Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need DIGITAL 'Covid' Certificate to enter Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2021, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,
has anybody tried to enter Italy recently?..

I am planning to visit from a List C country (i.e. an EEA country): (Tried to post the weblink here, but as a new user, I can't post URLs yet)

On the above page, it says that you need to "present the Covid-19 green certificate"
Similarly, on a closely related page (infocovid.viaggiaresicuri. ... ), it says "present to the carrier and any other authorised person, an EU digital Covid Certificate showing proof that you have either(....)"
These pages say nothing about paper certificates being an alternative!

So, are you literally not allowed to enter Italy (from a LIST C EEA country, at least), without some type of DIGITAL proof of your status? I.e. is a simple paper certificate showing that you've been tested not enough?

On the reopen.europa page, it indicates that non-digital forms of proof are also acceptable (though, I have a feeling these pages don't get updated as often as they should be, at least for some countries).

So, does anybody know which it is? Pretty shocking if you can't enter a country without having a smartphone and some tracking device installed on it. Also pretty infuriating that the info sources aren't aligned, or always very clear.

In advance, thank you for any help!!

Note: I tried emailing the Italian tourist board, and another email relating to Italian tourism, but I received no reply.

Old Jul 8th, 2021, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere - maybe it was on this forum - that the CDC card from the US is considered the same as the digital green certificate. So I think from another C list country would be the same. Otherwise anyone not from the EU or with the EU green certificate would not get in...
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 08:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know whether any of the websites you viewed are official government websites. Those are the only ones I would rely on for accurate and current information.

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...rus&menu=vuoto

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...nu=vuoto&tab=3

A European Commission website says a printout of the Digital Covid Certificate QR code is acceptable.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...certificate_en

I don't see anywhere that a tracking app on a smart phone is required. But you do need to complete a Digital Passenger Locator Form (EUdPLF). A separate and unique QR Code is generated which you are required to carry with you, and a printout is acceptable.

Note that current regulations are in effect until July 30, 2021. Things will probably change (in either direction) after that date.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>>I don't see anywhere that a tracking app on a smart phone is required.<<<

The OP was just expressing his feelings about smart phones.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 10:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Pretty shocking if you can't enter a country without having a smartphone and some tracking device installed on it."

I missed the sarcasm... if any was intended.