Laurel and Hardy Do Italy and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2021, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Laurel and Hardy duo is back at it again. Background: Laurel is tall and thin (will be referred to as 69) and Hardy is tall and large (or as my father used to say big boned) (referred to as 73). We have traveled to Paris and Thailand several years ago and 69 wanted to visit Paris again and 73 wanted to see David in Florence and the Sistine Chapel in Rome, so we combined the trip to do both.

73 will try to blog every day mainly to keep our family and friends appraised to what we are up to and so I can look back and see what we did on a daily basis. I enjoy writing about the absurdities that happen while traveling rather than detail on museums, etc. I find the unexpected as exciting as the expected.

I have been reading the daily reports about the Pass Sanitaire and we are waiting for our passes but not will not be surprised if they never show up. I have applied twice. I have already noted which days we might have to get tested to continue visiting various sites.

73 always has a terrible time when it comes to packing! How many tops and bottoms and shoes!!! This trip I am trying to limit the number of items I take. When I pack, you would think I was going to the third world country and nothing is available. I don't why I feel I have to take everything I might need when I probably haven't used that item here at home in well over a year or longer. It's like a security blanket for me. It would be easier and lighter if I took my very old and much loved teddy bear with me. (aka Theodore Halbert Wilson). I just checked the weather in Rome, it is supposed to be 70 degrees tomorrow. What is happening, I am packing for winter! 69 has told me she is taking only Tylenol because I will have anything else she needs. Don't tell her, but I have Tylenol too.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 07:01 AM

Oh, this should be good! Don't leave anything out, please.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 08:45 AM

Please sign me up for this trip. DH and I mostly traveled in March and got along with a rain coat with a zip-in liner. We always packed silk underwear and never needed them until the time we forgot to pack them.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 03:37 PM

This sounds like it is going to be fun!
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 09:45 PM

Can’t wait. Will be following along.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 07:17 AM

We leave for 10 days in Italy/3 Paris in 12 days - can't wait to follow this! (Also struggling with what to pack with the crazy weather).
Old Nov 10th, 2021, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

UPDATE ON PASS SANITAIRE: I have been contacted by the Sanitaire gods asking for me to resend my passport and CDC card again. My original submission was on October 8th. Since my original CDC said two shots and now it is three, my favorite penpal asked this am if I have had two or three shots. It is pretty obvious how many I have had but I am not complaining. At least I am closer to this illusive pass and can now contact my favorite best friend.
Old Nov 10th, 2021, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

The trip starts a week from today, but actually have been planning since March. I love making the lists, tours, sights, restaurants, etc. almost as much as the actual trip. At least 69 lets me plan and pretty much agrees with what I have done. Good thing since it could be a real rumble if we were both control freaks.

Every other day I receive an email from Air France telling me what I need to get on the flight. Today I was notified I needed a dPLF form to be filled out for traveling in Italy. I am going to need a briefcase to carry all these forms. It has been requested you carry this form with you or on your phone while in Italy.

You know old women like to keep things close to their chest. I have a neck passport holder for my neck, another lanyard for the CDC card, and another lanyard to take my mask off if I want to take a sip of my G&T. With so many cords, I hope I don't strangle myself before the trip even begins.
Old Nov 10th, 2021, 09:06 PM

This trip report is so enjoyable already and. you haven't even made your way to the plane yet! I can hardly wait to ready about your adventures.

Believe it or not, pharmacies in Europe do sell Tylenol but it is called Paracetamol there. 69 really doesn't need to pack anything at all.
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 12:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Oh, so looking forward to this trip!
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

I hate to admit this but I really screwed up. Last week I made an appointment at my local Walgreen's for a Covid test this Tuesday. I never heard back so while I was picking up a prescription yesterday I asked to confirm my appointment - I did not have an appointment. Total panic set in - checked every Walgreen's in the State of Maine. Absolutely no available appointments. Then went to CVS site and if I want to travel to New Hampshire I could get an appointment for early Tuesday morning. I was totally freaking out so took that appointment. I will have to travel over an hour but at least I am set. As I am always so careful to dot every I and cross every T, this could have been the beginning of a terribly wrong start to this trip. 69 said to me yesterday she will be happy when she is in her seat on the plane and I certainly feel the same way.
Still no Pass Sanitaire. Maybe Monday.

I have been to Paris several times but never at Christmas time. Really looking forward to the decorations and all the Christmas markets. I understand there is one at LaDefense with 300 stalls! Yippee, I love to shop.

This is our current itinerary: Boston to CDG then to Florence, Italy. Golf cart tour of Florence - Tour of Academia.- Tour of Uffizi. Three nights in Florence.

Train to Rome. Tour of Vatican - Tour of Coliseum. Three nights in Rome.

Fly to Paris - Opera Bastille to see Rigoletto - will go back to Orangerie - Louis Vuitton, 69 wants to go to Chanel again - dinner with group for tasting menu at O'Chateau - we missed Bon March last time - and their fabulous grocery store - and whatever else strikes our fancy. We hope to spend time sitting in cafes and people watch and enjoy being in Paris. We have booked two days with Michael Osman for a trip to the weekend flea market and also to see the passages. I have never seen them and being the holidays should be quite festive. We will be staying in the Marais - so am sure we will get one or maybe two of those mouth watering falafels. Two weeks in Paris.

My daughter loves the Skip laundry detergent and Genie Express tfor getting stains out, so will be sending a couple of boxes home. And of course, everyone in the family wants Macarons and chocolate paves. We have a wonderful chocolate shop in Portland, Maine that is owned by a woman from France. When my daughter was recently at the shop, they talked about the Paves and that the owner gets paves when she goes back to Paris. Four days and counting!

Oh, I just weighed my suitcase it is a very sad situation. Back to the drawing board. What is wrong with me!!!!

Old Nov 13th, 2021, 11:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Most people discover that they have packed twice as much as they need, especially when they take inventory at the end of the trip and see all of the clothes they never wore. Especially when you are going from place to place, you can wear the same things over and over again, especially with a little help from Génie Express or the Italian equivalent.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 03:15 AM

This is going to be a great trip report! I'll be following your every step and adventure!
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac - I appreciate your comments about packing. My suitcase and I are are going to have a heart to heart talk today. I am determined to pack less. Anyway I need room for Florence - leather bags, leather bound notebooks, leather gloves and, of course, jewelry.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 06:42 AM

Count me among those looking forward to this report! Have a wonderful trip!
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Hi benitakaren! Happy to see you're off to Paris again and looking forward to another great trip report. Bon voyage!
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 11:29 AM

We are planning for Paris in April and will be following your adventure.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 02:59 PM

We have our tickets for Paris next July. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Good news - received the illusive pass today - am thinking about having it tatooed to my body - have made six copies - putting them in every suitcase and bag. Bad news - 69 has not received hers so will do whatever is necessary in Paris for her. Getting really excited but will be happy tomorrow to get negative Covid test.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 11:40 AM

I just pack everything black. Black pleather leggings and pants and black turtlenecks.

I dress so I can go to Monoprix or George V for drinks and don't have to change. The pants are also very comfortable on the plane. I think I have eight pair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -