First time to Hawaii - Which Island(s)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a couple turning 40 and leaving our 3 kids behind to celebrate our birthdays and 15 year anniversary in Hawaii. We are traveling from the Midwest and are reserving 2 days for travel there and back with about 7 days on the islands (9 days total). We could potentially add a day or two but are trying to balance placing too big of a burden on grandparents that have to deal w/ our animals kids . If 1 or 2 days makes the difference to get to two islands we could push for it.

We are debating on three options:
1. Maui only
2. Maui + Kauai (thinking 5 days maui and 2 days kauai)
3. Maui + Oahu (thinking 4 days maui and 3 days oahu)

We want to mix some super memorable adventures with relaxation. We used to travel internationally to places like China, Africa and South America and are looking to add that adventure back into our lives even if just for a week. Are we crazy to try and fit two islands in? Here are my initial thoughts on these 3 islands in terms of what stuck out in case this gives some perspective on what we would like:

Maui,
The road to hana looks beautiful, definitely want to do the volcano, and the snorekling at the Molokini crater are top attractions on our list. Possibly an ATV Tour? What are the other must do's on Maui? Any hidden gems/beaches that are incredible? I've spent a lot of time looking at stuff but it's all starting to blur together. Ho'oilo House looks like a great spot on Maui (except queen bed? really? so looking for other unique, ocean-view places like that on either Oahu or Kauai.

Kauai
the Napali coast looks incredible and we are considering a helicopter tour even though it scares the crap out of me. The fairly recent helicopter crash makes me a little weary. My wife can't handle rough water so not sure a coastal boat tour is an option for her if we did Kauai.

Oahu
We don't really care about visiting Pearl Harbor like most people so we are fine missing that. The North Shore sounds really cool. The Jurassic Park filming location sounds cool and maybe an ATV type tour would be fun.

Last edited by bluesphee; Oct 24th, 2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 09:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
From the three options you listed, I would pick #1. Mostly because I think your time is too short to try to fit in two islands. Or maybe do Kauai only? I love Oahu (nothing to do with Pearl Harbor) but doesn't really sound like you are all that interested. aloha, suze
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 09:39 AM

What month?
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 11:16 AM

Maui is my least favorite island but it is a good island for first time visitors.My favorite island is Kauai but time of year matters, as the boat tours of the Napali Coast go out year round from the southwest but only go out April-May through early fall (normally) from the north shore. Tours leaving from the north shore get to the coast in a much shorter time. So time of year matters.
I've done 7 boat tours and only two heli toours and IMO you get more bang for your buck on the boat tours.
If your wife is prone to seasickness, skip a tour on an inflatable and take Bonine the night before and day of.

On Maui I lied driving around upcountry and was totally bored by Road to Hana. The volcano is cool to drive up and see.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 11:30 AM

Also look into the problems with car rentals during peak travel seasons. Kauai, even off season is $100 a day. Maybe completely unavailable in peak season (same with the Kona area). If you are just going to stay at a resort then I might chose Kauai. In rainy season with no car, it would probably be at the south shore (Poipu).

I did not even look in to going to Maui. Even 25 years ago there were too many high rise condos on the dry side.
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever island you decide on, with 7 days, I would stay on one the whole time. Last time on Maui, we did an atv tour with Maui Off-Road Adventures that we enjoyed a lot. We also did a sunset cruise which was nice. On a previous visit to Maui, we took a helicopter tour through Blue Hawaiian. It was amazing and a once in a lifetime experience (I say once in a lifetime because, based on the record of crashes - particularly the one shortly after our visit that involved the same tour and pilot that we had and that killed everyone on board - I probably wouldn't do on another. But like I said, it was really a great experience).
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 05:08 AM

I have yet to go to Maui, but I've been to Oahu several times, and I've been to Kauai and the Big Island. By far my favorite is the big island, which sounds like it would be exactly what you're looking for based upon the type of trip you described. The big island was not very populated, easy to drive (although some of the distances can be very long). We hiked down the jungle and onto the crater in Kilauea Iki in volcanos national park, and it was stunning. Broken black lava fields with steam bubbling up from the ground as you explored the crater. You could also get really adventurous and drive up to the top of Mauna Kae, where you can find snow during some parts of the year. Our favorite was kayaking across the large bay to the Captain Cook monument. Beautiful and fairly remote, the tiny beach has some amazing coral reefs right from the shore.
For Oahu, there are lots of hikes just outside of downtown Honolulu. The Aiea loop trail was easily done in an afternoon and you can even see some scattered remnants of a WW2 B24 bomber. the trees in this hike are spectacular and you traverse to some nice vistas and also down into a small stream in the valley floor. . The coral reefs on Oahu weren't as nice as the big island, at least the ones accessed by the shore. We did the ATV tour in the "Jurassic Park Valley" as you mentioned, and it was a really fun afternoon.
For Kauai, we really enjoyed the laid back feel of the island. We spent most of our time on the Princeville side, and it is very lush and tropical. We really enjoyed driving in the countryside and crossing the many one lane bridges. It was no problem pulling off on the side of the road and finding a beach all to your self. We did visit tunnels beach to try and snorkel from the shore, but the currents were extremely strong. Glass beach on the other side of the island was fun to try and collect little bits of sea glass as the waves rolled in. We did take the helicopter ride over the Napali coast and it was spectacular. I don't think you can really get to the Napali outside of the helicopter, boat or really long hike.
Hope this helps!
https://www.thetravelinglocals.com/blog

Last edited by TheTravelingLocals; Oct 26th, 2021 at 05:39 AM.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 05:36 AM

Napoli is in Italy.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb
Napoli is in Italy.
LOL, I'm terrible speller, and autocorrect didn't help me much here.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 05:40 AM

It would be hard to reach from Kauai, even by helicopter!
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb
It would be hard to reach from Kauai, even by helicopter!
Ha! That it would be.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

We ended up extending our visit to 13 days and are doing both Oahu and Kauai. Will share back any tips or highlights that are worth passing along upon our return. Thanks all.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 09:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us about your decision. Still not clear on what month. My DW and I have been to Maui (first trip) and Oahu (last November). Our DD and SIL moved from Maryland to Oahu last year. We stayed with them for a week. We had a rental car that we picked up at HNL airport. I did drive up to the north shore twice from their place in Ewa Beach. There are a few things to see up on the north shore but few lodging options.
On our trip to Maui, we stayed in a small condo within walking distance of the beach. We did get up to Haleakala for sunrise the day that we left the island. The other natural wonder that we saw on Maui was the Io Needle.
Our DD and SIL recently took vacation from Oahu to Kauai and loved it. I don't think they rented a car.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 01:38 PM

extending our visit to 13 days and are doing both Oahu and Kauai.

Excellent! Thanks for the update. Let us know if you need more "advice" -lol!
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 04:59 PM

Since you chose Maui and Kauai, I would start Maui and end with Kauai. Maui is beautiful and nice, but it's touristy and more hectic than Kauai. Kauai will give you the 'revved down' feeling you likely want.
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 01:33 PM

They are doing Oahu & Kauai (not Maui)
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 03:07 PM

Ah, whoops, thanks for the correction.

In that case, they should definitely do Kauai second, and when in Oahu plan on leaving Waikiki every day. Stay there at night, but do day trips on other parts of the island.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 06:17 PM

Why do they need to leave Waikiki every day? There is so much to see and do in Honolulu as well as other parts of Oahu.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 07:26 PM

Waikiki is packed. There are so many beautiful beaches and hikes on Oahu that are worth seeing. Waikiki, meanwhile, is crowded and less scenic than, say, Lanikai. My dad loved Waikiki because it's great people watching, but assuming they 'want to see Hawaii' I would say stay in Waikiki but plan day trips every day.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 08:18 PM

I was in Waikiki for 10 days just in May this year (my 7th trip). I don't rent a car and travel solo. And find plenty to do. Not saying people shouldn't get out to see the rest of Oahu, only that personally I wouldn't want to get in the car every single day. I like to relax, and there's a lot you can see on foot right in and around Waikiki. The Bus makes it easy to get to things in downtown Honolulu as well.
aloha, suze

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -