Search

Santiago Chile

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2021, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not know this particular restaurant, but I see that it is located in Lo Barnachea. (the link does not work for me for some reason) This neighbourhood is quite a trek from your hotel in Lastarria, and I would consider that it would have to be really really fantastic to warrant such a long trip there and back. There are surely at least as good places closer in that may be open around New Year's. Also from what I can gather, they still appear to be a take-out only establishment at this time - perhaps you found different information ?!?

Did you check to see if Mestizo might be open by any chance? (At the far end of parque Bicentenario, next to the pink flamingo pond, beautiful patio for eating, mestizorestaurant.cl) There are also a number of upscale places near the park for example along Alonso de Cordova in the same area of Vitacura.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 06:39 AM

Are taxis crazy pricey? What about UBER? Owner cannot promise fesh centolla this far ahead and I read that the frozen does measure up..never having had this, I am eager to try the fresh specimen....

Will check your ideas soon..thank you!
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 04:53 PM

Hmmmm ... not sure how to answer this delicate topic. It sounds as if your heart is set on this restaurant. I am certainly more than aware that one cannot generalize, but in my personal experience I have yet to encounter an honest taxi driver in STGO ... and this despite speaking fluent Spanish!!! As a result I now avoid them at all costs. It is sad for the honest ones which I am sure must exist somewhere, but again this is based on my experience only.

As for Uber, they were (and maybe still are?) illegal in Chile even though they do operate there regardless. I tried them once and sadly had an unpleasant trip experience as well. As they are (were?) illegal, you have no recourse in case of problems.

I believe Cabify is however indeed legal in Chile, but I have not tried them yet so am unable to comment. (We are fortunate to have made over time local friends who are often willing to take us around).

Keep in mind that the fastest route from Lastarria to Lo Barnachea is by taking the Costanera highway, which has (not inexpensive) tolls which add to the total fare.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 01:35 PM

OY vey!

Will check more ideas when I feel better.....lots of places are closed 1 and 2 enero....

So how do the taxis cheat? Fake bills? Overcharging meter???? I am pretty fluent in Spanish if that matters....

This whole trip is giving me a headache..four Covid tests..quarantine in Hotel Singular the first day..and now my back is out so can barely pack.....thank you for your immense help here...

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Dec 10th, 2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 07:59 AM

Ayayaye sorry to hear about your predicament, ekscrunchy. I hope things will look brighter for you soon. I am on the road these days and my on-line time is limited; re-reading my hastily written last post I certainly did not mean to be too negative in its tone and hope it did not come across that way as I wanted to at least provide you with a quick heads-up.

For airport transfers, I would highly recommend TransVip where you pay with credit card at the airport before exiting the secure passenger area. All inclusive flat rate (tip incl.) and you have the option of shared van or private car. Both work extremely well and I have used them several times www.transvip.cl. Ignore the touts who will approach you in the arrivals area (but you know this already). I see that they now have added transportation service within the city (yay!) which may be an option for you. That would probably be fine as well I suspect. (you book ahead on-line and the fare is established at that time)

I would think that Cabify would also be an option to consider, though I have yet to try them.

Be wary of taking taxis near popular tourist sites, including Costanera Centre, Cerro San Cristobal, hotels with a large foreigner clientele, etc. Unless things have changed with COVID, they are cash only and you NEVER pay with large bills as the drivers never (how remarkable isn't it !!!!) seem to have change apart from coins and a few small bills. If your Spanish accent is not Chilean (mine is not), expect to be taken through circuitous routes (I now have a lay of the land and can fairly easily detect this), usual tricks etc. I did not come across fake bill issues and do not think that would be a major problem.

I hope things start to look brighter for you soon!
Old Dec 13th, 2021, 05:20 PM

So now to make things more interesting, partner has developed kidney stones and more and good luck even trying to make md appt in NYC. So likely he has to cancel...big question, do I postpone for third time or go alone? As much as I want him with me to enjoy, I do not want to miss yet another chance...do you thinks single woman speaking Spanish would have any issues going solo???? Trip is Santiago, Natales Singular, Awasi Patagonia and Awasi Atacama.....plus airport Holiday Inn.

SO DISAPPOINTING and scary beyond belief (about his health) after all the work and $$ involved but we can likely use insurance for his share. Am I a selfish jerk not to wait for next year (third cancellation) and go it alone? He does not care much--always encouraging about my solo travels....TMI, I know, but I am at a crossroads and have to decide within a few days and do not know where to turn...

All opinions welcome..

