. This can change of course. Personally, I woudl get the PCR test if you can swing it.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 05:46 PM

Let's try again with that link:

I double checked it and it seems to work.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I’m very interested in your experience this week, so am hoping you will report back. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. The links you provided helped a lot. I will stay updated via the embassy websites. It seems Antigen tests are acceptable. I also learned the major train stations in Paris May be a good option for getting a COVID test on a Sunday. We are flying home on a Monday morning. I wish I realized the need for better timing when I made our reservations last summer!
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by eurohop
Thank you. I’m very interested in your experience this week, so am hoping you will report back. Enjoy your trip!
I entered France today from the U.K. with a negative antigen test, test taken yesterday with a self test kit with an official results certificate.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 09:44 AM

I entered France today from the U.K. with a negative antigen test, test taken yesterday with a self test kit with an official results certificate.
Excellent. Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Did you do a video call with a doctor to obtain the official results certificate?
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 10:57 AM

We had to test on Sunday January 1 to fly home January 2. We had several options in Paris both pharmacies and tents around the city.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Judy!
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by eurohop
Did you do a video call with a doctor to obtain the official results certificate?
No, just a photo of the test cassette was uploaded once the test was done & then the certificate is generated. You have to complete a profile with your personal details. You can get supervised self tests in the U.K. as well but I’ve never used them.

You also need your vaccination record, not sure what folks do from the US for that but I’m sure someone will tell you what to do, I upload mine to the TousAntiCovid app.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 04:39 PM

When we obtained our "exit" Covid test in France on Dec 14, we did not need a CDC vac card or a Passe Sanitaire.. We did a "trial run" a couple of days before departure and I left my Pass Sanitaire & CDC cards at our apt & was charged about 30 Euros or so for the test. My wife noticed a sign at the pharmacy stating that the antigen test is free if you have a Passe Sanitaire - so we had then with us for our "final" test - & it was indeed free.

Stu Dudley - from the USA

Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 07:21 AM

No, just a photo of the test cassette was uploaded once the test was done & then the certificate is generated. You have to complete a profile with your personal details. You can get supervised self tests in the U.K. as well but I’ve never used them.

You also need your vaccination record, not sure what folks do from the US for that but I’m sure someone will tell you what to do, I upload mine to the TousAntiCovid app.
Just to be clear, I’m only referring to the test to enter France, I have no idea about what is required to enter the US from France, except to say the self test unmonitored antigen I used would not be acceptable for the US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -