Haifa to Eilat: worth a drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2021, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are dreaming/planning a trip to Israel for the fall if all works out covid-wise. My initial thinking is to start with 5 days in the north and then go all the way down to Eilat for a few days before finishing in Jerusalem and surrounding area. I know it is a quick flight from Ben Gurian to Eilat, but wondered if the somewhat longer drive might be worth it in terms of what might be seen along the way. Sometimes the out of the way places that most tourists skip are the best part of our travels and wondered if this might be true for the road to Eilat as well. I spent several months in Israel many many years ago, but never made it to Eilat. My husband has never been so we are very excited for this hoped-for journey. Thanks ps. it feels great to be posting on fodors once more. I hope all are well.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 01:59 PM

It has been more than a few years but we made that trip starting from Kiryat Yam a bit north of Haifa and driving to Eilat and then to Jerusalem.
I don’t think you would save time driving to Tel Aviv and flying, considering driving straight to Eilat should easily be under 6 hours not counting stops. There are lots of potential stops along the way according to your tastes.

Driving back we took the route to Jerusalem through the Jordan Valley along the Dead Sea visiting Masada, the Dead Sea “beach” for a dip and shower and Ein Gedi. This was a very scenic drive completely different from the drive south. It takes longer so we opted for an overnight stop along the way.
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 01:18 AM

How many days in your trip? What do you want to do in Eilat? It is a beach resort and if you are not particularly interested in snorkeling and tanning then it won't be worth your while. Another reason to go to Eilat is to continue to Petra from there, but the feasibility of going to Jordan is dependent on the length of your trip. If you only want to spend some time in the desert, then visiting Mitzpe Ramon and the Dead Sea will be sufficient. You should also budget a day or two in Tel-Aviv to see the museums, historical neighborhoods, etc.
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

why Eilat?

Thanks Basingstoke2, and that s such a good question Mbgg, you are right, it would be silly just to go for the beach as there are plenty of other beach locations easier to get to. I was drawn by the coral reefs and mostly the experience of the Negev and it looked from the guidebook like there would be interesting national parks/hiking around there. Having said that we are not as young as we once were and shouldn't take on anything too strenuous. I was very interested in Petra, but reading other posts it sounds like it might be physically challenging, and tough to do as a day trip.

The trip isn't set in stone yet as we are waiting for both countries to give the go ahead to travel, but we are thinking two weeks, maybe 15 or 16 nights depending.. It does sound like the drives themselves (and Basingstoke2, what you suggested is exactly what I was thinking re returning via Masada and the Dead Sea) might be worth it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 04:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lauramsgarden
Thanks Basingstoke2, and that s such a good question Mbgg, you are right, it would be silly just to go for the beach as there are plenty of other beach locations easier to get to. I was drawn by the coral reefs and mostly the experience of the Negev and it looked from the guidebook like there would be interesting national parks/hiking around there. Having said that we are not as young as we once were and shouldn't take on anything too strenuous. I was very interested in Petra, but reading other posts it sounds like it might be physically challenging, and tough to do as a day trip.

The trip isn't set in stone yet as we are waiting for both countries to give the go ahead to travel, but we are thinking two weeks, maybe 15 or 16 nights depending.. It does sound like the drives themselves (and Basingstoke2, what you suggested is exactly what I was thinking re returning via Masada and the Dead Sea) might be worth it.
Hi lauramsgarden -- Wondering if you went to Israel? I Have always appreciated your TRS and would love to hear if you made the trip to Israel. thanks
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 05:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
oops posted twice and cant seem to delete the second one