Driving from Pennsylvania to Oregon

Old Apr 27th, 2021, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Pennsylvania to Oregon

Hello this is my first post ever just wanted some tips I’ve read a lot on here about other people driving to Oregon but I just wanted to say that this will be my first time ever driving across the country alone just wanted to know what to expect an stuff like that it says I’ll get there in 40hrs but that’s a lie Lol should I take the turn pike all the way or idk I never experienced anything like this I’m using a rental car would take a flight but can’t don’t like planes
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 05:18 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US board
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 06:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Why does this remind me of the final chapter of James Joyce's Ulysses lol solo cross country trip tips lol take the train.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 02:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
For a solo trip across the country, take the Amtrak Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh then wait until about midnight to get on the Amtrak Capitol Limited to Chicago. The train runs all night and gets you to Chicago before 10AM. Spend several hours seeing the sights of Chicago before getting on the Empire Builder all the way to Portland Oregon. The other option from Chicago is the California Zephyr to Sacramento CA and then the midnight train (Coast Starlight) which has stops in Oregon of Klamath Falls, Eugene, Salem, Portland and others. Rental cars are in short supply this year and you don't want to drive by yourself and pay a big drop fee.
In 2005, my wife and I drove from central Pennsylvania to central Oregon in 4 long days. Our trips back to PA since then have involved Amtrak trains and a rental car rented and returned in PA.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 01:43 PM

Tom really doesn't have a bad idea this time. If it's one way you should check all the fees, etc. And if you have "stuff", just add that in too. Just take the train.
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You need a road map. You need to plot your route. There is no single "turn pike" that will take you all the way from back east out to Oregon. Are you going to sleep in motels each night? You have a one-way rental arranged already? I ask because that's often an expensive proposition.

Are you sure you can't get over your fear of flying? That sure would be a lot easier Or consider the train idea as proposed above.