Recs for Singapore hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just decided 2 days ago to stop in Singapore for 3 days on my way to Japan for 3 weeks next March. Am checking out hotels on Trip Advisor and wondering if any recs from Fodorites. Traveling with son so will be booking 2 rooms so around $200-300 per night.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Karen
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 01:14 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
It's been awhile since we were there, but our favorite hotel in Singapore was always the Royal Plaza on Scotts Road.

https://www.royalplaza.com.sg/
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 03:24 PM

https://www.millenniumhotels.com/en/...tel-singapore/

We did day break here after our cruise as we had a late flight.

Its in your price range and we ere treated very well.

You can walk a short distance to Chinatown and to Orchard Road.

Old Sep 18th, 2021, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by KRNS
Just decided 2 days ago to stop in Singapore for 3 days on my way to Japan for 3 weeks next March. Am checking out hotels on Trip Advisor and wondering if any recs from Fodorites. Traveling with son so will be booking 2 rooms so around $200-300 per night.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Karen
https://www.panpacific.com/en/hotels...pp-marina.html

This place we stayed for 5 days pre cruise. It very nice and in your price range too.

I posted another hotel, The M but sometimes Fodors reviews responses first so hopefully that will come through later. The M is nice, less money and its short walk to Chinatown and Orchard Rd. We stay here one day post cruise as we had a late flight.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Sep 18th, 2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses. How do you research hotels as I only know TripAdvisor?

Karen
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 05:51 AM

It such a long time since I was in Singapore that my recommendation for hotels would no longer be relevant. However, when it comes to researching hotels anywhere, I tend to rely on booking.com as then I can be confident that the reviews are genuine and the reviewers have actually stayed there. I think it is common knowledge than many reviews (good and bad) on TA are fake. There are even organisations that will offer to get establishments up the rankings by paid for reviews.

Usually works out for me and we do ( or rather did!) stay in a lot of hotels. In fact 90% of the time I end up booking through booking.com (sometimes expedia) as there rates are usually as good and often better than I can get direct.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 05:58 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I have tried three times to post this, but nothing happens. I will try to post again, without the links.

There are countless ways to research hotels.

I sometimes start with booking sites (which also have reviews) and then go from there. I often compare a booking site to the hotel's direct site to make sure the room descriptions match, and then compare prices and cancellation policies.

A few sources to get you started - you'll have to Google the links since when I provide them, my post disappears. Fodor's Sunday morning glitch I guess.

CNN Traveler, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Kayak, HotelsCombined, etc.

Old Sep 19th, 2021, 06:44 AM

Good ideas above.

Try going to a hotel booking site like Expedia or hotels.com the latter of which we used for Singapore.

Put in your dates and price range and you will get plenty of suggestions normally.

You can compare prices to the hotel website directly. I recall once I saw a cheaper price for a hotel in Manhattan than its own website but by calling them and pointing this out they offered me that price.

I would suggest dining at Lavos roof top bar and restaurant in Marina Bay Sands. The views of Singapore at night are spectacular.

https://www.marinabaysands.com/restaurants/lavo.html

Last edited by jacketwatch; Sep 19th, 2021 at 06:49 AM. Reason: addenum
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 06:53 AM

View of Singapore from Lavos in Marina Bay Sands
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 04:11 AM

Umm? Are you talking US$, $200-300 per night? Or S$200?
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

$200, US. I'd spend more on a nice, bigger room for 2 but for some reason my son thinks it's icky to share a room with his mama, lol.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 03:36 PM

$200, US. I'd spend more on a nice, bigger room for 2 but for some reason my son thinks it's icky to share a room with his mama, lol.
Typical teen. .
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

It's been quite awhile since he was a teen. lol I think I could share a room with anybody, not in it much anyway. But I have noticed some hotels have clear glass between bedroom and bathroom. definitely not a fan!

I am really liking the Pan Pacific and so far that is the one i would book. Thank you for the recs.

Karen
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 04:18 AM

It's been quite awhile since he was a teen. lol I think I could share a room with anybody, not in it much anyway. But I have noticed some hotels have clear glass between bedroom and bathroom. definitely not a fan!

I am really liking the Pan Pacific and so far that is the one i would book. Thank you for the recs.

Karen
we really enjoyed our stay there. It’s an easy walk to the Gardens by the Bay, it’s connected to a mall or at least close to one and it has a sumptuous breakfast buffet.
If you like Indian food they have a wonderful restaurant called the Rang Mahal.

I am sure you will enjoy Singapore.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 02:48 PM

Frankly, I always like to stay in 'Little India' while in S'pore. Seems more down to earth, far less Western commerciailized, more colorful and interesting. Delicious food too, served on a banana leaf!
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 07:29 PM

Before COVID, I usually went to S'pore at least a few days each year, I've always liked the Interconinental Hotel. Its a really convenient location. It's right on top of the Bugis MRT station, with lots of little shops, restaurants and even a grocery store. I peeked at the rates for next March and they looked to be about $200. I love the rooms and the service, and they had a taxi stand in on the property. (Not sure if still in effect, but last trip in 2018, taxis could only pick up and drop off in official stands, and since my flights home were always at the crack of dawn, that was important to me). Because I often went there with little advance planning, I've tried a lot of other hotels over the years, but do love the IC.
Like most cities, I'm not sure what changes have been made to dining, MRT and other activities in the last two years!
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 07:54 PM

We've been going back and forth Singapore for the last 10 years and we really like to stay in Orchard Road. You can literally shop til you drop and your hotel would be nearby. Pre-COVID, I know the hotels in Orchard Road can get a little pricey but there's this affordable hotel in front of the Old Chang Kee Road which charges less than $200 a night. It's Hotel Grand Central. Before, I think it was only around $100+. They've renovated the hotel the past few years and it's a nice place to stay if you're looking to explore the city plus I swear the food place in front is one of the best in S'pore! They also serve their stingray delicacy there.
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 03:22 AM

I like the Andaz for the view.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 05:21 AM

The Orchard Hotel Singapore occupies a coveted location on the world famous Orchard Road, Singapore's famous shopping, and Entertainment Boulevard. The hotel is also just a five minute walk away from the train station (mass rapid transit).