Peru trip

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru trip

We have a small group planning on traveling to Peru. Looking at the packages it doesn't appear that we can do everything that we want. We want to spend about a week in Lima and a week in Cusco. There will be between 2 and 6 of us. I speak very little spanish but will buy one of those pocket translators that does not need wifi. I am trying to keep the cost low to enable more people to go. We wish to:

Spend a day in Lima at the plaza and nearby attractions
Hike to laguna 69. I know a bus goes there and its about 8 hours
another day in Lima to visit the art museum of gold, art museum and park of love
maybe another day in Lima
Spend a day in Cusco at the plaza and nearby attractions
take the 2-3 day hike to machu picchu by the hydro electric dam
check out the saqsaywaman
Go to the rainbow mountains
maybe another day in Cusco

I plan on going in April or May
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Can I find local guides?
Someone told me making hotel reservations cost twice as much. Are reservations necessary?
Does anyone know the 2-3 route to hike to Machu Picchu?
I believe I can get a guide at Machu Picchu. Or should I get one for the 2-3 day hike?

Is this too ambitious? Should we forget about our ideal trip and settler for a package?
I don't mind doing the work to plan it.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 08:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The itinerary seems somewhat convoluted. I'd suggest enlisting the aid of a tour company that knows the country and logistics that might be able to streamline things, especially if you don't know Spanish and have such a short time. Nina customized a 3 week trip for us. We speak Spanish, but her guide and driver spoke some English.
https://ancientsummit.com/nina-fogel...-travel-guide/
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As my Irish grandfather used to say when being asked for directions “well I wouldn’t star from here.

If you are serious about this trip then buy a guide book or borrow from a library and you will very quickly gain an idea of the distances involved and how unrealistic your initial plan is.

There are plenty of options for two week trip depending upon what you want to see and do. A few random thoughts
  1. A “typical “ trip would entail maybe a 2 days in Lima at the beginning or end. 3 nights Cusco, 3 Inca Trail , 2 Ollantaytambo and the Sacred Valley. That leaves 4 days to play with for the remainder. Options, depending upon the interests of your group might include Lake Titicaca, The Amazon Basin, Arequipa & The Colca Canyon, Trujillo & Chiclayo in the north.
  2. Laguna 69 is near Huaraz. Yes it is “only” and 8 hours bus ride from Lima but it is quite a tough hike and it is at 4500m altitude. Not a great idea if not fully acclimatised which take 3 days min unless relying on drugs. April may is also not the best time as it is on teh cusp of the rainy season.
  3. I speak reasonable Spanish but it is not a necessity in most parts of Peru as English is widely spoken along the well trod gringo trail.
  4. "Someone told me making hotel reservations cost twice as much” - twice as much as what? I usually use booking.com. Easy to find places with you own requirements, cost parameters etc. Most you can do on a refundable basis.
  5. Buses and flights can also easily be booked online once you have nailed down a joined up itinerary .
  6. Guides are available at most of the archaeological sites for a fee. You don’t need guides to take you around the country, the exception being the Inca Trail (see #7 below)
  7. Permits for the Inca Trail need to be booked well in advance and a guide is compulsory. I would suggest booking a local operator rather than one in your own country. Trains to and from Machu Picchu also need to be booked well in advance on their website.
As I say, get a guide book and read it to determine what it is you want to see and do. With a bit of research and effort, it can easily be organised without the need for travel agents, tour operators which will simply add cost , probably in teh region of + 50%.

Here is a link to our blog of our time in Peru over the years which may provide some ideas https://accidentalnomads.com/category/peru/