Reload this Page >

Itinerary check for Peru (family trip)

Search

Itinerary check for Peru (family trip)

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2021, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlgb
I propose next April that the crellstons, baldone and myself should arrange to meet in Mexico!!

Sounds good to me!

Just had my second Pfizer jab last week only to find out that it’s likely the U.K. will be offering a third in the autumn to cope with variants. should be good to go just about anywhere by next year (hopefully)

Also looking to tick off another section of my long held ambition of to travel the whole of the Panamerican Highway with a road trip from LA to Seattle - may be back to pick your brains on that one mlgb!
Old May 4th, 2021, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ToujoursVoyager
@

hiring additional porters because I am not as strong as the Peruvian women that can hike long distances with their children on their back.
I know that feeling! I remember camping at the home village of Juan, one of guides on our trek from Lares to Ollantaytambo. Juan’s mother brought us some coca tea for breakfast. After (in my mind at least) a long hard final days trek we arrived in the plaza in Ollantaytambo. Sitting outside Hearts Cafe (where we ended up volunteering for a month or so), totally exhausted and enjoying a beer, who should come and say hello but Juans mother. She had beaten us there by several hours, sold her produce at the market and was heading home to see the grandkids! Any pride I had in my achievement in completing the trek was very firmly put into context!
Old May 4th, 2021, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
Sounds good to me!

Just had my second Pfizer jab last week only to find out that it’s likely the U.K. will be offering a third in the autumn to cope with variants. should be good to go just about anywhere by next year (hopefully)

Also looking to tick off another section of my long held ambition of to travel the whole of the Panamerican Highway with a road trip from LA to Seattle - may be back to pick your brains on that one mlgb!
Okay, but I didn't even know where the Panamerican Highway was in the US. Wikipedia suggests it can be any of the northbound Interstate Highways that hook up with the Mexican ones. I think you will want to throw in the I-5 leg that continues down to San Diego in that case, just to tick it off. Unfortunately if it has to be an Interstate, you are stuck with I-5 in California which isn't especially scenic for 80% of it, just fast!

Old May 4th, 2021, 11:45 PM

My Panamerican ambition was promoted years ago by watching a very old tv documentary documentary film ‘Three Damn Fools’, about a journalist Sullivan Richardson who, in 1941, decided to travel the Pan-American highway from Detroit to Ushuaia. Part of it was recreated by two Irish comedians in a BBC series

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...-big-adventure

I think it is a bit like Route 66 or the Blues Trail for Memphis to Chicago two other considerations when we get around to our US sojourn, in that you can do it slow on the byroads or fast on the highways.

Anyway we are getting off topic so I will stop here and start another post in the US forums when things are a little clearer re travel bans etc.