Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Consignment/resale shops near Lakenheath?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My oldest will be arriving on December 10 and has 10 days to set up his home for his wife and family who will be following him in early January. Their items from the US will not arrive until later. He asked if I could " ask my imaginary travel friends" if there are any good consignment shops or resale shops that he might be able to find a bed frame, a couch etc... to get his little home somewhat liveable before his wife gets there? He is not destitute- he has probably $5,000.00 to " make a home" but he wants to be thrifty and is looking for local recommendations. TIA (And yes, he will check the Airman's Attic!)
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 07:51 AM

I do not live in the area now but would suggest he looks for British Heart Foundation Furniture & Electrical stores. I think the nearest one to Lakenheath is in Thetford. Sue Ryder is another charity shop that deals with furniture at some locations but unfortunately the one in Mildenhall isn't one of them although they should be able to point him to the ones that do. I believe that St.Nicholas Hospice Care Shop Mildenhall has some pre-loved furniture for sale. Local Facebook pages are often a great source.
Good luck to him and his family. I hope they enjoy their time in this country. Although East Anglia can feel rather cold and unwelcoming in the winter it is lovely at other times of the year.St Nicholas Hospice Care
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:23 AM

No need for your son to look for a consignment/resale shop. RAF Lakenheath Housing Office provides temporary furniture loaner kits for personnel arriving PCS to RAFs Lakenheath and Mildenhall.

Temporary furniture loaner kits are available to members in PCS status for up to 90 days after arrival and 90 days prior to departure. Loaner kits consist of furniture items that enable you to move into your new housing while awaiting the delivery of household goods. Additional information will be provided by the Furnishings Management Section or Housing Management Office upon securing housing.”
https://www.housing.af.mil/Home/Unit...GS-MANAGEMENT/

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:33 AM

https://installations.militaryonesou...ter/loan-close

Before rushing to buy anything, he should go to the lending locker or lending closet. They will likely have everything from beds and crbs to pots and pans and dishes, iron, dish drain, etc.. He won’t have to rush and can take time to find things they will actually like. While major goods may not arrive quickly, his first shipment of immediately needed goods should arrive quickly since it will be shipped a couple of weeks before they leave the states.
his sponsor should be able to guide him through getting all the resources and getting set up.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:35 AM

Items available in the furniture loaner kits:
Furnishings Available at Maximum Authorization Loaner Kit:
- Double Bed (1 per sponsor)
- Single Bed (per dependent child)
- Chest Drawer (1 per bedroom)
- Small/Large Dining Table (1 Dining table)
- Dining Chair (1 per individual)
- 3 Seat Sofa (1 each)
- Easy Chair (2 each)
- Coffee Table (1 each)
- End Table (2 each)

Duration of Tour Items:
- Dryer Electric UK Model (1 each)
- Washer Electric UK Model (1 each)
- Refrigerator Electric UK Model (1 each)
- Cooker Electric (1 each)
- Wardrobes (1 each per person; when inventory permits 2 each may be authorized locally)
- Transformer”
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
They beat me to it. The loaners at Lakenheath should have everything he needs to at least set up basic home set up. They'll even provide things he may not realize they'd need like an electric kettle, wardrobes (many houses/flats won't have closets like he may be used to)
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much- he's super excited to be going- and I'm excited to be able to visit soon! There was a delay in his orders so he's been frustrated and not exactly "trusting the process." He's getting there a month late and will be working in the hospital in the pediatric department. This is his first time to Europe and he's hear so many wonderful things about the base and about the people in the area. Thank you all!
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 07:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Have him contact his sponsor (or if he doesn't have one yet, contact the base to get one assigned). I don't think sassafrass' link worked - thy this one

https://installations.militaryonesou...ls/sponsorship
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 12:07 AM

A good sponsor is the key to a smooth PCS move. Years ago I was in charge of the sponsorship program at RAF Mildenhall, which is only 5 miles from RAF Lakenheath. The two bases share a lot of their resources, with the main Commissary and BX at Lakenheath. The BX at RAF Mildenhall has furniture, housewares, and outdoor supplies for both bases.

Your son’s sponsor should have been appointed months ago, and should have already told him the things mentioned in this thread. If he hasn’t heard from his sponsor it’s important to follow up, because the sponsor can be very helpful when your son first arrives on the base.

RAF Lakenheath has official pages on Facebook and Twitter. There is also an online base newspaper at: https://www.lakenheath.af.mil/

Last edited by Heimdall; Nov 16th, 2021 at 12:12 AM.
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all- yes, my son has a sponsor and has heard from him- frankly I think they've had to concentrate on other things! This PCS has been a bit of a cluster! He was supposed to leave in November- somehow was delayed and his new departure date is December 10! He'll be working at the hospital in the pediatric department and completing his studies at night to be eligible to apply for the PA program.

Thanks Heimdall and janisj for your specific info. He will be just fine- I'm excited he has this opportunity!

Since this is a travel website- he's planning to head to Paris for Christmas to meet up with a cousin of mine who works at the embassy!