Search

Travel from Brazil during temp travel ban

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel from Brazil during temp travel ban

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone attempted to travel to the US from Brazil during the temporary travel ban that lasted until mid November?

I'm Canadian, and travelled through the US on my way to Rio. On the way back I was refused boarding due to that short term ban that disallowed people travelling through the US who had been to Brazil.

I had received no previous communication from United airlines, and even spoke with them before my flight back and was given no indication that I would not be allowed to layover through the US on my way back to Canada.

Imagine my surprise when I was refused boarding just a few hours before my flight was supposed to leave. I was left stranded to fend for myself in the Rio airport with United refusing to transfer my flights.

It ended up costing several thousand dollars in alternate flights that skipped over the US, and I'm now embroiled in a significant struggle with United in trying to get some sort of compensation. I'm wondering if anyone else experienced this sort of madness, or if anyone is aware of any sort of recourse with United? At this point I'll even take travel credit; i'm just trying not to lose my shirt on it.

Cheers!
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 03:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Unfortunately -- it s the travelers responsibility to know all the rules for traveling to and through any country. It isn't the airlines responsibility. If you get anyhing at all from United it would likely just be a goodwill gesture of some sort. Don't hold your breath.
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome.

​​​​​It's an interesting thing that an airline will take your money to fly you, but will refuse you that same travel when it comes time, without responsibility.

When United changed our flight, prior to us leaving Canada we confirmed that travelling through the US was not the same as travelling to it.

It appears as though sometime while I was in Brazil that definition changed, and travelling through and to became the same thing.

It just seems strange that United would change our flight several times to flights that we could not board.

Anyway, I'm not expecting much either. I'm just wondering if others have had a similar experience during the dying days of covid madness.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 01:18 PM

Not really if you think about it. Each country (out of 195 in the world) has their own rules and regulations in regard to what is required to enter (passport, visa, invitation, etc.) and how long you can stay without overstaying, any shots (yellow fever required for some South American countries) how many months must remain on your passport if any, etc.
Then you throw in two more complicating factors into the mix, such as Covid and vaccine rules, and you really expect each airline to notify all their customers of the requirements? Get real, they are not your mother.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My cousin passed away in early October. Her daughter, SIL and granddaughter live in Brazil. The daughter and granddaughter came to the US with no problems as they have US passports. The SIL, a Brazilian citizen, had a difficult time getting here for the funeral. He had to prove hardship and prove the death of my cousin. Not easy and lucky he made it in time for the memorial.