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Dec 13th, 2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old Dec 14th, 2021, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

eks- My wife of over 50 years, and I discussed your post, and decided we would not proceed to travel alone. Keep in mind that we have always traveled together, and now have at least 3 more international trips planned. At our age, we could certainly see us in your predicament. However, this is a personal decision and we could see you making a completely different decision. I have followed a lot of your helpful posts over the years, and it seems that you are quite adventureous. I suspect you have traveled alone before, so if your boyfriend is okay with it, then go for it. Please remember to keep us posted. BTW, our Santiago trip has twice been cancelled. Hopefully we will go in April 2023.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 11:26 AM

I am now leaning toward going alone out of JFK via MIA onAA..very scary for several reasons but will know more in a few days..meanwhile there is a nattonal company that comes to your house and gives you PCR tests and results guaranteed in 24 hours, The Urgent Care places in Manhattan now have blocks-long lines!!! Lucky I got the last flu shot in md's office yesterday.
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 05:28 AM

Good for you, ekscrunchy ! These type of decisions are something very personal and depend on your personal views and values.

If it can be of any comfort to you, I personally know of two (unrelated) women who traveled alone to Chile and more for extended periods (a few months) and both had the time of their lives! One is a well-traveled lady in her 60's, and the other a not so well traveled young woman in her early 30's. They had a grand time and made some (probably) lifelong friends along the way.
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 07:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Ekscrunchy, good luck with whatever decision you make. We enjoyed our time in Chile.
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 01:35 AM

Great support, guys!! Today had infusion therapy (bone density med) and my back was so bad I had to be taken up and down in a wheelchair!!!!! Then blood pressure so high (190-plus) they wanted me to go to the ER!!!!! I am telling you, worst month of my life..worried sick about partner but maybe it will be good to get away---only 2 weeks...I will be a little nervous but once I get on plane (had to order wheelchair due to back issues all of a sudden!) TMI, I know!!

As long as back holds out I leave on 30th from JFK.

Notice time of post!!!! But sleeping on heating pad is great!! And have back md appt this week.

Thanks so much,,this is what Fodor's is about, and it is the only sort-of social media I do.
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

eks- You got real grit to want to travel. Sorry about your issues. I hope you are fully vaccinated and boosted. You don't need more issues. Please keep us posted about the trip and your health. Good luck, and our prayers are with you and your partner.
Old Dec 19th, 2021, 03:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Eks, I'm no doctor, just pretend to be one on travel forums. But both my wife and I have chronic pain issues, mostly lower back. This gizmo helps. It's a PEMF medical device, not TENS. The battery lasts 720 hours.
https://www.donjoyperformance.com/eme-back-wrap
This is how PEMF works.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsed..._field_therapy
Fwiw.

Old Dec 20th, 2021, 02:04 PM

On the transfer issue, I did use TransVIP from the airport a million years ago (2009). And the Holiday Inn was very near the airport so first stop, IIRC.

This is what I wrote to a friend asking about my trip

The Santiago airport is a breeze compared to Lima, almost everyone speaks English, it's easy to get a taxi or shared shuttle (Transvip, ask where it is).. I would take a taxi back rather than the shuttle. Santiago is a big city, probably doesn't need more than a day or two. I wound up using the Metro and walking. There is a good PreColumbian Museum, and I liked La Chascona (one of the Pablo Neruda houses). A number of folks mentioned liking the funicular/cable car that starts near La Chascona.

I think I recommended using a taxi back to the airport because Transvip like most shuttles wanted such a long lead time.

But nowadays maybe Transvip is a better option.

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 20th, 2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 06:00 PM

To all of you helpful folks..had to postpone again for third time until January 2023....medical issues for partner. Red tape to enter Chile was a bit of a nightmare..between that, my back, and partner's issues, lots of forms I could not download, last minute cancel of COVID test I booked weeks ago,,,,could not focus on trip. Made me so much more stressed than any trip I had taken with no agent) from Burma in the 70s and 80s and 90s, to Zimbabwe to Java, on and on..this was an entire new ball game even with help from KNOWMAD TRAVEL......just could not do it.

Determined to go in a 2022-2023.....also on my list are Vejer area, Sicily, and Zim.......let's hope partner is ok to go with me!!!!!

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Dec 28th, 2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

eks- Sounds like you made a sound decision. Besides, we want to read about your future travels. Best to you and your partner.
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 06:32 AM

Thanks so much for all your support. This does not sound like me but I just could not do it. Then I realized, I would have to wear a mask from JFK to MIA and MIA to Santiago overnight..Ok, I could deal with that, and Chile is surely safer for all their precautions, but every day the regulations changed and I could just not keep up....could not download some of the forms, some of the websites I could barely understand although I am pretty fluent in Spanish. Then the Covid test doc who was scheduled to come to house 72 hours in advance of flight canceled..could not even understand their website and texts in ENGLISH!! (BeeperMD)

And then there are the medical issues for both of us..mine will get better I am pretty sure, but worried about partner..........run off to Chile and leave him alone???? I will take a big financial hit but just have to deal with that, with help of travel agent Krista at Knowmad..very helpful and recommended.
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 11:50 AM

I fully understand this difficult decision and letdown, ekscrunchy. These are unsettled times for travel plans, and your plight is similar to that of many other persons no doubt. I received news from Chilean friends this week mentioning something to the effect "we are waiting for you, where are you guys?"; as hard as it is we are also foregoing travel for the next few months.

Best wishes to both of you for recovery of your medical issues.