Dominican Republic - which resort?

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dominican Republic - which resort?

My husband and I (late 30s) have decided on DR Punta Cana for our next 4-5 day vacation. We did Costa Rica recently and while that was spectacular, that was enough adventure for us for a bit. We are looking for something EASY and luxurious but still active, hence the selection of Punta Cana. I love the accommodations and value I am seeing. I am also liking the easy direct flights from NYC, free antigen tests, etc. We both have stressful jobs and don't want additional hassle.

My price range is $400-550 a night, kind of my sweet spot for an all-inclusive. I have narrowed it down to Paradisus Melia resorts vs. Excellence. Kind of already decided on Paradisus Palma Real and within that, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real or The Grand Cana (formerly The Grand Reserve) at Paradisus Palma Real. (I LIKE expansive resorts. the bigger the better. more to explore on foot without having to get a taxi or a tour. I'm a big fan of places like Atlantis in The Bahamas)

I spent a lot of time researching but can't figure out which is better - The Reserve at Paradisus or The Grand Cana. Though I like big resorts, the intimate lush look is definitely preferred. I like the look of The Reserve on the website more than The Grand Cana look. However, The Grand Cana rooms look crisp and modern and new always has a great feel. (Sometimes that overrides everything. Grand Cana IS more expensive.) However, I read a lot of reviews and The Grand Cana's suck, a lot of complaints about service and time share selling. I'm not one of those people who requires spectacular service - I'd rather do stuff myself, I carry my own bags and make my own reservations - but if it's such bad service that it ruins my day or makes my day inefficient - that IS a problem. I don't mind bare bones, just want to know what I'm getting. Like things to be upfront.

Any advice? Also, if you think these are terrible resorts and I should consider another one, please let me know! I was almost going to go with Excellence (which gave me an overall solid feel on the website) until I read reviews about the seaweed. It's also 45 min away from airport.

If there's another place in the Caribbean that has all these qualities I am looking for, please let me know.