Washington DC for a day

Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 04:12 AM

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by isabel
We booked a reservation at the Holiday Inn College Park. It gets quite good reviews on booking.com and has free parking. I don't care that College Park is an unattractive town as we are literally just sleeping there the one night. Probably will even have dinner before we get there and will head out by 7:30 in the morning. But if anyone has any info about that hotel being unsafe or unclean I'd appreciate that info. We cancel the reservation till the day before.

Other than distance is there anything wrong with parking at Union Station? We want to see the capitol building and the supreme court building and a few of the museums along the mall. That looks to be about 2 miles (each way) from Union Station. Including Washington Monument it would be about 3 miles. That's walking distance for us. But I will look into the others mentioned as well. (Originally was looking at Ohio Drive but decided that was too far).

Thanks for the info on I-66 - There will be two of us so according to what I could find by googling it, we will be OK in HOV2 lanes anytime. I assume it is easy enough to avoid HOV3 lanes if we pay attention. Anything else I need to know? I just googled Union Station to Front Royal - this is about the time of day we will likely be driving it - and even with a considerable amount of "red" it still says only 1 1/2 hours. Sound right? I checked with Massachusetts Easy Pass and it says it can be used in Virginia so hopefully we are good with any tolls we hit.
We just drove on I-66 the past Sunday. Traffic was heavy, and there is big construction to add more lanes for the future. We went through first part of the I-66 before exiting to local state road to enter the Skyline drive at Thornton Gap Entrance.
I think weekdays on I-66 will be congested.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sf7307-- when say there were only 25 to 30 other people at the National gallery, were you talking a out a spcifi .exhibit or a section of the museum?
we will ne visit our son in MD and would like to get in to see the Dutch/flemish exhibit if it's really not crowded. I suppose we could always try and leave if we are not comfortable.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Perhaps the best thing about the Holiday Inn College Park is that it is a mere 10 minute ish drive from Taqueria Habanero. If you enjoy Mexican food this place is a deep dive into authentic Mexican cooking. Dine in or take out.

Originally Posted by Vttraveler
Sf7307-- when say there were only 25 to 30 other people at the National gallery, were you talking a out a spcifi .exhibit or a section of the museum?
we will ne visit our son in MD and would like to get in to see the Dutch/flemish exhibit if it's really not crowded. I suppose we could always try and leave if we are not comfortable.
Go on a weekday when the NGA first opens and you will be fine. Honestly, if you can only go on a weekend, be there when they open and you should still be fine.

Last edited by obxgirl; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf7307 - That's great to hear about the parking meters. Is there a time limit? And can you pay by credit card?

obxgirl - also great news about the Taqueria Habanero. We love Mexican Food. We just came back from a month long trip out west and were disappointed with some of the Mexican food we got. The best places were those that had been recommended by someone so we will definitely try to get there in time for dinner and try that place. Thanks