Roads from Cody Wyoming to cooke city, mt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2021, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone travelled this road? We are renting a 32' RV. Traveling 4th of July week. Do you think we can take this road or should we do the "long way around"?
The eastern loop road through Yellowstone is apparently closed for the entire summer!
We are looking at take Rd. 20/16 to Cody.
Then north on Rt 120 to Rt. 296 to Rt. 212 -- Cooke City and then west through the northeast entrance back into Yellowstone.

Or would we be better off to go north on 120 to 308 and back down to 212?

I am always taking my family on an "adventure" but I don't want it to be scary....
Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would take the Chief Joseph (296) to 212. Taking the Beartooth (212) all the way from Red Lodge will take longer, go over higher elevations (the highest point on the Beartooth is about 3000 ft higher than the highest point on the Chief Joseph) and have more twisty sections. Where do you end up that evening? Another option for less winding roads is to enter via the east entrance from Cody. Only Dunraven Pass (Canyon to Tower) is closed in Yellowstone.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you

We are coming from Cody and going around to the north because some of the Yellowstone roads and campgrounds are closed
planning to get as far as Gardiner

Originally Posted by Patty
I would take the Chief Joseph (296) to 212. Taking the Beartooth (212) all the way from Red Lodge will take longer, go over higher elevations (the highest point on the Beartooth is about 3000 ft higher than the highest point on the Chief Joseph) and have more twisty sections. Where do you end up that evening? Another option for less winding roads is to enter via the east entrance from Cody. Only Dunraven Pass (Canyon to Tower) is closed in Yellowstone.