Bahamas/Turks Caicos/ Dominic Republic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2021, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help me pick an Caribbean Island: We are a couple in our mid 30s flying from Atlanta and I am trying to choose where to go between Bahamas, Turks and Caicos and the DR. Like snorkeling , beautiful beaches a little bit of night life, good food. I understand that Turks is more expensive than the other two but if it’s worth it don’t mind paying. My SO likes the DR for all its high rated AI, however it seems to be so similar to going to Mexico, which iv been to many times and may want to something different Going in early sept

Last edited by andrearose816; Jun 10th, 2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 09:01 AM

First off, September is peak hurricane season in the Caribbean and the three destinations yo are interested in are smack dab in the middle of the “high risk area”. So if you are comfortable with the risks involved then by all means continue planning but you’d be wise to purchase Trip Insurance with hurricane coverage just in case you have to cancel

Second, while COVID-19 restrictions are beginning to ease it is impossible to predict what type of quarantine rules might be in place at those destinations in September so you should research that very carefully. Be sure to check the official government websites for each of those destinations regularly so you can keep abreast of the changes when/if they occur.

Third, your question is quite vague as all those destinations have the items on your wish list. You are correct in that the T&C is, on average, more pricier that the Bahamas or the Dominican Republic but without knowing what your budget (in terms of actual $) is for airfare, accommodations, food and activities it’s difficult to make meaningful recommendations.

Fourth, far as the Bahamas is concerned, where in the Bahamas are you thinking of going. There are over 800 island and cays in the Bahamas, some are quite remote, some are ultra expensive and some are more budget friendly.

Lastly, give us some idea of what type of accommodations you are seeking: basic barebones motel, high rise hotel, full service luxury resort, All Inclusive or non-All Inclusive, couples only, etc. Tell us too, what type of activities interest you? Are you looking for a destination with mountains, lush rainforests and waterfalls or would you be content on a flatter more arid island? Do you want a large island or a smaller island?

The more info you can supply about your likes and dislikes the easier it will be to steer you in the right direction.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 04:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not pick the DR from that list. But not because it is like Mexico. I much prefer Mexico. They did not seem similar at all to me, except I guess for being Spanish speaking and historical heritage.

But if you just want to go to an All Inclusive at Punta Cana and stay put, I guess some people like that. I've only been to Santo Domingo, Puerta Plata, and Sosua and staying independently. Nothing against the island but not rushing back. Jamaica is my favorite so far for the Caribbean. Puerto Vallarta for Mexico.

Early September is not good weather any of these places! Hurricane or at least rainy season. Hot, humid, etc.

Old Jun 11th, 2021, 10:09 PM

Bahamas and T&C are not in the Caribbean. Out of the options, I would pick T&C, Grace Bay is beautiful and depending which part of GB you stay in, you can snorkel.Currently there is a curfew and as on many islands, there isn't a whole lot of nightlife with dinner being the main event. DR would offer nightlife and a totally different vibe to T&C but not sure now due to COVID how much nightlife there will be.My understanding is that many resorts are on the Atlantic side of DR which may mean the beaches do not have calm water.

T&C is described as being more expensive than the other islands, I have not found it to be so.Obviously if you have a beachfront villa in a 5 star hotel it will cost but there are affordable places along Grace Bay or even set back slightly from the beach, eating out is the same price as NY IMO, which is not cheap of course. Some people do "stay put" in an AI hotel and never venture outside, I was never like that and have stayed in several AI hotels but in the DR I understand it is not all that pleasant to venture outside the hotel. Certainly in the current climate, I would take AI in some destinations for example in downtown Nassau most things are closed and finding a restaurant might be an issue.

It might help to look at the entry requirements for COVID, that might help you decide. Bahamas seems pretty straightforward, T&C is not too complex although you do have to meet certain criteria and submit docs on a portal before travel and no idea about DR.

September is hurricane season, I have been many times to the Caribbean during September and it has been glorious, if there is no hurricane or tropical storm in the area, the weather can be fantastic but it is a risk to go at that time.

Last edited by balthy; Jun 11th, 2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 09:50 AM

andrearose: First, read and answer RoamsAround's questions. Second, is there a reason you are limiting yourselves to those three destinations? There are plenty of places south of those (as balthy said, actually in the Caribbean) that would fit your snorkle/beaches/food/night life needs.