Applying for a new license as a visitor

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Applying for a new license as a visitor

I'm moving to BC with a work visa. I don't have a licence in my home country. What are the factors in applying for a learners permit in BC? Is there a minimum wait time before I can apply? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by User543210
I'm moving to BC with a work visa. I don't have a licence in my home country. What are the factors in applying for a learners permit in BC? Is there a minimum wait time before I can apply? Thanks in advance for any help.
Gosh, it's been years since I've had to, but I don't think it's changed at all.

As far as I know there's no restrictions for your "L" (as they call it in BC) other than being a BC Resident (work visas count) and over the age of 16. Just make an appointment online for a test, show up, bring some ID, pay the $15 testing fee and if you pass the written test and eye exam and you can walk out of the building with your learner's permit within an hour. The written test is even available in a bunch of other languages, if there's something you're more comfortable with than English.

There's resources and practice tests on the ICBC website to help you study for the written exam beforehand.

You must have your L for atleast 1 year before you can apply for your Novice license ("N"), which lets you drive alone but with various restrictions, and you must have your N for another year before you can apply for your Full Class 5 license with no restrictions. So while it's not likely you will get it before your visa expires, depending on where you're from it may be possible to transfer your learner's status or Novice license back to your home country.

Last edited by SirhanTheStrong; Jan 14th, 2022 at 07:08 AM.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 07:28 AM

While there's no application period or minimum wait time per se, and you could theoretically go for your test the same day your plane lands, the ICBC will still require some proof of BC residency.

I'm not sure exactly what counts, but usually they want something like a lease agreement, pay stub, employment contract, hydro bill, or Canadian bank statement. They may ask for more than one of the above.

The requirements are likely the same for getting a BC Healthcare card, which should be your top priority anyways. Once you have your BC Healthcare card, you can easily use that as your proof of residency whenever asked.

So, no minimum wait time, but you likely won't be able to take the test until after you're atleast a little bit settled and established.

Last edited by SirhanTheStrong; Jan 14th, 2022 at 07:39 AM.