Scotland and Ireland June 2022

Old Jan 4th, 2022, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland and Ireland June 2022

Four of us will be flying into Edinburgh spending 6 days in Scotland. Then flying to Ireland to spend 5 or 6 days in Ireland. We know this isn't a long time but will give us a feel for two amazing countries.

We do not want to drive in either country. Is there a car service/guide service you would recommend in each country?

Given our time constraints what would you consider must do's. I have always been impressed by the suggestions I have received from fodorites and thank you in advance..
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 09:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd really think about one doing Scotland OR Ireland. Both are such amazing places and 12-ish days in one country would still only be a small taste and would probably be more satisfactory than trying to squeeze both into such a short trip. I like Ireland (a lot) but absolutely LOVE Scotland - but that is just me, it might be the reverse for you.

Whether you decide on one country or your original plan to hit both . . . Check out the Rabbies website. They do really good one-day to multi-day small group tours (16 passengers max, often fewer). They originally concentrated on Scotland, but now do excellent tours in Ireland (as well as England and on the Continent)

https://www.rabbies.com/en

Old Jan 5th, 2022, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. We will certainly consider just Scotland. Are you aware of the restrictions for Covid right now? Do you happen to remember what they were last summer? I understand they can change on a dime. Just reading other reports stating some concerns about traveling international through 2022.
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by poolqueen822
Thanks for your thoughts. We will certainly consider just Scotland. Are you aware of the restrictions for Covid right now? Do you happen to remember what they were last summer? I understand they can change on a dime. Just reading other reports stating some concerns about traveling international through 2022.

Covid rules change continuously so no telling what they will be when you travel . . . plus Scotland has different rules and restriction than England. In fact many Scots traveled south of the Border to celebrate Hogmanay (unheard of in normal times) because everything in Scotland was pretty much locked down at least where groups are concerned. I was in London in early December and US and England rules changed, becoming more stringent, a total of 3 times just before and during the week of my trip. Then just today it was announced the entire pre-arrival testing requirements are being eased from this Friday.

Last summer your trip wouldn't have been possible due to the UK borders essentially being closed.
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 01:23 AM

A word of warning - Scotland is a lot stricter about imposing restrictions than England.
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 05:49 PM

Thanks for this. Would love any more suggestions for tour guides in Scotland or Ireland.
Thanks..
Sheilat
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by sheilat
Thanks for this. Would love any more suggestions for tour guides in Scotland or Ireland.
Thanks..
Sheilat

A suggestion - It would be much better to start a new tread of your own rather than tacking on to a 7 month old thread about someone else's trip.