Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the French Passe Sanitiere still required?

Old Oct 30th, 2021, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Pass Sanitaire was scheduled to end in Nov. On Oct 28, the French government was going to vote to possibly extend it to July 2022.

My wife & I submitted a request for a pass in mid Sept. We have not received one. Neither have several of our friends. I've read every post about the pass and it seems to be very difficult to get a pass. We've spent hours trying to ask for a pass again using a different e-mail - but several screens have stated "this procedure has been closed" and there have been several "404 page not found". A friend who speaks better French than we do & lives part-time in Paris, researched this today and came to the conclusion that the pass may not be required anymore. Or at least the web site handling the issue of passes to non EU people seems to be closing shop.

We arrive Dec 2.

Kerouac, or anyone in France, or anyone who follows this closely - what is going on?? Was there a decision on Oct 28??

Here is an article 10 days old from Lonely Planet
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/article...ists-extension

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Oct 30th, 2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 10:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The government is extending the "possibility" of the pass sanitaire until 31 July. That doesn't mean that it will really last that long, but they wanted the legal framework to keep it in place if necessary since we have presidential and legislative elections coming up in April & May 2022 and even though it is not technically impossible to convene the legislature early next year, basically all of that will freeze around February. The Senate (controlled by the right) is trying to get an extension just until 28 February, but the National Assembly (controlled by the left and center) has the last word -- so it will be almost certainly 31 July.

Anyway, since our "5th wave" is beginning right now, with a bit of luck not too serious, it is not yet the time to toss aside the rules.
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 12:15 PM

I'm not sure why anyone is stressing about the Pass Sanitaire. If you have your CDC card, you should be able to get the PS when you get to France. As mentioned above, we applied to the govt. web site and they kept moving the "average time to get the Pass" by a day or two beyond the last date, Our flight time arrived so we got on the plane and trusted to luck. Arrived and got a Covid test at our first stop that took care of us for the first three days. We had a month so didn't want to get tested every three day, obviously. For our next test, we visited a tiny town near the gite we had rented in rural Brittany. The pharmacist there tested us; we were negative; he asked if we'd been vaccinated; we had and showed him our CDC cards so he offered to create our Pass Sanitaire. It was done within 5 minutes and we were set for the month . . . or for the year if need be.

Every pharmacy won't offer this because many pharmacists don't speak or read English or have a long line of customers waiting for other services. If the first pharmacist doesn't offer, ask the next one. It helps if you ask around for a pharmacist who speaks English since they can read the CDC card. It certainly isn't something to stress over especially if you are renting a gite and not planning to go into town very often. Honestly, I just didn't worry about it. We applied twice to the govt. site and had no luck so I figured it would work itself out when we arrived . . and it did.

Relax and enjoy your trip, We had a great time.
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 12:22 PM

I was out in Nice last night at a bar and was asked for my Pass Sanitaire - and we sat outside, so no sign it is being discontinued.

Last edited by jtpj777; Oct 30th, 2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Here is something I posted about the other current thread about the Passe:

Thanks Sal

My wife and another friend's friend (fluent in French, & lives part time in Paris) separately scoured the Pass Sanitiere web site and both independently determined that you can no longer submit a request for a Pass Sanitiere.

Here is the friend's friend's reply:

I just talked to my friend, Lynn, who is fluent. She got the passe for her trip in october. Now she’s trying to get one for her husband since they both want to go in Dec. She has spent hours also with much frustration and no progress. She keeps getting to a page that says “this procedure is now closed.” Great. What replaces it????

She’s going to search the French newspapers to see what she can learn, she’s email friends who live in Paris and ask them, and Monday she’s going to call the French embassy in Boston (where she lives).

My wife's analysis to our mutual friend, whom we've known since 1965 (husband was my collage roommate):

I kind of bounced around the site(s) this morning trying to do this. I hadn't been involved when Stu first did this, so I was kind of flying blind and couldn't benefit from having done this previously when it actually worked. In any case, as both your and Stu's frustrations have grown, I figured I'd 'calmly' sit down, read everything methodically (and double check a couple words just to be absolutely certain of translation), follow the links and 'take it from the top.'

Sadly my conclusion is that same as your friend Lynn. I carefully went to the site, carefully read the links, clicked as appropriate.....the final set of links (after all the info about things related to French people getting the passe, students, etc etc etc) were as follows (my translation):
-For foreign nationals (that's us).......
-How to make the request (for the passe sanitaire)
Displayed "This procedure has been closed; it is no longer possible to submit a file" (in English)

So, I think that is truly the end of the road for right now. I googled things about the passe and read French articles about Covid, etc, but not much was very current. But Lynn may have better sources in that regard and it would be great if she could enlighten all of us.

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Oct 30th, 2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 01:14 PM

The pharmacy, the pharmacy . . . you have to go there anyway for your Covid test. There are a couple (3, I think) pharmacies inside CDG and there is a possibility of getting the Pass Sanitaire there although I suspect you'd pay dearly. The little pharmacy in Brittany charged the two of us a total of 12 euros for our tests and the Pass Sanitaire. In Bayeux, we paid 50 euros for just the test. There is much to be said for small towns.

BTW, if you are going to Paris, get away from the tourist areas and find a small local pharmacy, preferably with a pharmacist who speaks English.
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 04:45 AM

Stu - I left you a detailed response on the other post ("health pass") about what I think the problem is and how to fix it but since I didn't do a "quick reply", it has to be reviewed & OK'd by the Moderator. For my two cents, I wouldn't rely on comments or advice about people's experience in August or September since the process has evolved significantly, and like you, I wouldn't want to be in France and find out that my CDC wasn't sufficient to allow me into key places I'm planning on visiting.
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 06:34 AM

Pharmacies no longer do the conversion to a pass sanitaire.

My only speculation about why they seem to have put an end to doing it online would be that they uncovered too many fraudulent requests. But in that case, they should have given information about how to have it done upon arrival (and verification) in France.
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I just received this from our Friend's friend - the one who is fluent in French, lives part time in Paris, and just returned from Paris: She received her Passe Sanitiere while in Paris using the internet procedure we're discussing here.

"I tried the pharmacies in our neighborhood before mine was approved and none would do it and said they weren’t allowed to anymore, but things change all the time"

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by StuDudley
I just received this from our Friend's friend - the one who is fluent in French, lives part time in Paris, and just returned from Paris: She received her Passe Sanitiere while in Paris using the internet procedure we're discussing here.

"I tried the pharmacies in our neighborhood before mine was approved and none would do it and said they weren’t allowed to anymore, but things change all the time"

Stu Dudley
Sounds like she used the website before it was closed down? I, too need a pass.We arrive in CDG Nov. 27th.
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

""Sounds like she used the website before it was closed down?""

Yes. She used the website weeks/months ago and finally received the PS while she was actually in Paris. Before she received it, she tried to get the PS from one of her many local pharmacies in the 16th where she has an apt. No luck.

We've spent hours on the website today. The only thing we've discovered is that we often need to turn off and then on the PC so that it "clears out" things and we can proceed again. Great systems design!!! My wife & I have a combined 55 years experience in IT - she with Visa & BofA. Reminds me of the quirky SNCF ticketing system of 5-10 years ago when one would have to wait 1 day between investigating schedules and actually purchasing a ticket. That's why Trainline & others emerged..

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 10:07 PM

We are in Paris as I write and have been for several weeks. We have had to show our pass everywhere we go to eat and for exhibits, museums........still being asked as of last night. Masks required indoors, for shopping......
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 11:04 PM

Found some info

My husband and I both had applications in for our Nov 25th trip to France. I read that 12am-4am is the best time to submit an application, and that you could submit multiple applications. When I logged in, I couldn't seem to submit a new application, so I figured I would be able to start again after deleting my current one. But ugh I was wrong! And now I am getting the same messages mentioned above. Luckily, I didn't cancel my husband's application, but I updated it with a note asking what is going on.

I searched a lot online for answers and I think I found something that is helpful! I'm not allowed to post URLs since I'm new here, but this is what I found:

- From November 16, 2021, the health pass can be extended only in departments with less than 80% of their population vaccinated and where a high incidence rate of the virus is observed. Except in the event of a sharp worsening of the epidemic, the pass will only be required in these departments for limited activities where wearing a mask is impossible (cafes, restaurants, etc.). In practice therefore, the pass would no longer be applicable in mid-November in certain overseas departments, all metropolitan departments having exceeded the full vaccination rate of 80%. The pass would however remain required at the national level for access to health and medical-social establishments, except for medical emergencies.

- On November 2, 2021, deputies and senators must meet in a joint committee to try to agree on a final version of the bill.

So, it sounds like the Pass Sanitaire will likely look different even if extended? Or maybe someone else interprets this information differently?

Old Nov 1st, 2021, 12:49 AM

On November 2nd, the National Assembly will cancel all of the amendments the Senate tried to make, and the rules will stay the same. In France, the National Assembly has the final word on legislation.
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 03:08 AM

Stue - please see my reply in the "French Health Pass" string because I think it provides a reason for the problems you've had and a solution!
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 05:45 AM

I'm going to Paris via Eurostar from London on November 17th - will have been in London for 3 days, but a Canadian citizen with a vaccine passport (QR code) issued by our government. Tried to apply for a pass using the link provided on the Eurostar website and it says that it is no longer open for applications...my understanding is that applications from abroad are only now being accepted for french nationals abroad? all very confusing. Since I am only there for 2 nights I think my best bet is to go straight to a pharmacy and have a lateral flow test which then gives me a 72 hour QR code? Does that sound right to everyone that is trying to navigate this right now?
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Brandis77

My problem is that I can't even obtain a Passe Sanitaire. Whether I will need to use it is a different issue. By starting this thread, I was hoping & praying that the requirement of having the Pass had been cancelled. Guess that was wishful thinking!!

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 09:18 AM

Are places no longer taking the CDC cards?
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 10:16 AM

CDC cards are stll accepted. Just a bit clumsier to use.
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

As I reported earlier on this thread or the other similar thread, we have a friend's friend running things down on this situation. We just received this from her after contacting the French Consulate in Boston..

Hi
georgia,

I called the consulate. You can only call between 2 and 4pm! I got through and was told they they have heard about the problem and are trying to figure out if it is a website problem….weren’t told anything. They told me to check their website again tomorrow…I’ll check demarches-simplifees too and if it still shows on line procedure no longer possible I should call them tomorrow afternoon. They agreed that it is the only way of getting a pass sanitaire in the US and pharmacies may or may not be able in France! What a mess. But we’ll keep trying!

Stu Dudley

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -