A few autumn days in West Virginia

Old Nov 6th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few autumn days in West Virginia

Spent a few days outdoors in WV at end of October/beginning November. Encountered a cold snap with rain and some snow, but also lovely trees just past peak color.

New River Gorge National Park is stretched out along the river, making it difficult to base in one place and quickly visit views and hiking trails. We chose the west side with the popular Long Point Trail (easy, great view of bridge), climb up Turkey Spur for view, and some walking around Grandview (yes, it was grand). Ranger advised against Castle Rock due to the rain, fallen leaves and sharp drop-offs, describing how a friend of hers was in tears half way along the route a few days ago. I’d like to go back for 2 days to walk more trails, see waterfalls, etc.

Nearby Beckley provides lots of services. I’d like to see Tamarack Marketplace for arts and crafts next visit.

Short walk on boardwalk at Beartown State Park was enjoyable. Short boardwalk at Cranberry Glades provided lots of color. It was getting late so we didn’t go to the stairs down to Falls of Hills Creek, probably strong flow from the rain. We wanted to get to Cass, our destination for the night before too dark because no wifi or cell service in the 60 mile blackout zone and there were LOTS of deer coming out to feed along the tree lines.

We spent a morning at Green Bank Observatory, walking (with our electronics turned off) along the road to look at the radio telescopes, then taking the $10 shuttle tour of the same route and visiting the science center. They hope to offer their more in depth and specialized tours again in the future.

Seneca Rocks are scenic, but we felt no obligation to climb and picnicked with the view instead.

Blackwater Falls were full and an interesting contrast to other waterfalls we recently visited in North Carolina. The tannins do make the water look brown. A couple of choices of easy view or climb down lots of steps to get close. Several hikes through the woods. Viewpoints nice, but not as dramatic as New River Gorge, of course. Lots of deer. Snowy morning nice touch. Limited services in nearby Davis. Lodge/restaurant currently undergoing renovation. We could enjoy one full day here.

We enjoyed our stays in a cabin at Blackwater Falls State Park and a modern unit at Cass State Park. Cass also offers old railroad company houses for rent.

Several visitors had their telescopes with them. These are dark skies areas conducive to star gazing at the new moon if clear skies. It would have been a chilly, but enjoying activity, but we were not equipped and did not coincide with park ranger programs.

I'm looking forward to another visit to WV in the future. Lots of trails in state parks and national forests (when not hunting season) left to explore.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 08:12 PM

Thanks for posting your report, Kay. We've visited many of the places you visited and agree that there is a lot to see and do in WV, especially in their well maintained state parks.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 02:49 AM

Sounds like a very nice trip. Thanks for the report.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I've stayed in Blackwater Falls State Park a couple times, in the lodge which I think is currently closed for renovation. But it's really nice. It had a restaurant also so when it reopens I think it's a better choice than Davis, which doesn't have much.