Europe to heal my pandemic brain- where?

Old Jul 8th, 2021, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe to heal my pandemic brain- where?

So in retirement I wanted to go often to Europe. I got there once in Feb 2019. I’ve been to a lot of places sometimes multiple times. The places remaining are out of the way and rather complex logistics. Here are places I am interested in going in Sept.

Wengen
Beaulieu Sur-Mer and Menton
Capri
camogli-SML and Rapallo

it is a short trip because I get anxious leaving my cat even with reliable pet sitter.

If the pandemic left you in low spirits where would you go? All are about the same in complex logistics
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

ALso Assisi and Umbrian towns.
I sm fully vaccinated since february
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 06:06 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd go to Wengen. Have been many times.

Love, love, Switzerland. In fact, we've optimistically booked a month long trip for late September to explore a few new areas - Solothurn, Val d' Anniviers, Locarno, Celerina, Tifencastel and Rapperswil.

Nothing like Switzerland to soothe one's battered soul.

PS - Wengen isn't difficult to get to.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 8th, 2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 07:42 AM

I'd go to Camogli,SML and Rapallo and surrounds. We had a 3 week trip booked for the Italian Riviera last September which of course had to be cancelled. Was considering doing it this year but some of the places I wanted to stay are booked up already for my dates and the logistics of getting there with not as many flight choices from the west coast plus my husband is not keen yet to travel overseas due to the delta variants mean it won't happen this year either.

I hope it happens for you!
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vicky
If the pandemic left you in low spirits where would you go? All are about the same in complex logistics
I have not been to Switzerland, but one cannot go wrong with Italy. Are you traveling solo? Any other parameters that could come into play?
Capri could be as simple as a flight into Naples, a taxi, and a ferry.
Camogli is fairly easy to access. I would definitely go to the place that is easiest to get to. Restrictions are coming back into play in some places already.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 10:04 AM

Vicky, your concern for your cat really touched me. I am addicted to my cat/cats and their care. I once cancelled a trip to Paris because my cat was ill. We have always had several cats, but they grew old and we have only one old, dear, very sweet, cat left. She is on several medicines and special foods and requires daily attention to check eyes, etc. It is terrible to think of leaving her, I hardly trust anyone now to take proper (much less great) care of her. I am writing this to say that If you live anywhere near me, and wanted to bring her/him, I would take loving care of your cat for you. It could have a room in my house or the run of the house. I am in Baltimore, MD.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Sassafrass you are sweet. Creme is 14 but in good health. I have a professional cat sitter but my concern is making sure I get back to her!
I am going solo.
closedt airport is Harrisburg pa. Either I get to jfk or have multiple connections. Gotta be careful where I connect as if in Europe there are restrictions
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Barfleur, Urzig, Eguisheim, Trier, Tuscany, Lecce

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jul 8th, 2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The UK lists the following as "green-lit" , aka safe for travel
  1. Australia
  2. New Zealand
  3. Singapore
  4. Brunei
  5. Iceland
  6. Faroe Islands
  7. Gibraltar
  8. Falkland Islands
  9. Malta
  10. South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
  11. Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha

Old Jul 8th, 2021, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Three years ago I had just started a new job and had limited vacation time--yet I wanted to get away. I took a short-ish trip to Turin-Camogli-Milan. I'm a very physically active culture vulture, so the Camogli part was my r-and-r stop between heavy museum-going in the cities. It was wonderfully relaxing to hike and take boats between the little towns. I personally find the seaside very restorative in general. I stayed at Cenobio dei Dogi, a great hotel.

https://www.cenobio.it/it/home

I can also recommend Umbria and I've stayed in Assisi a couple times, though are you planning to rent a car?

Have been to Capri, but it was so long ago my impressions are no longer relevant.

What do you like to do on holiday?
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 11:01 PM

I love Switzerland and Dubai. Logistic and transportation service is 100% best...
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

What I like depends. In London for example it’s theatre, museums, shopping, tea, sightseeing.

But in small towns in Italy its scenery, coffee, reading by a pool, swimming, checking out little boutiques. I’m not a foodie. I like beautiful hotels and dressing up.

This is would be a more relaxing trip than a sightseeing trip.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 07:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>>But in small towns in Italy its scenery, coffee, reading by a pool, swimming, checking out little boutiques. I’m not a foodie. I like beautiful hotels and dressing up. <<<

Until I read that I was going to recommend you stay away from Capri with its crowded street and sites. However, if you're going to relax in a beautiful hotel, I would suggest the Quisisana in Capri town. https://www.quisisana.com Very pricey however.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 08:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold
The UK lists the following as "green-lit" , aka safe for travel
  1. Falkland Islands
  2. South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
  3. Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
That is such a useful and convenient list! (The numbering was changed by my 'delete' button to get rid of the irrelevant destinations.)
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 03:41 PM

Vicky
i have stayed in Wengen during winter. It is a beautiful mountain setting but you’re not going to find a grand hotel or place to dress up. I’ve been to Camogli and surrounds and stayed in portofino. It is very beautiful area with lovely places to stay and visit and great shopping. Once I was there in Sept and it rained for several days. Beaulieu would also be lovely as well as Capri.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac
That is such a useful and convenient list! (The numbering was changed by my 'delete' button to get rid of the irrelevant destinations.)
LOL. He might as well list Antarctica.
Who travels to these places?
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by billirandall
I love Switzerland and Dubai. Logistic and transportation service is 100% best...
Dubai?
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 04:12 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Vicky from what I know of you, I would suggest Capri. Your dresses would go perfect as I can see you walking around fitting in like a local.

I took a tour from Rome to Sorrento with a day trip to Capri and loved both places. I wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy the beaches. I could easily go there to clear my mind by just watching the sunset over the water with a gelato.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 05:18 PM

If you are thinking of going as far south as Sorrento anyway, look at Hotel Lorelei Londres. The setting is amazing. I stayed there many years ago, before it was closed several years for renovations. The reviews are still great. The food gets rave reviews. You might enjoy reading the history of the hotel and the renovations.
While there are many great places in the area, another favorite of mine is Hotel Minerva. It has a magnificent terrace with stunning views, nice pool and excellent restaurant. You just have to make sure you get a sea facing room, not one at the back. People gather in the evening on the terrace for drinks and conversation.
Lastly, there is a place in Sorrento called The Foreigners’ Club. They serve good food, but the great thing is a huge, sim-circular terrace with fabulous views of the bay day and night with a band and dancing most nights until late. Sometimes (not always) there are single ladies and gentlemen). It is nice to have something to do at night.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 11:39 PM

I do not see the logistical problem with Menton. It is 7 hours from Paris by train and one hour from the Nice airport by train.

https://flic.kr/p/28LG2dm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -