Staunton Hotel London

Search

Staunton Hotel London

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Staunton Hotel London

I will be visiting my family in London around the 15th of November, and would like to stay near the British Museum and Duke of York Theatre (seeing Ocean at the End of the Lane). The Staunton Hotel looks like a good choice.

Has anyone ever stayed here? Advice?

Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 03:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have no idea about the rooms but I have walked past it lots of times. (I rented a flat a bit around the corner off Goodge Street probably 4 or 5 times and would walk up Gower street to get to the Museum). Never stayed there but it always looked well kept from the outside. What's good about the location is its close to both Goodge Street and Russell Square stations and almost as close to Tottenham Court Rd - which will cover Northern, Piccadilly and Central lines.

It is a bit farther walk from the DoY theatre -- maybe only a mile though. (Or two stops on the tube)

(Isn't the Staunton a bit downmarket for an aristocrat like you )
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Really? Downmarket? I watched a YouTube video review of the Staunton and it looked like a perfectly acceptable first-class hotel.

Are you telling me that the guests of the Staunton say "lounge" instead of "sitting room"? Blimey! 🤩

What will Cousin Helena Bonham Carter think? 🤔

Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 08:21 PM

Old Sep 15th, 2021, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know that hotel but we stayed nearby at the Montague on the Gardens which we really enjoyed.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Montague looks pukka, but why spend the extra dosh? It is more than 50 quid a night extra.

Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 04:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Thin, are you related to Lady Violet, her Grandmother? I loved My Grandparent's war on PBS.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Yes. My mother's father is of the Asquith family. I am also related to the late Duke of Portland (he had no heirs) and Henny, the Duchess of Bedford, although most of her life she was known as the Marchioness of Tavistock.

I don't know much about Lady Voilet, but my grandfather had Princess Bibesco to his house in St John's Wood on many occasions.

My father, who was American, was a career diplomat, was married to an Earl's daughter before he married my mother. They had one daughter, my sister Jane. She hanged herself 30 years ago at her house in Venice. She was married to a Habsburg-Aosta-Savoie. They had one son. He lives in Italy. I haven't seen him in a very long time. My father had contact with him, but my father died last year.

I would love to see him, but he is emotionally distant from my father's second family. It really is a tragedy.

Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 12:48 AM

I would suggest that anyone who thinks the British aristocracy live in luxurious surroundings should visit some of the houses in the Historic Houses Association portfolio. Threadbare doesn't begin to describe. A concern for fine furniture, etc is so nouveaux riches.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 08:03 AM

Any recent thoughts on this hotel? Considering it for November trip. The other hotel we're looking at is Lime Tree. We are booking a twin and a single room (for 3 of us, don't want to triple).
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MFNYC
Any recent thoughts on this hotel? Considering it for November trip. The other hotel we're looking at is Lime Tree. We are booking a twin and a single room (for 3 of us, don't want to triple).

This is a a fairly old thread but my response would be exactly the same as my post #2 above. Still haven't stayed there but did walk past it last May and it still looked well cared for, Unfortunately I don't think the OP has posted in about 3 years so probably didn't report back . . .
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pepper_von_snoot
I will be visiting my family in London around the 15th of November, and would like to stay near the British Museum and Duke of York Theatre (seeing Ocean at the End of the Lane). The Staunton Hotel looks like a good choice.

Has anyone ever stayed here? Advice?

Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Wow I remember this guy. Seems to have posted everyday for 5 or 6 years and then disappeared. He was a great character.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 02:18 PM

Hmmm... I stayed at The Staunton last May for a couple of nights with a friend who had booked it because of its great location and the price, at the time, was very reasonable for this location. Although perfectly clean and adequately furnished, we both found it a bit cramped and rundown and it did not reflect how it came across in the video. Breakfast was ordinary, and it reminded me a bit of the long term lodgings I stayed in Earls Court when I was 'penny pinching' 40 years ago. I am getting increasingly out of touch with the spiralling London hotel prices but I think this is the sort of hotel I would be happy to stay in if I was on a budget and it charged a rate similar to the hotels around Paddington.