Bad News for USA and 4 Other Countries.

Old Aug 28th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad News for USA and 4 Other Countries.

You might want to come up with a "Plan B" right away.

EU to Reimpose Entry Ban on Travellers From US & 5 Other Third Countries on Monday,

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...y-sources-say/
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 05:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't make out if the ban goes into effect on Monday or they're just announcing it Monday for a later effective date. I'm suspecting the former.

Old Aug 28th, 2021, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forbes has reported "restrictions," not ban. Forbes also reported that each country in the EU can set its own restrictions.

Since the UK is no longer in the EU, Americans can still travel there with "two jabs" or negative COVID-19 Antigen test.

Still, my husband and I were the smart ones to visit Paris in July. 🤩

Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 10:13 PM

Read the actual Reuters article - not the ridiculous clickbait joke of a website that people actually think is legit.

https://www.reuters.com/world/eu-mov...ts-2021-08-27/

Old Aug 29th, 2021, 03:01 AM

The EU is expected to announce the updates to their safe list on Monday, Aug. 30. We don’t know yet what the recommendations will be, though there has been the suggestion that US citizens will likely have more restrictions placed on them - but not that they will be banned. But we still don’t know what the recommendations will be.

And whatever is decided, remember, the recommendations are non-binding on member states. For example, Italy is also expected to announce the latest set of travel restrictions on Monday as their current policies for travel are expiring.

We will find out soon enough!

Last edited by progol; Aug 29th, 2021 at 03:04 AM.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 04:15 AM

The US does not allow any travelers from the EU, even though the number of cases relative to the population is much lower in the EU compared to the US.
(compare statistics on www.ourworldindata.org).
I don't understand why the EU allows American tourists at all, under these circumstances.

Old Aug 29th, 2021, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tulips
The US does not allow any travelers from the EU, even though the number of cases relative to the population is much lower in the EU compared to the US.
(compare statistics on www.ourworldindata.org).
I don't understand why the EU allows American tourists at all, under these circumstances.
I completely agree that it’s unfair and I don’t understand why the US hasn’t allowed vaccinated/negatively tested travelers from the EU. However, I imagine that the EU has suffered financially and allowing US citizens in has at least helped economically.

But it never made sense to me that the US didn’t reciprocate. After all, it couldn’t hurt financially, either.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 05:45 AM

The vast majority of tourists in the EU are European - and they have been staying closer to home recently and are spending more in their home countries.
For France, for example, 70% of tourists are domestic, and the 30% international tourists are mostly from other EU countries.
The income from US tourists, while no doubt welcome, is a minor consideration. The EU has every right to ask for reciprocal travel arrangements from the US.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 06:35 AM

Tulips,
I’m not trying to justify the US refusing to allow EU citizens in - I think it’s vastly unfair. Certainly, US (and other non-EU countries) weren’t allowed to travel for a long period during the pandemic and domestic travel was encouraged.

I just read that 30% of bookings for the fall in Italy are with US citizens - a large chunk, and certainly an important motivator to manage travel.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 06:46 AM

Sorry Progol, I hope everyone can travel safely. But I know some people who still cannot visit their children and grandchildren in the US.
Cases in US are 4x those in Italy, relative to the population size.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 07:22 AM

It is illogical for a country with Covid to deny entry to travelers from another country with Covid. But who said countries decide things with logic?
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 08:41 AM

The reuters article suggests more restrictions for unvaccinated, which I am fine with.
"reinstate COVID travel restrictions like quarantine and testing requirements for unvaccinated citizens of the United States "

I'm supposed to go to Spain Thursday night. We are vaccinated. As of now no negative test required, but we planned on getting a PCR test 2 days prior to be safe. Will have to keep following this story, to see if anything else changes.

Spain numbers have been trending down and their vaccine pace has been excellent. Sadly, can't say the same for much of the US.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 09:51 AM

I agree Biden should have rescinded the presidential proclamation banning residents of Schengen and other countries from visiting the USA, first signed by DJT back in March 2020.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
It is illogical for a country with Covid to deny entry to travelers from another country with Covid. But who said countries decide things with logic?
So, everybody should be able to go everywhere then - is that what you are saying?
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tulips
Sorry Progol, I hope everyone can travel safely. But I know some people who still cannot visit their children and grandchildren in the US.
Cases in US are 4x those in Italy, relative to the population size.
I understand and that is terribly unfair. It has been a rough time for everyone and it is a difficult emotional time for so many.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 02:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Orlando is not good right now. Hospitals are full. I live on the east coast and we have so many people that won't get vaccinated. I am getting my hair cut this week and we are back to mask and sitting in car until you get a text from the stylist. I hope they restrict the EU to vaccinated people unless a medical reason and then why would you put yourself at risk like that? It would make me feel better on the plane. Waiting to see if we need to cancel.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 02:48 PM

It doesn't have anything to do with "Fairness". It isn't that some country lets Americans in so we have to let them in to be "nice". This isn't a dinner party where you should reciprocate. Some countries with really high COVID rates let anyone in, that doesn't mean we should have let them in the US, obviously.

Now I agree the US banning certain countries in the EU doesn't make sense from infection stats, but I don't think "fairness" has anything to do with these decisions, and shouldn't. They are based on what that country perceives appropriate, hopefully health-wise. Although I suspect economic reasons are part of it, sure.

Right now, the UK has higher infection rates than the US. I don't understand that, I thought they were supposed to have had really high early vaccination rates. IN fact, many countries in Europe had higher rates than the US up until just very recently, including France. They don't right this week, but that's a fairly new situation.

I don't really know what drives the powers that be in the US in this decision, to be honest. I think they did the same thing with Canada, which is even stranger since that can be done by land. I suppose if you were European, you could say, well it isn't a good idea to go to a country with higher infection rates than where I live. That's my decision-making tool, to be honest, I won't go places with higher rates than where I live. I have been dreaming of a European trip this Fall but and crossed off countries with too high rates, and that included France just a few weeks ago. The Netherlands was pretty bad up until recently, also. And Spain. So I was thinking Germany as I have a German friend but to be honest, I couldn't get as excited about going there.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Aramis
So, everybody should be able to go everywhere then - is that what you are saying?
Yes. If they have medical insurance in case they get sick (Covid ICU care in the US runs into the multi $100,000') and there are available hospital beds in the visited country. Eventually everybody will be Covid immune (illness or vaccine) or dead.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 05:08 PM

I'm am so bummed out. I'm not surprised but am so sad, as I am supposed to fly to Rome on October 1. Here's the latest article from 45 minutes ago.
I am fully vaccinated and getting my booster before my trip. I am perfectly 100% willing to get tested every day, but my trip is less than 2 weeks, so I can't quarantine.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...y-sources-say/

I don't want to start an angry discussion, but why can't Americans just get vaccinated?
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 05:11 PM

Macross - when are you scheduled to fly and to where?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -