October in Italty

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
October in Italty

We are planning to spend the month of October in Italy. Our initial thought is to stay in Northern Italy but if you had a month what would you do? Any advice on where to base our stay? Our plan is to take day/2 day trip tours to different locations. Do we need a car or is it better to travel by train? We have traveled minimally in Italy--a day in Venice, train ride to Rome and 3 days in Rome on a previous trip. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 10:58 AM

We've done a month in Italy a couple of times. The last time was in October 2018. We like to alternate between big cities and countryside (or at least more rural locations) staying a week at a time in each. Renting a house or apartment in each place allows us to shop locally and cook regional recipes. Your destinations depend of course on your interests. We've stayed in Venice for a week, then an agriturismo in Emilia-Romana, onto Florence and finished in Siena. No need for a car in Venice or Florence, but a car was necessary for the other two stops.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't stay in one place for a month, but that's me. I know people who love settling into a place, but I would find driving over the same roads many, many times a bit boring even if the daily destinations change. I would be itching to see different things, different towns, different scenery beyond my self-imposed daily drive (or train) limit (which is 60-90 minutes one way).

It would help if you identify particular towns and things you really want to see and then zero in on a region or series of destinations. Check drive times (add 15-20% to any Google estimates), agree on how much driving you want to do on a somewhat daily basis, as well as search train timetables to understand what reasonable excursions by train are possible. (Small, charming towns don't usually have frequent train service if any service at all.) I would definitely want a car for all but extended stays in a city where there's so much to see, like Venice, Florence, Milan, Bologna, etc.

FWIW, we've taken most of our trips to Italy in October and been extremely lucky with weather, but obviously it's a gamble, esp. as you get closer to the end of the month. Some places like the lakes and the Dolomites are extremely quiet in the off season. Lots of hotels and restaurants are closed and transportation is limited, esp. in the second two weeks.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 05:38 AM

If you go to northern Italy in October, you will likely have some cool days. We spent the month of September last year in Umbria, and that was perfect. We also found mid-to late September in the northern lakes also was the best time there. Normally, we base in multiple places for a visit that long, but due to Covid fears (which turned out to be unnecessary), we stayed in one town in Umbria. We varied the destinations enough that we saw many places and did not regret the one base. Our trip report is here: Ultimate Umbria in 4 Weeks

To get warmer weather in October, and even into November, we normally head for the south, Amalfi coast, Puglia, Calabria, Sardinia, Sicily. Although we sometimes mix it up on some individual days (trains), we generally get to see and do more if we have a car.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 05:56 AM

Our Italy trip...

We spent two weeks in Italy (I'd kill for a month). We drove to Cinque Terre and stayed there (in Manarola) and hiked along the cliffs and explored the towns for three days (highly recommend) and then rented a villa in Umbria and did day trips for a week to nearby areas (Montefalco, Gubbio, Perugia) and ended the trip in Florence (flying to Rome to head home). We had the perfect mix of scenery, architecture, wine, good food, etc. If I had more time, I would have ventured to Venice (although not recommended for the time of year we were there - in August - it would be lovely in the fall). We traveled by car, which wasn't bad. It gave us the flexibility to go and come as we liked, explore small towns, etc. We are "stop and browse" people so a car works well for us. If you just want to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible, I'd look at small flights. Our next trip will involve the Amalfi Coast. Have a wonderful time!
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If had a month I'd have the second two weeks in Sicily or Puglia and take the first two weeks in Tuscany or Emilia-Romana. I'd probably stay in AirBnB for the last three weeks and in a hotel for the first week.