Things are getting very complicated

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Things are getting very complicated

After a successful month long trip to Switzerland in October, we were reassured that our upcoming month long trip to Germany, Austria and Italy would go forward as planned.

Not anymore.

The itinerary:

Arrive Munich - one night - the original plan was to go straight to Austria, but then Lufthansa cancelled both our incoming and outgoing flights (and still haven't notified us I might add - we only learned this when a fellow Fodorite, who happened to be on the same flight, sent me a private message!), so we re-booked; leaving the US a day earlier and returning a day later. We could then either re-jig our entire itinerary or add a night in Munich on either end, which is what we did.

Fulpmes, Austria - five nights

Mayrhofen, Austria - five nights

St Cristina, Italy - five nights

San Candido, Italy - five nights

Salzburg, Austria - five nights

Munich, Germany - three nights

And then along came the COVID surge in Austria and Germany.

And things have gotten a whole lot more complicated.

While the US was removed form Germany's High Risk Area list effective yesterday (Nov 14), Austria was added.

Getting into Germany from the US isn't a problem.

Getting into Austria - not a problem from Germany as Germany is on Austria's Safe Countries List. However, the US isn't on Austria's Safe Countries List, but entering Austria is possible with 1) proof of full vaccination (max of 270 days from last jab), or past infection or negative COVID test - no drama. Travelers with this documentation do not need to register for pre-travel clearance and do not need to self-isolate.

But entering Germany from high risk areas (in this case Austria) now requires 1) digital entry registration - no drama, 2) proof of vaccination or negative test - also no drama - and, if I'm understanding this correctly and I think I am, 3) travelers who have stayed in a high risk area in the last 10 days before entering Germany must quarantine for 10 days - BIG drama.

And what about Italy?

Before entering Italy from Austria we must 1) provide a passenger locator form - no drama, and 2) provide a negative COVID test (even if fully vaccinated) taken 72 hours before arrival - a PITA, but no drama

To get back home - US citizens who are fully vaccinated need 1) proof of vaccination - no drama and, 2) negative COVID test three days before their flight - also no drama.

And, effective today Austria has imposed a lockdown on unvaccinated people. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

That pounding noise you're hearing? The nails on this trip's coffin.

Last edited by Melnq8; Nov 15th, 2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mel.

Yes it's just tough. Infection rates are exploding here. One story I heard (3d hand) is that young people are having Covid parties with an infected friend so as to emerge as "recovered" and thus avoid the vaccination. It's absolutely nuts.

Have you thought about simply simplifying your trip rather than cancelling? Just go to one country instead of three, and deal with only one set of regulations? Of course, which one would be hard to choose.

Anyway... best of luck as you sort it out.

s
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:48 AM

I am going to Austria in a week and honestly how they have written things about entry is a bit baffling. I know I can get in with vaccination proof but I check every single day to make sure they did not change anything.

I agree with swandav2000 - keep things more simple might be the answer. If you are in Austria for 14 days before going to Italy you do not have to take a test. Unless something changed or changes.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi swandav -

Yes, we're wondering whether we should make some last minute changes. The obvious choice would be Germany, since we're flying in and out of Munich and since Austria is more problematic; returning to Germany once in Austria is the big problem. I've just been told by someone on TA that the quarantine isn't necessary if vaccinated, but that's not how I'm reading it here, although I've looked at it so many times now I'm confused.

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...9F.internet102

Do you have any suggestions on where we could go in Germany that isn't having the same problems?

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

rialtogirl -

Getting into Germany from the US and getting into Austria from Germany looks to be the easiest part. I'm sure you're aware that you need vax proof to get into restaurants and indoor venues, which is separate from just getting into the country, but easy enough for anyone vaccinated. For Austria, it's the 3G rule on entry, 2G rule during one's stay.

It's getting back to Germany from Austria that is causing the most grief. We'd hoped to spend Christmas in Salzburg.

This is giving me a head cramp.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Someone on TA just pointed this out, which is good news, but unsure news:

The quarantine period may be ended on the basis of a negative test carried out no earlier than five days after entry. For persons who have been vaccinated or recovered from an infection and arrive from a high-risk area, mandatory quarantine ends immediately after submitting proof of vaccination or proof of recovery.

However, if they change Austria from High Risk to Variant of Concern while we're there, all bets are off.

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 09:23 AM

Melnq8 - yeah I am aware and I am vaccinated and I do not have Germany in my plans but I agree totally about the head cramp. However - I think it will be one of those things where once you get there it will be great so do not hammer down that last nail yet.

