Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

More in Amtrak Travel. Falling for North Carolina in Charlotte and Asheville!

More in Amtrak Travel. Falling for North Carolina in Charlotte and Asheville!

Old May 21st, 2022, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess Thursday says what I'd say about Raleigh although when we've gone to Chapel Hill we might go to Raleigh's farmers' market or one time to the museum for a wonderful quaran/islamist exhibit.
Charlotte's scene has changed a lot in the past years--more museums, dining light rail, sports. Winston Salem is always a goo choice as is the potteries around Seagrove. And the zoo.
Charlotte's uptown area is very walkable with at least 4 of the museums within a few blocks as are all the sports venues and concert halls/theaters. Interesting to me to put that together actualy.
Old May 21st, 2022, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Gretchen - so would Charlotte be feasible without a car? The Triangle area does have bus services now, probably best in Chapel Hill, but I haven't looked into using them for sightseeing.
Old May 21st, 2022, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thursdaysd—I travel everywhere without my own wheels and I’m sure there are limitations, but Charlotte was an enjoyable visit without a car. While it is true that I needed an Uber to and from the Charlotte train station into Uptown, once I was in Uptown, I was quite pleased with how much there was to do within walking distance of my hotel. This includes a decent density of appealing restaurants, museums and proximity to the Fourth Ward neighbourhood. I was told that there are areas of interest also on the light rail line (NoDa I remember was one area the guide said was on the light rail) too, although I didn’t have time to check that out.

Interesting to read both your and Gretchen’s experience in the other large North Carolina urban agglomeration.

Old May 21st, 2022, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Daniel - I do most of my travel out of the country. Living in one NC city area, I've never felt a particular need to visit the other when there are so many other places. Even way back when, when we often visited my then in-laws in Savannah, the route never went through Charlotte, and it's not on the way to the mountains, either.