Kenya/Tanzania itinerary help/suggestions

Old Oct 16th, 2021, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya/Tanzania itinerary help/suggestions

We went to South Africa private reserve and Botswana in the NP on a safari 5 years ago and loved it! We are now taking our 23 year daughter in Feb. for our anniversary. Currently trying to decide between 1 Night Nairobi2 Nights Amboseli National Park 2 Nights Lewa Wildlife Conservancy 3 Nights Maasai Mara OR 1 Night Arusha2 Nights Tarangire National Park2 Nights Ngorongoro Conservation Area2 Nights Serengeti National Park. Thoughts on which is better? I understand the wildebeast migration is happening in that month and lots of babies being born. We didn’t get to see cheetahs in South Africa so we are hoping we get more lucky in one of these areas! Also - we have a couple of days before and after the safari. We enjoyed visiting a local tribe (actually met with a medicine man/healer) in South Africa. Any one’s specially to visit for that?
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 10:33 AM

For February, I think Tanzania is better, although I'm not sure it's a great time of year to go to Tarangire. I'd possibly move one of those days to Serengeti, although I can't tell what you mean by Ngorongoro Conservation area--would both of those days be in the crater? I'd say one night at the crater may be enough.

I've had one trip to Tanzania in July and one in February. Our Feb itinerary was 5 nights in Serengeti at two locations (saw the migration and lots of babies being born), 2 nights Ngorongoro Highlands. We did a day trip to Manyara from there in addition to two crater game drives. We also went to Arusha National Park which was ok (we went for Colobus monkeys) but not to everyone's taste. We only went to Tarangire during our July trip, and it was great for elephants, but not sure that's true in Feb. If you post a more specific itinerary, I could comment more.

Anyway, we loved the green of February more than the dryness of July (although we saw the migration both times).
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Here is the itinerary…We also have a couple of extra nights at end so I am trying to figure out what to do? Fly to Masa Mara and do another a couple of drives there?With a warm welcome upon your arrival, you’ll be transferred to your delightful accommodations in Arusha, northern Tanzania’s safari capital. (D)

Elewana Arusha Coffee Lodge
1Arusha / Tarangire National Park

Depart on a scenic drive to Tarangire National Park, noted for its signature baobab trees and large elephant herds. Enjoy a game drive en route to Tarangire Safari Lodge, where you will stop for lunch. Continue to the five-star Tarangire Treetops, where spacious elevated rooms are built atop tree-attached platforms with magnificent views across the plains. Rest before an exciting night drive. (BLD)

Elewana Tarangire Treetops
2Tarangire National Park

Join your expert ranger for morning and afternoon game viewing activities in the Tarangire / Manyara corridor. Tarangire National Park, with its river providing the only permanent water supply during the dry season, supports a great diversity of wildlife — elephants, giraffe, buffalo, lesser kudu, zebra, lion, leopard and cheetah. (BLD)

Elewana Tarangire Treetops
3Tarangire / Ngorongoro Conservation Area

Set out early this morning for Lake Manyara. The seasonal flamingos lining its shore provide the perfect introduction to Tanzania’s birdlife. Large herds of elephant roam the park and your ranger will diligently seek out the park’s fabled tree-climbing lions and countless wildlife photo opportunities. Continue on to your lodge for the next two nights, perfectly situated to explore the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Ngorongoro Crater. (BLD)

Elewana The Manor At Ngorongoro
4Tanzania National Park

Descend some 2,000 feet to explore the crater floor of this extinct, collapsed volcano. You’ll be in awe of the wildlife concentrated here. Zoom in on the elephants wandering along well-worn tracks. Listen for the roaring lion guarding its large pride. Gazelle quietly graze, surrounded by zebra and wildebeest, and you might spot the endangered rhino feeding down by the lake. Enjoy a special picnic lunch before returning to your camp. (BLD)

Elewana The Manor At Ngorongoro
5Serengeti National Park

Take a short flight soaring over the great Serengeti — “endless plains” in the Maasai language. Arrive your luxury tented camp in the heart of the Serengeti just in time for an afternoon game drive. While the exact timing is difficult to predict, here is where more than two million wildebeest, half a million Thomson’s gazelle and a quarter-million zebra gather for annual migrations, attracting large predators such as lion, leopard, cheetah and hyena. (BLD)

Serengeti Migration Camp or Serengeti Pioneer Camp
6Serengeti National Park

During morning and afternoon game viewing activities, your ranger continues to lead you to the locations where you are able to observe the wildlife quietly and at your leisure. Watch the many species of game grazing in close proximity to your camp as the sun sets over the savanna. (BLD)

Serengeti Migration Camp
7Serengeti/ Arusha

It is time to savor your last morning in Tanzania. After a short flight to Arusha, you’ll enjoy lunch and a place to relax at a day room reserved for your use at the Arusha Coffee Lodge. Later tonight, you are transferred to the airport for your onward arrangements. (BL)
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 12:02 AM

In February the migratory herds are in the shortgrass plains of SE Serengeti. We were there in February one year, and drove through miles and miles of wildebeest and zebra, along with various species of antelope and gazelle, and the predators that follow the herds. If you want to see the migratory herds in February that’s the place to be.

We also stopped at Olduvai Gorge on the way to Ngorongoro Crater, and stayed overnight in a safari lodge on the crater rim. The crater was where I saw my first black rhino (I had seen white rhino in other parks on previous safaris). Ngorongoro Crater was busy with other safari vehicles, but packed with animal sightings.
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 03:34 AM

Here is the itinerary…We also have a couple of extra nights at end so I am trying to figure out what to do?
Where are you flying home from? If Nairobi, the small, but interesting Nairobi NP is only a short drive from the city. There is also the Karen Blixen Museum and other Nairobi attractions. Amboseli NP isn’t all that far from Arusha where you will be ending your Tanzania safari, but of course the border crossing is a bit of a hassle. You will have already seen enough of the Serengeti ecosystem in Tanzania.

https://www.expertafrica.com/tanzani...eest-migration
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

I was wondering if we should fly to Masai Mara after the Serengeti? Maybe be enough of drives for that many days. OR is there is something else unique we should do that is different? Maybe we should fly to Mt Kenya Safari Club and just relax for a couple of nights because it will be Valentines Day and the day after our 30th anniversary?
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 04:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I’ve done a very similar itinerary in February also. It’s fine in Tarangire that time of year. We were swarmed with elephants and the weather was fine. Also an excellent time to be in the Serengeti area. I did not love Lake Manyara (we saw next to nothing there and got eaten alive by mosquitos) but if you’re doing a safari by road, it’s a natural stopping over point from Tarangire to Ngorongoro.

For your extra time, I’d recommend adding days to the Serengeti. First, 2 nights isn’t enough in one of the best places in the world to safari. (You’ll spend half of your first day there just getting there, which leaves you with just 3 game drives to see this amazing area before you have to leave). I’d specifically suggest adding time in the Ndutu area specifically where you can off-road to see the herds and get up extra early to see live births (they happen right after sunrise, somehow choreographed by Mother Nature!). I would not bother to cross to the Mara. If you’re traveling in Feb 2022, who knows what the logistics around covid requirements will be and I’m all for avoiding hassle when I can. I’d just stick to Tanzania and extend your time in the Serengeti. The Mara and Serengeti are the same ecosystem, just named differently when you cross the border.