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the optimism rialtogirl! We stressed before going to Switzerland, and then all was fine. Felt safer overall there than here in the US.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 10:25 AM

Hi again,

Well of course Covid restrictions and changes are present in every corner of the country. Garmisch in fact is a particular hot spot (while Munich is not... go figure). But I was idly thinking what I'd do with some weeks to kill in Germany, and I think I'd do something like -- Aachen (ok, so a city stay, but a great city), then the Black Forest/Alsace (walking vineyards instead of mountains & valleys), then maybe the Rhine.

Hope you do figure out something that will be a joy!

s
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks swandav.

We're now considering going to Switzerland from Munich, spending 10 nights there instead of Austria, then going to Italy, then to Salzburg, then to Munich.

If we go directly to the airport in Munich from Austria, I think we can prevent a few issues. Researching now.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not just drop Austria and add Switzerland?
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Why not just drop Austria and add Switzerland?
Well, we'd still like to spend Christmas in Salzburg.

And Switzerland is crazy expensive over Christmas.

And we just spent a full month in Switzerland in October.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 12:21 PM

You don't need to go into quarantine on return to Germany from Austria if you are fully vaccinated. Only unvaccinated have to do that.
https://www.devdiscourse.com/article...ea-from-sunday

Many parts of Germany are going G2 as well as Austria.

Don't forget you need FFP2 masks for both countries.

Numbers are rising throughout Europe, and even vaccinated people are affected.
Maybe you need to ask if it is really sensible to make a trip to Europe now.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 12:23 PM

January Germany

Wanted to travel to the Netherlands for Christmas (family there) but now the Netherlands has a pending lockdown. Germany Christmas markets was a second choice but upon reading the restrictions, potential closings of the markets decided on a early January Germany holiday (first 10 days of January) fly into Frankfurt from Boston and looking to spend 10 days along the Rhine/Mosel (Mainz, Rudesheim, Worms). I also noticed the airlines are no longer offering refunds/vouchers if the country you fly into goes into lockdown/quarintine, ect. Can anyone advise the best country with low covid rates for travel in early January. Thank you!
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2
You don't need to go into quarantine on return to Germany from Austria if you are fully vaccinated. Only unvaccinated have to do that.
https://www.devdiscourse.com/article...ea-from-sunday

Many parts of Germany are going G2 as well as Austria.

Don't forget you need FFP2 masks for both countries.

Numbers are rising throughout Europe, and even vaccinated people are affected.
Maybe you need to ask if it is really sensible to make a trip to Europe now.
Yeah. We're asking ourselves that very question.

We're aware of the FFP2 masks. Have some on order.

I found the exemptions for quarantine returning from Austria to Germany (for those vaccinated), but the worry is if it Austria moves from High Risk Area to Variant of Concern; then it gets really ugly.

I'm thinking this trip is doomed.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike1728
Wanted to travel to the Netherlands for Christmas (family there) but now the Netherlands has a pending lockdown. Germany Christmas markets was a second choice but upon reading the restrictions, potential closings of the markets decided on a early January Germany holiday (first 10 days of January) fly into Frankfurt from Boston and looking to spend 10 days along the Rhine/Mosel (Mainz, Rudesheim, Worms). I also noticed the airlines are no longer offering refunds/vouchers if the country you fly into goes into lockdown/quarintine, ect. Can anyone advise the best country with low covid rates for travel in early January. Thank you!
Mike - I was going to suggest Switzerland, but it'll be very expensive, especially during ski season. Masks are mandatory there on public transport and indoors and a COVID certificate is needed for restaurants and indoor venues. Compliance is excellent. In other words, we felt very safe there when we visited in October. BUT, with this uptick in cases in Austria and Germany, it's probably just a matter of time before it spreads to Switzerland.

And, I fail to see how early January is any better than Christmas in Germany - we're only talking about a couple of weeks, no?

I think we've just talked ourselves into cancelling.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 01:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Slovenia is cheap
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 05:28 PM

Good thing, Mel, that you just had a brilliant month in Switzerland. It does sound like you may need to think carefully about your upcoming trip.

I'm not familiar with case loads in Germany and Austria. Is the problem the number of hospitalisations or the number of infections? And is this arising because of inadequate vaccination rates or that the vaccines are not working as well as we might have hoped? I'm hoping it's the former because that can be managed and we might be able to move beyond covid. And wondering what other countries may be able to learn from the European experience. Swandav, I'm shocked that people may be choosing infection over vaccination. That really would be nuts.

Last edited by dreamon; Nov 15th, 2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

dreamon - my understanding is that it's both. Austria and Germany have some of the lowest vaccination rates in Europe.

And I just heard from swandav on another thread that Munich has cancelled it's largest Christmas Market.

I woke up this morning thinking I was ready to go ahead with the trip, but now we're back to considering a last minute trip to Portugal instead. I need to get cracking.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 07:07 AM

The smaller and more unique Christmas markets in Munich are still hoping to operate with capacity and 2G restrictions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -