Retire to Tidewater region Virginia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2021, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! We currently live in NJ but long term will have to relocate to a more tax-friendly state. I would love to live within 20 minutes drive or so from the water- be it ocean, bay or river. We have been to Williamsburg a few times and I really liked the area around Yorktown, or over the bridge in Gloucester. On the other hand the Eastern shore is beautiful but seems a little more remote. Can anyone who lives in the area recommend a particular town? We would prefer a house because my husband loves to garden but we don’t want to be in a development. We are going to pick an area to stay a week or two to explore this summer. We enjoy history, restaurants, and kayaking. Probably need a good healthcare system nearby. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 01:43 AM

I have heard that SC is about the most friendly tax state in the union. Don't know first hand.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Yes I have heard that too Gretchen! Just gets a little too hot and humid there for us though I would miss the seasons!
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 06:17 AM

Besides lower taxes another thing to think about for retirement is easy access to a quality hospital and doctors. I'm not sure if the Eastern Shore has those. Plus, I know hurricanes are rare there but as sea levels rise will they affect the Eastern Shore?
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 06:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lauralef2
Yes I have heard that too Gretchen! Just gets a little too hot and humid there for us though I would miss the seasons!
Have you looked at your neighbor state of Delaware? President Biden is spending NYE at home in Wilmington. I went deep sea fishing from Lewes a couple times. Try riding the ferry from Cape May NJ.
If you go to Virginia or either of the Carolinas, you can go to the western part to visit the mountains for a cooler place in the summer if the coastal area is too hot.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 12:11 PM

What do you mean by the Eastern Shore? If you mean that somewhat rural area separated from mainland VA (ie where Chincoteague is), that is a really inconvenient area to get anywhere. SO you have to be happy staying at home. You have to cross bridges to get anywhere (VA or over to Annapolis MD), and that's not for the faint of heart. And if windy, you can't sometimes (such as the Bay Bridge). Of course MD has an area called that also but that wouldn't make sense for tax reasons given it's one of the highest rates of income tax in the US. There is a hospital in Easton and Cambridge MD, though. And Salisbury, I think it's the best that way. They are ok from what I know, nothing notable. The one in Salisbury would be maybe an hour from the middle of those two VA counties. Not what I'd want if I had to go to the ER.

I live in DC metro area and have been to MD eastern shore area to visit, but haven't lived there nor the VA peninsula part. I can't imagine living in such a remote area as I aged. You know you are not going to find tons of great restaurants in any rural area like that. Cambridge MD is kind of a wealthier resort town and you can find some decent restaurants there.

I think Williamsburg might be a good choice, though. Or look into Smithfield, it's supposed to be cute and good for retirees. And being on mainland, would have no medical care access issues, or going to the big city for some culture.
https://www.smithfieldva.gov/
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice! Yes I am leaning more towards Williamsburg / Yorktown area or Smithfield for all reasons mentioned above. Just hoping to escape crowded roads and high taxes and have a bit of a slower lifestyle not too far from friends and family. And yes with global warming I am concerned about buying in flood prone areas that were not considered flood prone 20 years ago!
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Virginia is not an especially tax friendly state though compared to NJ it is tax friendlier.

Summer heat & humidity in Virginia's Hampton Roads and Eastern Shore areas is considerable. Don't underestimate it if that is a feature you especially care about.

There is good health care in the area but I wouldn't call it gold plated like you might find in metro DC or NYC.

***And yes with global warming I am concerned about buying in flood prone areas that were not considered flood prone 20 years ago!***

Tidal flooding and hurricanes have always been an issue for the Williamsburg/Yorktown/Gloucester communities. Not as vulnerable as the Eastern Shore or Southside but still a feature of the landscape. Climate change is accelerating the intensity of extreme weather in the area. Like everywhere.

Pace of life will be slower. The area is overloaded with American history. The Chesapeake Bay and a variety of rivers will offer extensive access to kayaking and other water sports.

You might add the town of West Point to your list of places to explore. Good luck in your search.

Edited to add: Understanding that you are not interested in a developed home community, but be aware of zoning issues (or the lack of them) especially if you are looking in Gloucester.

Last edited by obxgirl; Jan 3rd, 2022 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 04:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Do come and visit. You mention the towns of Williamsburg and Yorktown but you’ll most likely be looking for a house in York County or James City County. If you like a more rural environment, Gloucester County is a possibility and Charles City County too. Most of the housing in JCC near Williamsburg will be in developments. You’ll have to go out a little further to find houses that aren’t. It’s still a seller’s market here and there’s not a lot of inventory. It seems to be loosening up a bit. Since you want to be near water, you can look at Poquoson but be very careful of flood zones.
I don’t know anything about Smithfield. It would be a fun day trip if you take the ferry over the James River and go for lunch. People have been talking about the Surry Seafood Co.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We have a summer house in Sandbridge area of Virginia Beach. It is south of the strip area about 30 minutes. It is residential and it is by the ocean or on the ocean. We are on the back bay where we can boat or kayak and walk two blocks to the oceanfront. It is quieter than Virginia Beach area but still part of it all. There are many who rent their homes for the summer. I would definitely check it out as a possibility. You have a small market on Sandbridge with any necessary staples, but real stores and groceries are about 10-15 minutes away. Pungo is more rural remote and south of Sandbridge a bit.
Traffic from Williamsburg to the Beach areas in the summer is pretty horrible.
There is always a breeze by the waterfront. Inland Virginia can be quite humid and sweaty in the summer.
What part of Jersey are you from? We are from Northern NJ, Wayne area.