Southern Idaho in July - Must sees?

Old Jun 15th, 2021, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Idaho in July - Must sees?

Hi,

I'd like some ideas of must sees in Idaho. We're traveling there for 6 days in July flying in/out of Boise. Due to time constraints, we're goin to focus on the southern part of the state. Here's my very rough itenirary but wondering if I'm spending too much time in one place and not enough in another or if I'm trying to do too much in a short period.

Day 1 - Land in Boise and drive to Ketchum
Day 2 - Sun Valley
Day 3 - Sun Valley/Stanley
Day 4 - Twin Falls/Shoshone Falls
Day 4 - Twin Falls - rafting?
Day 5 - Crater of the Moon - don't know where to stay
Day 6 - Drive back to Boise
Day 7 - Fly out

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 12:26 PM

There's not much near Craters of the Moon except a motel in Arco. You could do it as a day trip from Ketchum. It will be hot in July.

I'd be inclined to spend the bulk of my time in the Ketchum/Stanley area. Shoshone Falls doesn't take that long to see and Twin Falls doesn't have much else to offer. You could also consider a combination of Ketchum/Stanley and McCall if you want to stay in two different locations that are still close to Boise.

Have you checked rental car and accommodation availability yet?

Last edited by Patty; Jun 16th, 2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 06:23 PM

Ditto don't spend that much time in Twin Falls. Are you doing anything in Boise? It is a really cool city. They have a great Basque food scene, We have enjoyed visits to the Art Museum, a birds of prey sanctuary, and the old prison is interesting. You could do white water rafting out of Boise, too.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

These are great suggestions! Would 4 nights in Ketchum using it as a base to see Stanley as well be too much time? Then we would do 1 night in Twin Falls and 1 night with a full day in Boise. I have kids ages 7 and 11. Any must see activities for kids? Thanks again for the replies!
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 07:04 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
While not necessarily close to any of your proposed driving routes, but possibly a day trip from either Boise or Twin Falls, a visit to Bruneau Canyon might be enjoyable. This is a relatively little-known but stunning location around 70 or 80 miles from either city.

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/XvkRSweu6CCGuwSu7
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Echoing Patty's comments... I would look into lodging before you get too locked into nights here/there. And, if you're planning to rent a car, get that locked down as there have been many reports of a shortage of vehicles everywhere.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! We booked our rental car first because that was the hardest part! Bruneau canyon looks amazing! Is that where the sand dunes are as well?
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 12:05 PM

For activities, there's river rafting out of Stanley, numerous lakes and hiking trails between Stanley and Ketchum, boat/kayak/SUP rentals and a hiker boat shuttle at Redfish Lake. There's also horseback riding at Redfish Lake. The drive from Ketchum to Stanley takes a little over an hour each way going over Galena Summit and is a gorgeous drive. You could split your stay between Ketchum and Stanley but accommodations are limited in Stanley so if you haven't booked anything yet it'll be easier to find something in Ketchum.

Redfish Lake

Pettit Lake

For Craters of the Moon you could also do that as a detour on your drive to Twin Falls. That should still give you enough time to see Shoshone Falls in the afternoon. Keep in mind that in summer water is diverted for agricultural use so the falls won't look like the photos you see on the internet which are taken in spring. You can make a quick stop to see the Snake River Canyon as well. There's parking at the Twin Falls visitor center near the Perrine Bridge, a walking trail along the rim and sometimes you can see base jumpers at the bridge.

Snake River Canyon

You could stop at Bruneau Canyon Overlook and/or Bruneau Dunes State Park (I haven't been to either) on your way from Twin Falls to Boise. A route like this departing from and returning to Boise might work https://goo.gl/maps/ddu7Ma1RPy47w93q6

In Boise the World Center for Birds of Prey that StantonHyde mentioned is worth a visit.

Last edited by Patty; Jun 17th, 2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 06:21 PM

If you click on my user name, you will see a Boise trip report--for family with kids!
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dustbuny76
These are great suggestions! Would 4 nights in Ketchum using it as a base to see Stanley as well be too much time? Then we would do 1 night in Twin Falls and 1 night with a full day in Boise. I have kids ages 7 and 11. Any must see activities for kids? Thanks again for the replies!

LOL - my ONLY prior interest/awareness of Stanley, ID ... had been that it is often-enough the coldest spot in the U.S. (probably not at the dead of winter, but on the edges of various seasons, when other places aren't as extreme as they get)... but I made a special trip to go and see it... and I loved seeing the Sawtooth Mountains along my path there.

*(the Sawtooth Mountains are FAR more fun when you've seen the name on a map a million times, and only then arrive in the area and notice them... and suddenly the light goes on {in your head} )

Upon arrival to Stanley, I discovered that it is quite beautiful, and if a photographer makes an effort for the ideal angles, they could find the most awesome pictures. Particularly of a river in the area, and taking pictures with mountains in the background.

I don't know that I want to be there when it is cold... but natives to the area can be 'proud' of Stanley's often-distinction from afar.

I just wanted to give thumbs-up to the idea of visiting Stanley. (and it IS awkwardly remote from, say, Boise).