Search

Best time to book a hotel for mid February

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best time to book a hotel for mid February in New York

Hi everyone,
First time posting and first time visiting New York.
We are booked to arrive mid February for 4 days.
We have yet to book a hotel, i'm told Feb is low season.
We are family for 4 (2 Ad+ 2 teenage boys). I would like to stay some where thats not right tin the middle of times square.I'd much rather travel a short distance to the main attraction then head back to a hotel area that has good food and a good vibe. I'd also like to experience Chinatown and Little Italy.
What would be the best time to book a hotel considering we are not traveling till mid Feb plus any recommendations on hotels and areas?

Thanks in advance
Snippy

Last edited by Snipersham; Sep 23rd, 2021 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Not specific
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 08:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to Fodors! There is a reason that February is low season in NYC. You might luck out and have temps in the 50's or you might have temps in the teens and low 20's. Who knows what the Covid situation will be at that time? I am not a NYC expert by any stretch of the imagination. Last time I was there was October 2001 about a month after 9/11. Depending on where you are coming from, you have a better chance of making it coming into the city on Amtrak than flying into JFK or LGA.
Expect that most hotels will be at less than 60% capacity so you can plan on making reservations about a week to 10 days before arrival.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 09:12 AM

I would look at the Beacon now and, if it’s suitable, make a reservation. Cancellation is allowed, I believe, 72 hours before your stay. I’ve not stayed there but I know many contributors here praise it highly. On Broadway near 75th Street. Listed on Travelzoo with what seems to be a good price. Of course, I do not know your dates nor room requirements.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 09:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't make any sort of hotel recommendation without knowing your budget.

For a Feb trip I would definitely have good travel insurance since airlines don't really help much if delays and cancellations are weather related. I was in NYC for 3 days during the 'big blizzard' in Feb '14 and was on one of only about 6 flights that got out of LGA my last day. And that one had to stop Memphis get avgas in because they couldn't take off with enough fuel to make it to DFW. (JFK/EWR/LGA were all essentially shut down for 2 days).

Was a great trip but LOTS of snow and very cold.

OR - it could be just fine . . .
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 09:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - and welcome to Fodors
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 08:28 PM

I like to plan in advance so would likely book a refundable reservation now just to have something reserved and start looking again a month or so before your travel dates.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 04:45 AM

As suggested, book now with cancellation option. Do not prepay.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 07:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You have already made a wise decision by not staying in or near Times Square. We avoid it having grown up nearby. Take a walk through it to see the billboards and all and then, keep on walking. The Broadway theaters are a short distance to the west of it.
Chinatown and Little Italy are adjacent to each other. We used to have dinner in Chinatown and have a dessert like cannoli in Little Italy from a bakery there. Since you will be downtown, you could go to the Statue of Liberty or take the free Staten Island ferry for views of the the Statue of Liberty and looking back at the NYC skyline. This is the best deal in NYC!
If a hotel offers free cancellation up to your arrival date, then it’s fine to go ahead and book it.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Broadway Plaza is in a good location for what you plan to do and has rooms with 2 queen beds for approx $175 per night which includes all taxes & "fees". Close to several subway stops Free cancellation up til 72 hrs before arrival. Nearby the Hampton Inn on W 24th Str also has some rooms with 2 queens, and includes breakfast. ....also @ around $175 per night with 72 hr cancellation.

Great breakfast sandwiches at Daily Provisions nearby.
Taralluci e Vino for Brunch
Oscar Wilde for the buttermilk fried chicken sandwiches
Momoya for Japanese
Thai Villa is exceptional
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Much appreciated.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 09:44 AM

I stayed at the Sheraton 4 Points in Long Island City and saved a substantial amount over staying in Manhattan. You would have to check the rates for your stay. It was 3 blocks from 2 different subway stations. Pretty much anywhere that I wanted to go was a 15-20 minute ride on the subway. I did not eat at the restaurant in the hotel. There were a few neighborhood places. I usually ate before leaving Manhattan.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 09:49 AM

Since you probably be using the subway for some of your attraction visiting I suggest you go to the MTA website and download the subway map to your smartphone. https://new.mta.info/
on that page select Menu and then Maps, then subway map (the download usually starts right away depending on your phone settings). Even if you have some familiarity with the NYC subway you should explore around the MTA site.

I am also going to repost with a couple of modifications what I posted on another recent thread. It is regarding the MetroCard use on the subway. You won't find this on the MTA site (well not in one place).

Since you will be using the subway, I advise that you don't make the mistake a lot of visitors do - getting the $3.00 single fare card from the MetroCard vending machines.

First of all, the booths no longer do any transactions (due to COVID-19).

In using the MetroCard machines there is a 2 transaction limit per day, system wide, when using the same debit or credit card.
The machines will only do one transaction at a time.

If using cash in the vending machine the maximum amount of change the machine will
give is $9.00. If the change amount due is higher the machine will suggest a MetroCard at a higher amount. If using cash have some $10 or $5 bills.

Also do not choose the $9.00 MetroCard as you would have to add more money to bring it to full fares. (Select Start, then MetroCard and then Buy a new card).
​​​​
My recommendation is get a regular MetroCard (there will be a one time fee of $1 for a new card). Put at least $11.00 on the card - that will cover 1 fare for each of you (the fare is $2.75). Put $22.00 on to cover 2 fares (round trip) for each of the 4 you (remember there is a daily credit/credit card transaction limit mentioned earlier).

You can add more value at any time using the MetroCard machines (Start, then MetroCard and then Refill a MetroCard). If the amount you want to put on the card is not shown on the screen of machine then choose 'other amount' and enter the amount on the screen.

Examples:

2 fares 5.50
4 fares 11.00
6 fares 16.50
8 fares 22.00

The 'Regular' (pay per ride) card can handle up to 4 people (as long as you have the money loaded on it). If you had 5 people and tried to use it for the 5th person you would see a 'Just Used' message on the little window on the turnstile. In using the card for more than one person it makes no difference if you swipe it in the turnstile each time or you go first and hand it back to the next person in your group. (Swipe is the term used to describe the sliding of the MetroCard in the slot at the top of the turnstile)

Enjoy your trip.
​​
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 08:15 PM

nycguy, for a family of 4 would it make good sense to take taxis some of the time? I truly don't know but would wonder if it might (or might not) be a good idea.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by KTtravel
nycguy, for a family of 4 would it make good sense to take taxis some of the time? I truly don't know but would wonder if it might (or might not) be a good idea.
Taxis can be expensive and traffic in Manhattan especially from midtown going southward (and northward too) can bring travel to a crawl. The taxi meter is running even when you are stopped and in traffic or at a traffic light (there is a traffic light on every corner and they are not alway synchronized). And then there is a tip you add to the taxi meter.

To me the subway is cheaper, faster when getting around most areas of Manhattan.

But the choice is yours. You can alway try one or the other.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 05:25 AM

Financial District

I live in the Financial District and there's a lot to do downtown and a good choice for hotels.

Little Italy, Chinatown, Soho are very close and you can get any subway line from downtown. There's also 911 Memorial Park, Battery Park and the Seaport are great options and in the neighborhood....all very close and totally walkable. The river cruises are also out of the Seaport and a fun evening activity. There's nothing like NYC at night!