Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving Maine to New Brunswick in October - worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2021, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My wife and I have a trip planned to Maine from October 5-13, flying into Portland. My original intent was to explore coastal Maine then drive all the way to Nova Scotia (where I really wanted to go, been to Maine before). But I've nixxed that idea because:

1. I underestimated the drive, it's too long and I want to spend more relaxing time there
2. The Celtic Colours festival is all virtual this year
3. Borders are not open to U.S. tourists right now, but possibly might be after June 22
4. The CAT ferry from Maine is shut down for all of 2021, no matter if they open the borders or not.

And yes, I know it would be easier to fly into Nova Scotia but I'm trying to use up Southwest travel funds. Plus I need cancellation flexibility.

So in short, I'd like to save NS and the area for another time. My question is - assuming the borders open - if it's "worth it" to drive into New Brunswick on this trip. Or if Maine's coastal scenery is going to be comparable.

We are primarily sightseers, no plans for much hiking or camping. Will be settling in small towns and trying to relax. Enjoy museums, eating out and interesting sites. Would like to see Acadia National Park if its not overrun with leaf watchers.

I know this is highly subjective, but just over the border in NB is there enough to warrant a drive? Or should I save the experience for when we can travel straight to NS, maybe when Celtic Colours is going on.

Would be interested in your thoughts, thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 12:22 AM

The only time we've done the drive we were aiming for PEI so rushed thru New Brunswick. It's a long haul once you get north of Acadia and you only have a week. Since you are interested in museums I would recommend Rockland which has the Farnsworth Art Museum and nearby Owls Head Transportation Museum. Mid-coast Maine is our favorite part. Camden is supposed to have beautiful foliage and we love the auto road up Mt Battie. We usually get out our bag chairs and binnoculars. Good place for a picnic. There is also the Maritime Museum in Bath. Check to see if they are still running lighthouse cruises in October. You could do a circle inland to include the Cole Transportation Museum in Bangor and see if there are scheduled events at the Leonards Mills Logging Museum. We happened to visit when the men who restored the saw mill were there. The Cole features more work vehicles of all types whereas the Owls Head is classic cars and antique airplanes. Some weekends they have the planes flying.

one summer we decided to stay in the Blue Hill area which is just south of Acadia. When we went over the bridge to Deer Isle I thought it looked fery familiar ... and it turned out to be designed by the same person who designed the Tacoma Narrows bridge. You can find a youTube video of that engineering disaster. We were told alterations were made to the Maine bridge which must work since the bridge is still standing. A friend likes the Penobscott Narrows Bridge and Fort Knox but we haven't visited just driven over the bridge which is very interesting. You would probably go over it on way north to Ellsworth and Acadia.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 04:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
No.
By October, everything will be boarded up.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 07:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Check on the availability of rental cars that you can take across the border hoping that the border is otherwise open. From Calais ME to the Nova Scotia border is less than 6 hours as I recall. Be sure to see the Tidal Bore at some point.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by cdominey
Hello,

My wife and I have a trip planned to Maine from October 5-13, flying into Portland. My original intent was to explore coastal Maine then drive all the way to Nova Scotia (where I really wanted to go, been to Maine before). But I've nixxed that idea because:

1. I underestimated the drive, it's too long and I want to spend more relaxing time there
2. The Celtic Colours festival is all virtual this year
3. Borders are not open to U.S. tourists right now, but possibly might be after June 22
4. The CAT ferry from Maine is shut down for all of 2021, no matter if they open the borders or not.

And yes, I know it would be easier to fly into Nova Scotia but I'm trying to use up Southwest travel funds. Plus I need cancellation flexibility.

So in short, I'd like to save NS and the area for another time. My question is - assuming the borders open - if it's "worth it" to drive into New Brunswick on this trip. Or if Maine's coastal scenery is going to be comparable.

We are primarily sightseers, no plans for much hiking or camping. Will be settling in small towns and trying to relax. Enjoy museums, eating out and interesting sites. Would like to see Acadia National Park if its not overrun with leaf watchers.

I know this is highly subjective, but just over the border in NB is there enough to warrant a drive? Or should I save the experience for when we can travel straight to NS, maybe when Celtic Colours is going on.

Would be interested in your thoughts, thanks!

My thought is... do NOT put-off Nova Scotia until it's 'too late'.

(I am NOT saying scramble around and make it on THIS trip)

But if I were driving into NB from Maine... (I'd first say a prayer about the most dense fog I've ever driven in, between St. John's and the Maine border, along the coastal path - forget
"lining up the hood ornament with the white line on the side of the road"... couldn't see that far! This was stare out the side window and stay parallel to the center line (with, of course, not another soul on the road)

Soon I'd be teasing myself trying to be drawn all of the way to Hopewell Cape, or something...

I liked St. John... but beyond that, I don't really know what more you might gain from driving into NB.

So I'm leaning toward advising you not bothering with NB to that minimal extent.

Just wait for your big effort to NS one day!

Old Jun 15th, 2021, 07:33 AM
J62

NY Times has an intersting article on Rt 1 through Maine. The last segment gives you an idea of what's up there in northern Maine, along the NB border.

Driving the States of Maine
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks J62 - I have a subscription and didn't even see that!
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I decided to cancel the Maine trip for this year and dedicate a trip to NS when everything is opened up. Plus I made a promise to my wife not to condense so much into our travels and relax a bit more - which is not what would have happened under my initial plan. But I'm bookmarking these ideas for next time!