Search

Missouri

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missouri

Hi ~
Which city would you recommend visiting in Missouri, St. Louis or Kansas City? We have a wedding in June and have a couple of free days to explore a new city. Thank you!
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 06:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are baseball fans, check to see which team is playing a home game on your dates. I did enjoy the weird elevator ride to the top of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. At that time there was a floating McDonalds on the Mississippi River nearby.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St Louis has a lot of interesting things to see. I really don't know much about Kansas City, having only driven through it. That weird elevator ride is in a very small capsule. If you don't do well in very small spaces, you should avoid it, but otherwise there's a forever view from the top!. The Anheuser Busch brewery tour is fun. Forest Park is huge. You'll find the St Louis Zoo there and it's free. Also, the Art Museum has a nice collection. If you've watched Meet Me In St Louis, the final scene is the view in front of the Art Museum. Where Union Station was, there's now a good aquarium and one of those huge wheels like the London Eye and the Las Vegas High Roller. I haven't been on this one yet, but I've heard that it's a great view. The Missouri Botanical Garden is lovely. There's a lot do see and do and this barely scratches the surface.

If you had time, and a car, you could drive to old town St Charles. It's lovely, lots of old buildings, a few nice restaurants, some little shops and a very good ice cream shop!. There's also a big park right on the banks of the Missouri river.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 08:59 AM

I also vote for St. Louis as it has more to do. For entertainment go to Lacled’s Landing or Central West End or Delmar Loop. Be inspired in the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis. Ride the MetroLink light rail system. Explore “Little Italy” (the Hill) and eat Italian food. There is also the National Museum of Transportation with a trolley ride and miniature train ride. The National Blues Museum opened in 2016.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 09:48 AM

Hi joy2–

I’ve never been to Kansas City so can’t comment on it, but St. Louis has definitely grown on me after 2 visits.

Highlights:

*Cahokia across the Mississippi River in Illinois is fascinating, one of the largest known pre-European archaeological sites north of the Rio Grande; be sure to check schedules if this interests you as the Interpretation Center is not open every day.
* The views on top of the arch are great as mentioned (and I agree the capsule which they call a tram to reach the top is not for the claustrophobic), but the museum at the bottom of the arch and in the nearby Courthouse where the famous Dred Scott case took place were very well-done.
*I really like the architecture and vibe of the Soulard neighbourhood, with its red brick sidewalks. Peacemaker Lobster & Crab was an atmospheric lunch spot in Soulard.
* Trying local specialties like Ted Drewes’ frozen custard (something called a concrete) and toasted ravioli added to the fun.

Have a great time wherever you decide!

Daniel

Old Jan 18th, 2022, 11:26 AM

Another vote for St Louis- and I lived in KC area for many years. KC has Truman Library and Truman home to tour which is interesting. It’s actually in Independence.
I think St Louis has more to explore. An interesting place to visit is an old mine that is now filled with water. People dive there but they have boat trips and walking tours too. You will walk under a visable fault line. It’s out of the city a bit though in BonneTerre and is named Bonne Terre Mine. It is one of the worlds largest man made caverns.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for this great information. I’m looking forward to visiting St. Louis.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 03:30 PM

Kansas City has the national WW1 museum and a lookout tower.

Both cities have top notch art museums, the one in KC is perhaps more highly ranked.

Cahokia mounds is one of the best attractions in the US.