Search

South America Trip 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2021, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South America Trip 2021

Hello,
I want to visit South America this year. My journey will takes approximately 90-100 days.
I want to visit: Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Paragauy.
I am fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine. (3 months ago).

For sure I will go from Colombia to Ecuador because in this way I will pay for one pcr test less.

I have questions:
- its good idea to visit SA this year (September - December)
- good places for cheap antigen tests
- there is still 10 days qarantine in Bolivia? (when this country will reopen. I saw information that country will open in August.)
- when Paragay will reopen? And there is still 5 days qarantine?
- when Chile will reopen for tourists?
- all atractions are open in this countries?

Thank you for help

Last edited by Moderator3; Jul 21st, 2021 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Remove link
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:02 AM

Just to answer the first question
NO

The only one on your list that I would even consider is Ecuador and possibly Peru.

Restrictions can be researched on the state department Travel Advisory pages.

There is a handy color-coded world map.

https://travelmaps.state.gov/TSGMap/...3,-1.436114602

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 21st, 2021 at 07:18 AM.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

OK,
I dont know what it is. Travel state gov? Never heard before
Thanks for share.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 06:49 AM

State Department of the U S Government Travel Advisories

There should be similar from other nations
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 07:49 AM

You may want to visit those countries but it is unlikely you will be able to without incurring significant problems, delays and costs. For the vast majority of countries, it matters not one jot whether you are vaccinated or not. Your own country may allow you to travel if vaccinated but that doesn’t mean other countries will let you in.

to answer your specific questions, as far as I can;
- its good idea to visit SA this year (September - December) - not especially. That is the rainy season for much of the Peruvian and Ecuadorean Andes

- good places for cheap antigen tests - absolutely no idea! Try Tripadvisor forums.

- there is still 10 days qarantine in Bolivia? (when this country will reopen. I saw information that country will open in August.) - Yes you would currently be required to quarantine. Anyone’s guess whether tithings will change by august . Personally, I doubt it.

- when Paragay will reopen? And there is still 5 days qarantine? No idea, but why would you want to go there?
- when Chile will reopen for tourists? Impossible to predict, but if the government there have any sense, not until the vast majority or the population have been vaccinated.

- all atractions are open in this countries? Of course not!

Seriously, do yourself and those countries a big favour and defer your visit until 2022. Things will likely look a lot different then. I have spent a lot of time travelling around this countries over the years and have found the optimum time to be between May and October
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Hello Crellston,
I want to visit Paraguay because nobody goes there and there are a few tinteresting places.
  • Asuncion
  • Parque Nacional San Rafael
  • Ciudad del Este
  • Encarnacion
  • The Ruta Jesuica
  • Chaco
Also Paraguay starts slowly reopen borders for tourists.
I saw information that Chile borders stay closed till 27.07.2021.
I am ready to visit South Amerika in 2022 year but I dont know how to rebook my flight tickets for 2022 in flyTAP.
And I'm ready to come back in between May and September/October 2022 year.
thanks for your comment.It was very helpful.

Best regards
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 01:05 PM

Fair enough, though I do believe you are attempting to pack into many destinations into the time you have allocated. South America is a vast continent with a limited travel infrastructure and getting form A to B can take a lot longer than you might expect. Visiting 6 countries in 90-100 days leaves you around 2 weeks per country. barely enough time to scratch the surface of any of them. It may be counter intuitive, but visiting fewer countries will mean that you actually end up seeing much more.

Most of our trips to South America have been < 6-8months usually spending a min of six weeks in each country. I haven’t been to Brazil but have been to all the other countries you mention. Ecuador, being so small is the only one where two weeks would be OK - but only just! As a rule of thumb I try never to stay in a place for less than 3 nights as that will only allow two full days to see and do stuff. even on short journeys you can easily lose half a day moving between locations. factor in travelling during the height of a pandemic where borders can be closed almost without warning, covid tests are required every time you get on a plane or enter a new country and you could be spending a very large proportion of your time in transit or waiting around.

It is of course your trip, but if it were mine, would look at no more than three countries. For a first time visit Colombia, Ecuador and Peru fit well together for an overland trip. Bolivia, Peru and Argentina also worked well for us. We covered our travels in these places in some detail in our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/ . Just click on the destination tab and then the country concerned.

Good luck sorting out your flight tickets.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for help and your link
There are airlines in South America. So i can get very fast in cheap way from A to B.
I hope that this airlines work great
Without any problems.
Btw my first plan was:
  • Chile+Argentina (Patagonia)
  • Peru
  • Paraguay
  • Ecuador
  • 2 cities in Colombia: Bogota and Cartagena
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 10:50 PM

Yes I know there are airlines in South America. However, it would be a triumph of hope over experience to assume that they will get you from A to B very quickly. All South American Airlines are renowned mostly for their unreliability. Cancellations and delay are frequent, almost the norm. Flights within countries may, in normal times be cheap but flying from Country to country can be expensive. Though currently that may be the only as many land borders remain closed.
Most of our traveling around the continent has been done by bus with the exception of Colombia which I deemed too unsafe.
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

I want to fly with GOL, LATAM and AZUL airlines.
And if it possible move between cities by bus.
I want only visit Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru and Brazil (I have flights from Europe to Brazil).
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 04:11 PM

Santa Catarina in Southern Brazil is the best place to visit.

The majority of the people are Germans and Italians descendants, which makes some people call it Europe of Brazil as the landscapes and serenity of the places here are very similar to those in Europe.

Awesome coastline and Mountains region.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

I would like to know that border crossing between Peru and Ecuador is open.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 12:37 AM

No it’s not only possible by air.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

And between Ecuador and Colombia? From Tulcan – Ipiales this border crossing is open?
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 01:59 AM

Last time I looked a week or so ago, that wasn’t possible either. I think it ma6 be sometime before land borders are opened up in South America. You may find more up to date info on the Tripadvisor forums. Activity here is minimal to put it mildly. Slow on TA but at least there you will get some expats who post info and will be better placed to know what is going on.