Travel to South Africa now?

Old Dec 13th, 2021, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel to South Africa now?

Question - if you had a 10 day trip planned for South Africa at the end of the year - would you go now or postpone the trip to a later date? Thanks! Curious if anyone else is going in December or January and your thoughts - pros and cons.
Old Dec 14th, 2021, 05:21 AM

Would you be able to get back home? What would it mean if the area you visit gets red listed?
Old Dec 15th, 2021, 02:35 AM

Omicron is now everywhere and SEEMS to be cause less serious illness than delta et al, so that is becoming less of a concern as far as quarantine, border closures etc. The UK gov has descended their red list and hotel quarantine conditions on return to the UK. If you country has done the same then that is one less thing to worry about.

I have no plans to return to SA anytime soon but we are scheduled to go to the US next month - similar issues face just about all travellers anywhere. We are planning and fully expect, to go ahead with that trip.

Things I would be considering include:
  1. Do you have adequate travel insurance or can you afford to meet the additional costs should you get stranded if testing positive etc.?
  2. What would happen if you were stranded re employment etc.
  3. Should you become sick with covid whilst away, are you comfortable with the levels and availability of medical care in SA?
  4. Do you postpone, do you foresee things being any different 6 months from now?
Points 1-3 are entirely within your control. Point 4 your guess is as good as mine or anyone else's !