Search

Big Sky w. Tweens & Teens

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2021, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Sky w. Tweens & Teens

Hi there!

I'm headed to Big Sky in January with 15 kids from 8 -17 years (I know, pray for me). Hoping to get them out from behind screens, to have a "Big Sky" experience...something they couldn't otherwise experience in either NY/LA or even Colorado or Utah. What are some things that are either super-local or super cool to entertain this bunch in the evenings after a day on the mountain? Fun restaurants, nature excursions, Mountain laser tag, local storyteller, stargazing.... I'm literally open to ANYTHING! Except for a long drive...we'll be staying at the Montage Big Sky. TIA!!
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 11:38 AM

Lone Mountain Ranch does horse drawn sleigh rides. They also have groomed cross country skiing if you want to take a break from downhill.

There is a zipline at Big Sky.

Make sure to take the tram to the top of Lone Mountain. On clear days, you can see the Grand Tetons. There are usually a few mountain goats hanging out in the couloirs.

The Lotus Pad is our favorite restaurant in Big Sky. It's in the Town Center.
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU!! Are local to Big Sky by chance?
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by vbarone
THANK YOU!! Are local to Big Sky by chance?
I grew up an hour or so away and we now spend a weekend there every year.

It’s a longer drive but you could look into snowmobiling in Yellowstone.
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 11:59 AM

This isn't an evening activity but we had a blast driving dog sleds Dog Sled Adventures

If you haven't been to Yellowstone, I'd also recommend a snowcoach or snowmobile tour. The closest departure point is West Yellowstone an hour away. I believe there are tour companies that can provide transportation from Big Sky if you don't want to drive.

You'll want to book early for either activity.
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 05:32 PM

One thing to remember--if you are from a lower altitude, even teens get exhausted skiing all day at higher altitude. You might find by the time they ski, shower, and eat a big dinner, they will crash pretty quickly. The other issue is that it is BUTT cold in January and they may not want to do more outside stuff--especially at night when it is really, really cold. And I say this as someone who lived in Idaho for years and now lives in northern Utah. I would take it easy the first day or so and see how they do.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StantonHyde
One thing to remember--if you are from a lower altitude, even teens get exhausted skiing all day at higher altitude. You might find by the time they ski, shower, and eat a big dinner, they will crash pretty quickly. The other issue is that it is BUTT cold in January and they may not want to do more outside stuff--especially at night when it is really, really cold. And I say this as someone who lived in Idaho for years and now lives in northern Utah. I would take it easy the first day or so and see how they do.
Totally agree...but you know how it goes, I’d rather have a plan that we don’t need than no plan at all!
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by vbarone
Totally agree...but you know how it goes, I’d rather have a plan that we don’t need than no plan at all!
Yes, you are spot on!!!