Spanish immersion vacation in Mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2022, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have recommendations on where to take an inexpensive Spanish immersion course in Mexico as a vacation?
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 10:39 AM

Hi gellybelly,

I took immersion courses a few years ago in Querétaro at the Ole Institute and was quite happy. One can do as little as a week there; I was placed at the appropriate level after a placement test and learned a lot. Group and or private classes available. They offer home stays too (I didn’t do this, rented a room instead).

Querétaro is lovely, bustling colonial city from which I did a number of interesting side trips (San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, la Peña de Bernal, to name three). I found it a great base.

Lots of options though. If you’re open to neighbouring Guatemala, Antigua is a gorgeous place which I understand is quite popular for language immersion too,

Best wishes

Daniel
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 09:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Gelly belly, I'm going out on a limb here (but not too far?) I think you're taking advantage of the kindness & generosity of the Fodor's family here. I think you're trolling for content for a travel blog. Wouldn't be the first.
​​​​​​Prove us wrong.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Do you happen to have a link to the program you took it through?
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 07:29 AM

When you say inexpensive, what kind of budget are you talking about? And does that mean an inexpensive school, or the entire trip? Do you have any previous Spanish experience? When you say immersion, does that mean you want homestay, or will you find your own lodging? What time of year are you planning? Do you want a coastal area or inland?
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 02:36 PM

Hi gellybelly,

Here's the link. I did program A one year and program E another year. Just of note, I had long wanted to do a language immersion; I looked into Europe but Mexico turned out to make a lot of sense money-wise. My two years there served as a springboard for later trips to Latin America, where I had built up enough confidence to do things like cooking courses and archeological site excursions in Spanish.

At our school — Olé (ole.edu.mx)

Best wishes,

Daniel
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Hello -

First, I tried to send a response yesterday, but for some reason this platform only lets you send 2 responses within a 24 hour window? Why would it do that? How does that help people who are trying to plan a vacation / trip in a short timeframe? To be honest, it doesn't. And so I suppose I'm wasting one of my daily responses sending this to you. Thanks a lot.

Second, I'm sorry, but WHERE IN THE WORLD do you get the idea I'm "trolling for content" by asking for any ideas or help on finding a Spanish immersion course for my upcoming trip in April????? WTF???? By asking such a simple question, which is what I thought this place was for, I'm now having to PROVE myself to the "kindness & generosity of the Fodor's family"?? Sorry, but your response has shown anything BUT kindness and generosity. And now I see you sent another response below inundating me with personal questions about specifically what I'm looking for or my level of knowledge of Spanish? Why would I need to divulge such information to ANYONE just to ask for recommendations on a Spanish course??? What is wrong with you? Are you trying to catch me some type of lie or something? As if it's ANY of your business, I'm considering moving abroad to a Spanish speaking country and thought it would be a great idea to incorporate a course on my next vacation this spring. I've not had much luck on Facebook but you know, I'll just go back to Facebook. At least there they don't treat you poorly. Thanks a lot.

And thanks to Daniel here. He provided me some great info without asking for my social security number. That is what I was looking for. That is what I call generosity and though this site was about. Your responses were anything BUT. And you represent the, "kindness & generosity of the Fodor's family"??? WOW.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Awesome, thanks, Daniel! I was looking for something like this - something that gave options. It's also good to know you used them. I like the recommendation factor. I don't just want to find one online blindly. I'll check out both programs.

Funny, I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been wanting to finish my Spanish for YEARS. I was just in Spain and met a guy from the UK on the train from Valencia to Madrid and he said he was taking a Spanish immersion course in Valencia and living with a family there. It never dawned on me to do such a thing! So I have a trip coming up this spring I though maybe I could 'kill two birds with one stone', if you will.

Thanks, again!
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 08:12 AM

"Why would I need to divulge such information to ANYONE just to ask for recommendations on a Spanish course?"
"I've been wanting to finish my Spanish for YEARS."
So. You do have some experience with the language. Thanks for divulging.
"now I see you sent another response below inundating me with personal questions about specifically what I'm looking for"
Not unlike the response you received to your Bahamas post. To which you didn't get offended.
"I'm considering moving abroad to a Spanish speaking country and thought it would be a great idea to incorporate a course on my next vacation this spring"
Would that vacation be before or after your Jamaica & Bahama vacations? Where the local language is English.
I'm a cynic by nature, I guess.
Please post a trip report. Trip reports are essential to Fodor's.