Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St. Martin.. sampson bay, oyster pond..so confused...

Old Aug 14th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to go to St. Martin next summer. So confused in what area to stay. Want to be able to walk to restaurants/bars.
also, what's a must do there or see. Thank you.
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 09:49 AM

Those areas you mention are in Sint Maarten, not St Martin. The island is divided into the French (St Martin) and Dutch (Sint Maarten) part. I have stayed in the French part which I prefer and really enjoyed Grand Case, lots of restaurants/bars in walking distance of the beach, not many hotels, mainly apartments. But you might prefer the Dutch side which is livelier and has big hotels. The must-dos depend on your interests. You can get to Anguilla on a day trip if you wish or go from Grand Case airport to St Barths for a day trip, swimming, snorkelling, eating, drinking, rent a car and tour around the island. Depends on the COVID situation too as going to other islands can be tricky with various entry requirements.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 04:40 PM

Hi eninajsti,

Sounds like you are after entertainment in the evening. Though the Grand Case advice is correct, it is more restaurants you find there, not the bars as much.

You might want to take a look at the Simpson (not sampson as you wrote) Bay area, that combines the both slightly more. And due to more highrise hotels, bars relatively closer by. The same with activities as I take you to be looking after that too. https://www.visitstmaarten.com/areas/simpson-bay/

Re what to do, try the world's steepest zipline on the middle of the Dutch side. Great view too.