First time to Hawaii - Which Island(s)?

Old Jul 30th, 2022, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can definitely enjoy Waikiki and walk down to Kaimanas or take the bus to Kakaako or even out to Hanauma. It's a matter of preference. For me, I think what the rest of Oahu has to offer is so much better than Waikiki I think it makes sense to get a car and head to the North Shore or Electric Beach, etc.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 10:05 AM

They could also stay at Kaimana Beach Hotel or the Lotus and avoid the sh*tstorm that is Waikiki.

Don't forget your reservations if you wanted to go to Hanaumu Bay plus it's now $25 per person. You also need reservations for Diamond Head.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 30th, 2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 05:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
what the rest of Oahu has to offer is so much better than Waikiki

Just a matter of personal opinion. I don't thing it is "better". Just depends your interests.

I love the classes, music & dance, performances, farmers markets, etc. all right in Waikiki daily.

Agree to getting out an see things, but not a reason to avoid Waikiki/Honolulu when there is so much, unique, to offer.

Those two hotels are on a fine more quiet beach, but not cheap, and no pools at either.

I didn't even get started on the list... Iolani Palace, Foster Botanical Garden, ShangriLa Estate, Honolulu Museum of Art, Plantation Village, Queen Emma's Summer Palace...

Old Jul 30th, 2022, 08:28 PM

It sounds as if the OP's preference is for scenery, snorkeling, and they never mentioned museums, while specifically expressing no interest in Pearl Harbor.
I would recommend leaving very early from Waikiki to get parking at the North Shore beaches and pullouts that don't have parking reservation systems. At least the reservation system at Hanauma Bay helps with that. Stop at the Halona blowhole when you head out east too. Lots of nice little beaches with viewpoints along that whole shoreline heading east from Waikiki and around to the North. Also check one of the shrimp trucks and Palaa Kai Bakery.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 08:56 AM

On Oahu... A fun loop with a rental car is... Byodo-In Temple Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden, Kailua and Lanikai beaches, Pali outlook. Have lunch at Buzz's Steakhouse in Kailua. Can be done in a half day from Waikiki.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 07:31 PM

I'm curious what OPs hiking experience is. There are a ton of good hiking trails very close to Waikiki (in the East Honolulu area) but if they aren't used to hiking or aren't in good shape, they may be a bit too much. Kauai also has a ton of good hikes, depending on how fit OP is.

I prefer Punchbowl over Diamondhead.

North Shore is fun, and Sharks Cove is a solid snorkel.

Would be curious on more guidance to know what to recommend.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 03:39 AM

Good comment from dougharper5625. One thing to be aware of is that on Oahu, some hikes are very exposed, no shade at all (such as Diamond Head and Kaena Point). Others can be muddy and slippery with exposed roots and shouldn't be done after a rain. Diamond Head also requires a reservation now.

By Punchbowl, did you mean the National Memorial Cemetery?

Have you ever rented a car in Hawaii, suze?

Old Aug 1st, 2022, 08:57 AM

No. I was with a friend who lives there, she drove us to the places I mentioned above in May of this year in her car.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 10:16 AM

Yes, the National Cemetery. I haven't been up Diamondhead since they put in the reservation system, but while it's kind of fun going through some of the old tunnels and steps, the pay-off is really the view from the top and I think the view from the top of Punchbowl is equally as good without the massive crowd. It also has the value of a neat war mosaic and being a pretty scene on its own.

I know you didn't ask me, but for car rental I'd look at Turo. I've had the best luck with them.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 03:57 PM

For car rental I'd look at One's. On Seaview in central Waikiki.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by suze
No. I was with a friend who lives there, she drove us to the places I mentioned above in May of this year in her car.
Have you figured out where you caught the 'Rona yet? (suze recently disclosed that she came back from Oahu with an unwelcome souvenir). Waikiki is extremely crowded, even outdoors, as mentioned above.

Fortunately when I went people still took things seriously, and you needed to show a vaccine card to fly in, and to eat inside restaurants.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 08:20 PM

What do you mean "figured out". I've known all along. By the timing I believe it was from airport(s) and the plane ride on my travel day. I did not get sick until after I got home.