Search

8 days in USVI -- seeking advices

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2022, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 days in USVI -- seeking advices

Hi all,

We only have 9 day/ 8 nights to spend on USVI. Our two boys are in high school and middle school, so we are going on their Spring Break-- the week of Easter. We will fly into St. Croix, and fly out of St. Thomas. As of now, I have booked two nights in St. Croix, three nights in St. Thomas, and three nights in St. John. Last day travel from St. John to St. Thomas to catch the plane. Is this allocation ideal? I know we will need to rent a car on St. John. Will we need a car on St. Croix or can we just rely on taxi if we are only spending 2 nights? I imagine a car is also necessary on St. Thomas? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 01:06 PM

Good for you! Curious as to why there are three nights in St. Thomas in the middle of your trip, I would guess. We’ve never been to St. Croix but have been to the other two many times. We prefer St. John over St. Thomas but I imagine the leg out of St. Croix might take you to St. Thomas.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 05:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you staying in St Croix? We stayed for a week at the Buccaneer but only rented a car for a couple of days to go snorkeling at Cane Bay and to drive out to the East End of the island. We’re heading to St John soon to stay two weeks and will have a car the whole time.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

When I did my research a while back, there seems no quick way to go from St. Croix to St. John, or vice versa. So if I want to visit either of those two islands, and starts from St. Thomas, I will have to return to St. Thomas any way. I am still not sure what is the best way to island hopping at USVI. Round trip airfare to St. Thomas is cheaper, but fly into on island and out of another island might save me some traveling time between islands.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying. I am still debating where to stay, that is why I am asking the car question. One option is at Sugar Apple B&B at 27 Prince St. Christiansted. From the map and reviews, I gather it is at a very central location, near the boardwalk, and should be very convenient. So I might not need to have a car if only for two nights. Another lodging option is an airbnb up on the hill. We probably will need the car if staying there. Maybe I shouldn't want to do all three islands? This will be the first time for us to visit USVI. I personally prefer St. John over St. Thomas, but I think my young boy will appreciate St. Thomas more.
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 12:54 PM

We just returned from St Croix Saturday, stayed at Cottages by the Sea on the west end - it was lovely. We went to Christiansted twice during the week once for a Buck Island trip and once for dinner. We walked around town a bit and while there are some historic sights and a short boardwalk can't say it would be worth the time and effort to go there for basically just one full day. The island has many sights and nice beaches, but a car would be needed. We have been to St John several times and really enjoy it, St. Thomas only as a place to fly in/out and get the ferry over. I would pick St Croix or St John for five nights and St. Thomas for three.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveS
We just returned from St Croix Saturday, stayed at Cottages by the Sea on the west end - it was lovely. We went to Christiansted twice during the week once for a Buck Island trip and once for dinner. We walked around town a bit and while there are some historic sights and a short boardwalk can't say it would be worth the time and effort to go there for basically just one full day. The island has many sights and nice beaches, but a car would be needed. We have been to St John several times and really enjoy it, St. Thomas only as a place to fly in/out and get the ferry over. I would pick St Croix or St John for five nights and St. Thomas for three.
Thanks for the suggestion. I planned the trip a while back, thinking St. Thomas might be more fun for younger kids, with Ocean Park and all. But pandemic has delayed the trip for more than two years now. So I might need to reconsider the whole plan. Thank you again.
Old May 7th, 2022, 09:23 AM

How was it with kids?

My husband and I have been to St John twice, and loved it! We have booked another trip and are taking our 5 kids (all boys-20, 17, 14, 11, 10) at the end of May. What did you do with your kids while there? How did they like it?