How to island hop to/from Jamaica

Old Jan 16th, 2022, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to island hop to/from Jamaica

Hello - I'm planning a trip to Jamaica and beyond this spring. I'm looking to island hop but avoid air travel at all possible times. Does anyone have any good water transportation options to/from Jamaica to get to a different Caribbean island that won't cost an arm and a leg (i.e., not interested in hiring a private boat). Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 11:48 AM

Jamaica is much too far from any other Caribbean Islands to make island hopping by boat or ferry practicable. Just so you know, Island hopping around the Caribbean can be time consuming and it may not always be inexpensive. Also, if traveling this spring, you should also be aware that many of the islands currently have Covid-19 Travel Restrictions, testing requirements and/or quarantines which can severely limit or even prevent travel to certain destinations. You'll have to research the restrictions that are in place for the time period you are traveling.

I'm sure you probably know this already but, generally speaking, one of the easiest ways to visit a number of different islands in a typical 7 to 10 day vacation is to take a Caribbean Cruise. A cruise, depending on its length, will typically visit between 4 and 7 different islands and the price will include accommodations and all your meals. Also, even though you'd be visiting several different island nations doing so on a scheduled cruise ship will eliminate much of the Covid restrictions as you'd only need to comply with the ship's requirements.

If you don't want to take a cruise but still want to island hop without flying you should concentrate your search to island groupings. For instance, you'll find it fairly easy to island hop around the US Virgin Islands or the British Virgin Islands since they are linked by a series of ferries. In non-Covid times you could combine both the US and British Virgin Islands however, Covid restrictions make doing so much more restrictive and impractical unless you have several weeks to devote to testing and self-quarantining. Again, the Covid regs are subject to change so you should research this very carefully. Another island grouping you could do is St. Kitts & Nevis. These two islands are very close to one another and they are part of the same Federation so you'd only have to comply with one set of Covid rules.

St. Vincent & the Grenadines is another Federation of islands that has one set of Covid restrictions and has scheduled ferry service between some of the islands in the chain.

Likewise, the Turks & Caicos has a number of different islands you can visit without having to be re-tested or being quarantined upon arrival on a different island but you'll find that other than the main island of Providenciales and the capital of Grand Turk the other islands in the chain are quite remote.

In non-Covid times the grouping of St. Martin, St. Barth's and Anguilla make for good island hopping as you'd be visiting three very different islands with distinct vibes.

Good luck planning your trip.

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!